• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: What is considered an "active" thread?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I've seen many threads being closed across the forum because there is already an "active" thread on that topic.

So my question is when is a thread no longer considered active? Is it when it hasn't been posted in in over a month?

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • Yeah, that's pretty much it exactly.

Once a thread hasn't been posted in for over a month, it's no longer considered active and shouldn't be posted in.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    So once a month has passed it's okay for another member to create a thread of the same topic?

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Yes, but there are also certain areas of the board that allow topics to be posted in if it's been inactive for over a month.

I believe the Documents & Tutorials forum is one of them.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Stickies are pretty much always active, no matter how long it's been since the last post. Well, in my forums they're that way.

Leader Soulja Boy

Batesville Gym Leader
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 16, 2011
    So inactive is a month since a thread's last post or a month after the thread is created?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Though the answer has already been given, I've read through the thread and even I could get confused with what a possible, more direct answer, could compare to. So, that's what I'm going to do my best in writing. Hopefully this clears up any other questions you have regarding that specific nature of having a thread locked.

Moderators typically close threads in that matter in two situations. Like it's been said, a moderator would close the thread stating that there is already an active thread if a member replied to the thread and it's been more than a month since the last reply to it. In most cases that I've come to know, that isn't the reason that the thread is locked in such a manner. The more likely reason for the thread being closed is due to the fact that a thread of that nature already exists. For example, if you made a thread in Other Voting Polls about having a fire alarm, I would lock it and respond in the nature you're inquiring seeing as how there's already a thread on the subject that's active.

Also, like SilverSmeargleSplatter has stated, sticky threads are always "active", regardless of the last post. These are usually considered to be "official" threads of that particular section. If you were to reply to a sticky thread, such as the "What are you listening to" thread in Other Entertainment and it's been a month, two months, or even a year from the last reply (granted the thread is still stickied), it's pretty much a tradition to exempt sticky threads from the revival rule, regardless, due to this. However, it does depend on the moderator of that section, of course, on whether to enforce the rule on sticky threads as well. Though it is highly unlikely a thread will last a month without a reply, it has happened in the past with threads in the Questions and Feedback forum. So don't worry about reviving sticky threads if you have something important to say.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I have a a question, too. I know it's a month, but how long is a month considered? It can be 28, 29, 30, or 31 days. Is it based on the most recent month? (i.e. If the last post was February 1, then would March 1 (28 days away) or March 5th (31 days away) be the cutoff date?)

I suppose it'd make more sense to have one that is the same, either 30 or 31 days, but even if I'm right, which is it?

Unrelatedly, I know I could've made my own thread, but it was related to this topic, so I asked it here.

Years
  • If I recall correctly, to save that sort of potential misinterpretation, it's just the same number of days into the next month. So if a thread was last posted in on 26th September, the cut-off date would be the 26th of October, and if it was 14th May the cut-off date would be 14th June, regardless of how many days there are in the month.

Back