• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if Pikachu did evolve?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    If Pikachu can easily send two retarded adults and a talking cat along with a blue Pokemon that flies even though it was hit by it and only appears after the impact due to a change of negative and positive charges all the way to the Stratosphere...

Then are you gonna expect a Raichu to do the same? Or would it kill Team Rocket of electrocution/Exospheric suffocation?

zerwey

:3
    Years
    What would happen if pikachu evolved .... He would be a raichu thats all lol i dont think it would of made that much difference except it would walk around more cause ash couldnt carry it

Good point, Raichu would be much, much heavier and so fat xP

A ten year old wouldn't be able to carry a Raichu -- only in the most extreme and dire situations...

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Well, I do admit there are some points in the show where it isn't very interesting, but Ash losing and learning lessons the harder way, rather than breezing through it with an Uber Raichu is a lot more interesting to me. Him evolving his Pikachu in a Raichu would kind of take that away, unless they some how make Raichu weaker, such as it couldn't control its excessive electricity any more. xD

Bulletproof

This time baby I'll be...
    Years
    EVERYTHING WOULD FALL APART!
    Okay, maybe not, but the whole point of Pikachu not evolving is...well I can't explain it, but if it was meant to happen they would've already done it.
    >.>
    I don't think I'm answering this thread right...
    the only thing with what you're saying that I agree with is the bottom part. you're not.

it would not fall apart, it would be an upgrade to the show. pokemon needs some new material imo, and for pikachu to evolve would be the day I'd have a party. there is more reason to evolve it than to not evolve it, the only reason to sop evolving it is that it has been around for years and people are so used to it.

he could evolve it any time. times change you know. why do you think they got rid of all the good things that have been around for years, such as retro cartoons? they moved on, and so should other old things in the past. pikachu is certainly one of them.

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years
    Well, I do admit there are some points in the show where it isn't very interesting, but Ash losing and learning lessons the harder way, rather than breezing through it with an Uber Raichu is a lot more interesting to me. Him evolving his Pikachu in a Raichu would kind of take that away, unless they some how make Raichu weaker, such as it couldn't control its excessive electricity any more. xD

True, but I doubt a single Raichu is that incredibly powerful.

And ofcourse they would make it weaker. Whats a main character without any flaws?

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Another question that could be asked (even though it is somewhat obvious), would Ash keep using the name 'Pikachu'? I mean its been like 12 seasons, and however much time passed by.

Even Pikachu would probably be confused, haha. It would be kind of funny though, if for the amount of times that Team Rocket has captured Pikachu, they've never though to carry a thunderstone with them, to force Pikachu to use it (even the evolution machine was a joke, and there was a much simpler way).

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Well, I'm pretty sure Ash would call it Raichu xD My only thought is that, even if Pikachu was to evolve, would it be through force or because it wanted to?

If it was through force, would Pikachu accept itself as it is?

Years
    If Pikachu evolved the Pokémon franchise would crumble. The iconic symbol of Pokémon would be gone, and the show would not air, the games would not sell, and the Pokémon world would all but disappear, except for the really really hardcore fanboys, and that wouldn't be that many people.

Bulletproof

This time baby I'll be...
    Years
    If Pikachu evolved the Pokémon franchise would crumble. The iconic symbol of Pokémon would be gone, and the show would not air, the games would not sell, and the Pokémon world would all but disappear, except for the really really hardcore fanboys, and that wouldn't be that many people.
    once again, people and things move on. the whole franchise would change, yes, but this wouldnt mean everything would go to an end. who knows, it might even get a new name rather than 'pokemon'.

these changes could benefit the fans. only people who seem to not want pikachu to change are the fangirls who are crazy, for example 'oh my gaaaawsh! nooo! don't change pikachu it's too cute! :3 :3 :3 raichu is ugly :<" which I couldn't care less about.

my haterid for pikachu is huge, and even through being a pokemon fan, pikachu gets too much attention and needs a serious change of image.

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years

Whoa.................hyperbole much?

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013

This is not necessarily true. As, there have been many other animes which have even changed characters completely, but still kept its popularity. Having Pikachu evolve, might actually bring in more interest as fans would want to see how the storyline plays out in the future.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Perhaps had they evolved (wooo pun...) the show from the beginning, than an evolution may make sense... But even up to season 11, nothing much has changed. Sure Ash is a bit more responsible and selfless but he is still stubborn and rash. But Team Rocket hasn't changed much...

I think, if they had developed him in a better way (even with the same characteristics), than Pikachu's evolution may make sense.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    That is a good reason [above] If Pikachu had to evolve, developing Ash's character a bit more would make it all have a little sense in the process.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
    The whole purpose of Pikachu not evolving is to prove that even the underdog can fight and win against its stronger opponent. In this case, a Raichu, who is supposed to be stronger than a Pikachu. While I think Raichu is definitely more cool looking, the show would lose that sort of innoccence of hope for the lower pokemon.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    ^I thought the same thing as well when I first read this. Ash is the type of trainer who uses a lot of under evolved Pokémon to show that a trainer can just as equally be as strong as any other trainer even if his Pokémon isn't fully evolved, and that goes for the whole purpose of Pikachu.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I think the ratings would go down, unfortunately. Fans are hob knockers for the yellow rat. I, personally, much prefer Raichu and would probably be more interested in the show if Raichu was the main Pokémon. Just think, an episode with a Gym battle, Raichu, and Shinji would give me a freaking heart attack. XD My three favorite aspects of the show. <3

Also, for those who say Raichu is 'too heavy' to be riding on Ash, then explain how he carried Larvitar on his back. kthxbai.​

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
    Pikachu evolving = dividing by zero
    =o

Hah. I kid. I wouldn't mind, but I honestly don't give a care anymore. I wanted to see Pikachu defeat that one Raichu a few episodes back as a Pikachu. Deeeeeep down, I'm a big dreamer and I want to see people succeed their way. if Pikachu refused to evolve, than so be it. I believe he can do fine without it.

Honestly, I just want Ash to teach Pikachu Return. That would be epicwin.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    As cool as it would be Pikachu evolving, it just wouldn't be as fun watching Pikachu get frustrated at Raichu and then later going to win the match against it. xD

Years
    The whole purpose of Pikachu not evolving is to prove that even the underdog can fight and win against its stronger opponent. In this case, a Raichu, who is supposed to be stronger than a Pikachu. While I think Raichu is definitely more cool looking, the show would lose that sort of innoccence of hope for the lower pokemon.

Exactly. The underdog story is the major theme of the anime and it just wouldn't make any sense to change it this far into the series.

I am confused as to why people think Raichu would be supremely powerful. Ash has had powerful Pokémon before (Snorlax, Charizard), and he didn't breeze through anything even with them. Besides, his Pikachu is powerful enough as it is; I don't think evolving it would give it that much more power--maybe Team Rocket would fly a little faster into space? XD

Pikachu is also one of the very few things that hasn't changed since the first season, and I think that's a good thing. Change is good and can be interesting, but you've still gotta keep some things the same as an homage to your roots. If Pikachu were to evolve, well...I don't think people would view it as being remotely the same show anymore. There's also a refreshing symbolism about him starting each journey anew with just his Pikachu--while I got used to and missed the Pokémon he had in Kanto, it was good reasoning and it would have made the show boring if he just kept the same overpowered Pokémon. Pikachu has always been set apart, though, and he's basically Ash's best friend.

Back