• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What happens after you die?

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    i think life goes on but we can not imagine how, maybe it will continue in a completly different way that we cant understand in this life with that primitive sort of brain.

Jakeremix

Poképro~
    Years
    I don't believe that you simply black out and fall into a dreamless sleep when you die. Your spirit has to leave your body after your heart stops, and if all you did was black out, where would your spirit go?

I believe we have some understanding of what happens when you die. There are those, both dead and alive, that have proven that there is an afterlife. At this point in time, there's obviously no way for us to see Heaven (if that is indeed the place you go), so we have no clue what it looks like or where it is. Just that it exists.

I also believe that some (but most likely very few) are reincarnated. I recently read something that suggested that everyone in the world is the same person due to reincarnation, but we lose our memories from our past life after being put into a new body. So really, there are only two people who exist in the world- me (who is also you) and God. It's really crazily interesting if you read it.

By the way, I'm not a Christian. I'm a theist- one who believes in God, but doesn't believe in religion.

Years
    As a tantric Buddhist, I am going to offer my input on this so please don't be offended if I say something wrong but after when you die you enter a state called Bardo where you stay in a strange world for 49 days before a underworld judge passes judgement on you for your good deeds and your bad deeds. Soon after that based on that judgment you are reborn any where as a result of your good/bad deeds such as god in heaven or a hell being suffering in hell and between the 49 days you r spirit has the ability to go anywhere.

Or to put it simply my view is that after when you die, within 49 days you will be reborn any where based on your actions in life whether good or bad, with the exception of sages which in that case is very rare in this world.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I think we are reborn somehow; there have been reports on children being born with memories from a past life, and that's really the only actual clue for me. Everything else I find hard to believe.

I do have this theory where we are all in a crazy computer program, but this post would be about 2 1080p screen lengths for me to describe.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    Well, I've been looking over this issue for some time myself, and I think, based on all my searching, I have reached a very accurate conclusion.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
    Years
    I don't believe that you simply black out and fall into a dreamless sleep when you die. Your spirit has to leave your body after your heart stops, and if all you did was black out, where would your spirit go?
    Some believe that there is no such thing as 'your spirit', and that your spirit is simply a creation of your brain, and when your brain dies, so does it.

I believe we have some understanding of what happens when you die. There are those, both dead and alive, that have proven that there is an afterlife. At this point in time, there's obviously no way for us to see Heaven (if that is indeed the place you go), so we have no clue what it looks like or where it is. Just that it exists.
    Proof that it exists? Where? Sorry if that sounded snooty, I just don't think we've ever found solid evidence (meaning everyone agrees on it) that there is an afterlife.

I also believe that some (but most likely very few) are reincarnated. I recently read something that suggested that everyone in the world is the same person due to reincarnation, but we lose our memories from our past life after being put into a new body. So really, there are only two people who exist in the world- me (who is also you) and God. It's really crazily interesting if you read it.
    I'll read it, linky?

By the way, I'm not a Christian. I'm a theist- one who believes in God, but doesn't believe in religion.

So there's my input, I don't believe in reincarnation, it just doesn't make sense.

Years
    I like to think that we are reborn. Maybe not as a person at first (unless you were a really good boy/ girl). I also like the idea of karma, as in that it has an impact on to what we are reborn as.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    I like to think that we are reborn. Maybe not as a person at first (unless you were a really good boy/ girl). I also like the idea of karma, as in that it has an impact on to what we are reborn as.

Exactly my point of view. I believe that there you are made of a body and a mind, and when you die your mind reincarnates into a new body. Doesn't have to be a human, maybe an animal. But you are reincarnated.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I think there's nothing, which is why my drive to enjoy my current life as much as I can is so great, and why I have an unhealthy obsession with immortality. Cryonics seems promising. Brain uploading... maybe.

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    I think there's nothing, which is why my drive to enjoy my current life as much as I can is so great, and why I have an unhealthy obsession with immortality. Cryonics seems promising. Brain uploading... maybe.

Well, frankly, if there's nothing, you won't be around to regret doing or not doing anything anyway.
    And, to be fair, people have been seeking immortality throughout history, whether they believed in god(s) or not.

twocows

Years
    Well, frankly, if there's nothing, you won't be around to regret doing or not doing anything anyway.
    And, to be fair, people have been seeking immortality throughout history, whether they believed in god(s) or not.
    I would regret it now and later, and that's enough. It's not as though I live in a destructive way that will make me suffer later. But my interest in immortality specifically comes from my belief that nothing comes after. I want to live as long as possible because I like living and I like who I am. I don't want that to end, and I believe it will someday, so I'm hoping to put that off as long as possible.

Tek

Years
    I would regret it now and later, and that's enough. It's not as though I live in a destructive way that will make me suffer later. But my interest in immortality specifically comes from my belief that nothing comes after. I want to live as long as possible because I like living and I like who I am. I don't want that to end, and I believe it will someday, so I'm hoping to put that off as long as possible.

Immortality, a.k.a. eternal life. It would seem you've defined eternal as everlasting duration, a horror I hope I'm never subjected to. There is another definition, though.

That which is eternal is that which exists outside of time, that which is utterly unaffected by temporal succession. And thou, "Thou art that." Immortality, in this regard, is the status quo.

Last edited:

twocows

Years
    Immortality, a.k.a. eternal life. It would seem you've defined eternal as everlasting duration, a horror I hope I'm never subjected to. There is another definition, though.

That which is eternal is that which exists outside of time, that which is utterly unaffected by temporal succession. And thou, "Thou art that." Immortality, in this regard, is the status quo.
    There are several definitions of immortality; one you missed is eternal youth. To be honest, I'd be fine with any of them, provided I can at least interface with my surroundings in some way. Being incapacitated for the rest of time and then some wouldn't be my idea of fun, but provided I can at least get out of the solar system before the sun goes nova and make my way throughout the universe, I think I'd be fine. Eventually, it'd probably end up something like this; there's more than enough matter for me to invent machines after humanity dies out, and with nothing else to do (other than bask in the insanity), I'd end up inventing AI eventually (or going completely bonkers, in which case I won't much care), which would be more than good enough. This is all assuming humanity itself doesn't survive and do all this first.

Obviously, other forms of immortality might be better, but I think I'd cope just fine.

Back