• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the best pokemon type overall??

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2008
    What Do you think it is? I'm actually doing some calculations to find out exactly which type is 'the best' type (yeah, I'm doing the dual types, as well, UGH).

But in the mean time, which do you think is the best pokemon type (including dual types) ?

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    The ultimate type I imagine would be Dragon/Ice because, correct me if I'm wrong but that would mean nothing would be "super effective" against that.

Since Dragon is only weak to ice or Dragon, so ice would stop dragon being super effective and even though Ice is weak to fire I don't think it would enable "super effective" since dragon would probably counter act it I suppose another Ice/Dragon would be super effective against it but that's all.

But no Pokemon with that type as far as I know exists yet.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    Yeah, but Ice is weak to Rock, Fighting, and Steel, causing the Dragon/Ice to have a weakness
    But I would think that a Fighting/Flying pokemon might be handy in some situations.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    True, but doesn't dual type stop some "super effective" weaknesses of each type?.
    I'd like to see a Fire/Water or Grass/Fire just to see how it would battle.

BattleBeastEXP

Competitive Double Battler
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Jun 20, 2009
    I guess it would be Ghost and Dark, since it does not have any weakness'. Since that is a real type unlike the previous (Dragon-Ice) stated, which does not yet exist.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    Fighting/Flying is easily taken down with Psychic or Electric... but still, one less weakness than Dragon/Ice.

Ghost/Dark is the 'strongest' type if you look at the type chart. It has absolutely no weaknesses and three types are ineffective against it (Psychic, Normal, Fighting). It is followed closely by Water/Dragon which only has one weakness (Dragon).

If you use that theory, then technically, Sableye and Palkia are truly the "stongest" Pokemon... type wise.

BattleBeastEXP

Competitive Double Battler
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Jun 20, 2009
    Fighting/Flying is easily taken down with Psychic or Electric... but still, one less weakness than Dragon/Ice.

Ghost/Dark is the 'strongest' type if you look at the type chart. It has absolutely no weaknesses and three types are ineffective against it (Psychic, Normal, Fighting). It is followed closely by Water/Dragon which only has one weakness (Dragon).

If you use that theory, then technically, Sableye and Palkia are truly the "stongest" Pokemon... type wise.

You forgot Spiritomb, which also has the types 'Ghost-Dark' and has no weaknesses, I would consider Spritomb much, much better then Sableye (from a competitive angle).

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years

Ghost/Dark is the 'strongest' type if you look at the type chart. It has absolutely no weaknesses and three types are ineffective against it (Psychic, Normal, Fighting).

I wonder, if a machamp or something uses "foresight" what will happen next turn? wouldn't that be super effective since Dark is weak to fighting and foresight enabling you to hit ghosts.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    Eh, too many possibilities. If someone has that criteria and wants to try it out and give us an answer, be my guest, it might actually help a lot. (I might do it in a while :D).

Whoops, completely forgot about Spiritomb. Yeah, competitive wise he would be a much better choice than Sableye... with the stats and all that...

But yeah, if anyone else has some weird scenarios... feel free to submit them. I might get around to doing some of them and we can finally answer the question of "Which type is the strongest?".

Kayke™

Banned
    Years

Can't forget Kingdra. Cause ya know... he's actually... well, legal. And water/dragon is fantastic typing, prolly the best out there that can actually take SE damage unlike Spiritomb and Sableye.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    I'm going to have a look into all the types as well and see what type existing & non existing is the best, I think we'll find no combination will be the best, I'm still curious though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    I guess I'll look through all of the Water/Dragon and Ghost/Dark types and list them here... just so I don't mess up again >:O! Then we can debate on which is best type and competitive wise (since... yeah... Palkia being uber and whatnot..).

Ghost/Dark:
    Sableye
    Spiritomb

Water/Dragon:
    Palkia
    Kingdra

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2008
    These calcs are going to take a while, guys. Just so you know. You might have to check back tomorrow for my exact statistics. :P

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    You can just check type charts on Serebii or Psy Pokes ya know :D! Unless... you're doing something totally different...

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2008
    Something totally different xD

I made myself a formula just for fun. I'm plugging in the numbers xD

This is ghost to take a while. There is like five values I need to find for each type 0___0

:P

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    Eh, I think the best combo would be Ghost/Normal, even though it's weak to Dark it would be able to counter Gengar perfectly.

StrickeN

The mighty force will Strike
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    No not really, Gengar has a very interesting move list and probably could still OHKO it

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    I wonder, if a machamp or something uses "foresight" what will happen next turn? wouldn't that be super effective since Dark is weak to fighting and foresight enabling you to hit ghosts.

Going back to this thing. I decided to catch a Machop and train it to level 22 (on Sapphire) so it could learn Foresight. I then went on to face my Emerald game, which has Sableye (the Ghost/Dark) to see if this would work... here's what I got:

Ryan wants to battle!

Go! Subject A! (Machop)

Ryan sent out Sableye!

For Sableye used scratch!

A critical hit!

Subject A used Foresight! Subject A identified Sableye!

Foe Sableye used scratch!

A critical hit!

Subject A used Karate Chop!

Super Effective!

Foe Sableye used Night Shade!

Subject A fainted!

Player lost against Ryan!

In conclusion, when a fighting Pokemon, or any Pokemon using Foresight or Oder Sleuth can attack Ghost types AND the fighting move WILL be super effective.

So that gives Ghost/Dark its only weakness so far.

GeneralGuy

Competitive Pokémon Expert
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2010
    No not really, Gengar has a very interesting move list and probably could still OHKO it
    It is very unlikely for a competitive Gengar set to have Dark Pulse since Shadow Ball has the same coverage and gets STAB. :/

Back