• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if Ash..

kyuubi93

What a bother
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2018
    Just like the title states, this is a "What If Ash -" discussion thread, where we discuss the what if's, what could be, in genera what we'd personally love to see.

Anyways, what if Ash stopped going to new regions and renewed his motives?

When I say renew his motives, I really mean what if we went on another campaign through a region he's already been through, but this time cycle through all the Pokemon he already has to make them stronger, and to get the best and strongest out of every gym leader.

I think it would be an interesting what if if Ash decided to take a position as a gym leader/elite 4/frontier brain.

What are your guys' "What if" thoughts regarding Ash?

Years
    I heave a wistful sigh and think "what if" every time Ash separates from one of his Pokemon.

My biggest 'what if' takes me all the back to season I at the Indigo Pokemon League. What if Ash had not played charizard against Ritchie?

Even though Ash was at a real disadvantage because his usual Pokemon team was not at full health due to team rocket's interference I think it was still a salvageable battle. He still had other Pokemon he could have used. Why not give muk a chance as his third Pokemon? He had just saved the day on the grass field in the last episode.

I remember in Ash's fight against Erika in Pokemon Scentsation his charmander got one whiff of gloom's stench and fainted without even being able to launch an attack. Maybe Ritchie's charmander Zeppo would have bolted too? Muk's odor is waaaaaaaaaaay worse than gloom's.

Based on the Sparks Fly for Magnemite episode I think Muk could have taken down Sparky the pikachu too. In that ep Ash's pikachu's powers were on steroids, it was storing so much excess voltage that its body became magnetized. Even with all of that when pikachu zapped muk with everything it had muk barely blinked. Muk had to be corned with double attacks from pikachu combining its strength with the magnemites to finally wear it down enough to be captured.

If Muk, a pretty good physical attacker was able to give its body slam to two un-evolved Pokemon with delicate defenses history very well could have been rewritten.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I think most of my "what if's" for him revolve around canon situations that he totally avoided. Mostly, what if he kept all of his stronger Pokemon? What if he stayed the in Hoenn and became a Frontier Brain? I would love to him become stronger as a person and a trainer, and stop turning out all of his opportunities to do so.

Also, what if he kept in contact with all of his old friends, and they still met up? Some of them are gym leaders, and if he were also one, or a Frontier Brain, they could have some cool battles, IMO.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I heave a wistful sigh and think "what if" every time Ash separates from one of his Pokemon.

My biggest 'what if' takes me all the back to season I at the Indigo Pokemon League. What if Ash had not played charizard against Ritchie?

Even though Ash was at a real disadvantage because his usual Pokemon team was not at full health due to team rocket's interference I think it was still a salvageable battle. He still had other Pokemon he could have used. Why not give muk a chance as his third Pokemon? He had just saved the day on the grass field in the last episode.

I remember in Ash's fight against Erika in Pokemon Scentsation his charmander got one whiff of gloom's stench and fainted without even being able to launch an attack. Maybe Ritchie's charmander Zeppo would have bolted too? Muk's odor is waaaaaaaaaaay worse than gloom's.

Based on the Sparks Fly for Magnemite episode I think Muk could have taken down Sparky the pikachu too. In that ep Ash's pikachu's powers were on steroids, it was storing so much excess voltage that its body became magnetized. Even with all of that when pikachu zapped muk with everything it had muk barely blinked. Muk had to be corned with double attacks from pikachu combining its strength with the magnemites to finally wear it down enough to be captured.

If Muk, a pretty good physical attacker was able to give its body slam to two un-evolved Pokemon with delicate defenses history very well could have been rewritten.
    Although I wonder if Muk's stench was still there after being caught and becoming so affectionate afterwards because the stench mentioned again, I do agree that things could've been different if he didn't use Charizard. He used Charizard out of desperation, and most people don't think fully rationally and clearly in desperate situations. But yes, he had Muk as well as Kingler who came up big for him in previous rounds. He also could've had Squirtle withdraw against Butterfree so it wouldn't have effected by the sleep powder.

Years
    Although I wonder if Muk's stench was still there after being caught and becoming so affectionate afterwards because the stench mentioned again, I do agree that things could've been different if he didn't use Charizard. He used Charizard out of desperation, and most people don't think fully rationally and clearly in desperate situations. But yes, he had Muk as well as Kingler who came up big for him in previous rounds. He also could've had Squirtle withdraw against Butterfree so it wouldn't have effected by the sleep powder.

Some really good points you bring up. I had just assumed Muk always smelled and was really toxic because of how professor Oak reacts when Muk tries to show him affection. I don't know if he would always try to run away and flail around if say a Chansey tried to hug him. I also noticed Jeanette covered the bottom half of her face when Muk was released from his pokeball, I thought she was trying to cover her nose because of how bad he smelled. But I could be wrong on that.

Yeah, I sympathize with Ash playing Charizard because of the reasons you said. He had to act quickly and under the pressure didn't see all of the options. Though Charizard should have in truth been boxed episodes ago. Ash entered the pokemon league with a pokemon on his roster that he knew almost never was functional. That may be more telling about his judgment.

Tauros could have been occupying the space for Charizard, another powerful Pokemon that Ash never thought about using one time in season 1. Tauros threw a friggin venasaur into the sky during battle with Drake. He even took Anabel's Metagross down with him, so he definitely could have done some real damage in this fight.

Kingler I thought about as well. Would have definitely gotten rid of the charmander, risky though since Richie still had a Pikachu hanging around. But at least Kingler was a Pokemon that would battle.

As you brought up, losing squirtle was devestating. It could have revenge killed the charmander after Ash's pikachu fell, and left Ash space to play whoever he wanted against Sparky for his 3rd pokemon, bulbasaur, muk etc.

While we think about what might have been, what if during all those months training as he was waiting in Pallet for the league to begin Ash had called up primeape and brought him to the Pokemon league? Alas, I don't think they ever meet again. Just like Charizard and Squirtle paused left their duties to help Ash in later seasons, Primeape could too.

Back