• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is life?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    It's a peculiar thing... that you and I can exist. With a planet barely suitable for our existence, it seems that we're pretty lucky to even be here. Nations have risen, and nations have fallen. People have walked to the very ends of the earth for their beliefs, for their causes. There's been times of peace and happiness, and regrettably, times of war and struggle. People have loved, and people have lost. Some of us win, and some of us don't. What is the most sincere struggle for one person is completely unnoticed by another; and furthermore affects him not.

This begs the question: what is life? No really, what is it? Not just what is the purpose, or the meaning... but.. what is life?

Edit: I don't think this will actually promote too much discussion... so you can move it(if you want.) :s

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Life can be anything. It is what you make it.

If life was intended to be by some supreme being, then let it be, and live by his rules.

If life is an orderly chaos, live as you like.

If life is all an accident, live like you appreciate it; you can feel happiness, so take advantage of that.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Life is a gift that we were given. Oddly though had we never received it, we would never have known. In my opinion, everyone and everything is simply an accidental occurrence. This means we should appreciate just how lucky we are to have consciousness at all.

CrazyMrHans

Drunk and slightly Irish
    Years
  • Wooooooo existentialism! :D

If this thread becomes popular I give it 2 days before it becomes a debate about religion.

That being said, I can't help but agree completely with what droomph posted, well said croissant man! :cer_nod:

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2012
    Life is infinite yet belittled.
    To enjoy it is serendipity tho no one appreciates the fortune.

~V~

"Winds of a New Beginning"
    Years
  • Well my life is Pokemon, Soccer and College parties. I think everyone has a different definition of life.

Graphical

Beep beep boop
    Years
  • Life is meaningless. We're just here to survive, that's just it, plain and simple. It's depressing to think of, but of course, that's why people invented religion. To give people a purpose, a goal in life.

I could say more, but most if it involves religion, so I'm not sure if I'll bother. Reply to me, give me something to debate with if you want, though.

Colourful

Lolcat-Trainer, srsly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2016
    I wrote a pretty long text about life in the context of society. I put it into a spoiler, so people, who want to discuss the general term 'life' don't have to read it :)

Spoiler:

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
    Years
  • For me, life is a series of lessons. We take what is given and turn it into our future. Either we learn and proceed, or we fail and try again.

Um, I'll stop there before I get into Buddist/Pagan ideals. :)

Psycho Bugler

Jew Extrordinaire!
    Years
  • I'd consider life just the act of living. It's what you do with it that counts and that's when life becomes an experience, a race, an adventure, etc... It's what you do with your time here between birth and death that matters.

Ok. I think I'm getting way too deep and meaningful for my first night in the forums...

Lord V-Man

Casual modder
    Years
  • Life is a characteristic that distinguishes creatures who can respond to certain stimuli, reproduce, grow, develop and maintain themselves (until the process stops, then you enter the phase "death") from inanimate objects which only "exist" and not "live".

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    Life is whatever you want it to be.

The world is in your grasp. Go. Make something of yourself.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Life is a state of living or existing with a consciousness and mind that can grow, learn, and create new ideals, and a body that supports this mind/soul/consciousness/whatevertheheckyouwanttocallit. Life is a wonderful and amazing thing.

Back