• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the best pokemon type overall??

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    Well in my opinion the best pokemon are the Legendary pokemon. Heck the legendary pokemon are more powerful than regular pokemon.

That has nothing to do with types, plus A well trained normal pokemon could slaughter a Legendary any day.

Remember Rayquaza? Dragon/Flying Blizzard, or ice beam is his worst enemy.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    And yet, legendaries are not a type...

Hmm, I would say more "Not very effectives" are better than "Not effective" simply because there's more of the former... but if you had a rough conversion chart (that I just made up)... 3-4 NVE = 1 NE.

Oh, and 400th Post!

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2008
    Like would you rather have a poke that has no 'weaknesses' but takes x1 damage in everything, or a poke that has some weaknesses, but takes 1/2 damage in a bunch of things?

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    Uhm, I think some weaknesses and 1/2 damage, because any weakness can be easily countered with a good move or two.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2008
    Alright. In that case I am confident in my formula!

I'm a little behind though. so I'm not done. So far steel and fire steel seem to be the best (but I still have a ways to go :P)

Magmortified

Wherever I fly
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2009
    Does having fewer weaknesses give more advantage in a fight?
    Or is having more resistances more helpful?

Would not impressive STAB coverage also be helpful?

I don't get how defensive ability is all that's being figured into when the "best" type is supposedly determined. Offense is as much a part of the game as defense, yet we seem to be focusing on only one part - unless that was the intention, though I don't recall it being implicitly stated. Getting a 1.5x boost on certain moves is pretty dang significant, and having two STABs that cover each other is excellent in a generation that already provides so many ways to boost your offenses (Life Orb, Nasty Plot, etc.)

I guess it'd be harder to mathematically calculate with that involved, though. Unless it were to be split into Best Offensive Typing, and Best Defensive typing, or something. =P

VFlea

The Trooper
    Years
    Ghost/Dark is the best one I can think of.

Anyway, someone said about the legendaries. The best legendary ever is Mewtwo for sure. It can cover all his weakness and with that damn high S.Atk and good stats everywhere else, it's easily one of the pokémons that you most hate, and want the farther away as possible from you.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    There's a lot of different ways to look at this. From a defensive standpoint, dragon and steel are the two best types because of their abundant resistances, and Ghost isn't so bad either.

Offensively, it's probably dragon. Even though it only hits dragons supereffective, only steels resist it, and coming from a powerful enough attacker, your dragon moves will blow through anything (take SpecsMence for example). Steels can be dealt with by other methods.

I'd say dragon is overall the best type, but you can spin it so many different ways that you really couldn't prove any type is superior than the others IMO.

Zeno_the_dark_one

Snorlax obsesed
    Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2008
    Well...

From my stand point, a dragon pokemon is best offense, because the only thing that resists them, steel, is easily taken down by their diverse move range. Flamethrower anyone?

Personally I'd say that a Water/Ground with an ice move sounds good. Just have High Speed. It goes up there with only one weakness, Grass. Just Blizzard the oppnent.

Just my thoughts.

Amp

This is crazy.
    Years
    Let's not forget that both Ice and Fire are mondo on the offense, but lacking heavily in defense. Ice/Steel would be a pretty mean type to have to face.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Going back to this thing. I decided to catch a Machop and train it to level 22 (on Sapphire) so it could learn Foresight. I then went on to face my Emerald game, which has Sableye (the Ghost/Dark) to see if this would work... here's what I got:

Ryan wants to battle!

Go! Subject A! (Machop)

Ryan sent out Sableye!

For Sableye used scratch!

A critical hit!

Subject A used Foresight! Subject A identified Sableye!

Foe Sableye used scratch!

A critical hit!

Subject A used Karate Chop!

Super Effective!

Foe Sableye used Night Shade!

Subject A fainted!

Player lost against Ryan!

In conclusion, when a fighting Pokemon, or any Pokemon using Foresight or Oder Sleuth can attack Ghost types AND the fighting move WILL be super effective.

So that gives Ghost/Dark its only weakness so far.

your right! no weakness is the best!!!.^_^"!

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I see a lot of people right away going straight for Dark/Ghost as the best combination. Sure, no weaknesses is a very nice benefit, but it can sometimes not be as good as some say. For example, people use Gyarados and Electivire to their advantage.

Player 1 sent out Gyarados
    Player 2 sent out Jolteon
    Player 1 withdrew Gyarados and sent out Electivire
    Jolteon used Thunderbolt
    Electivire's Motor Drive increased it's speed!

See, weaknesses, have their benefits. But that is not it, let's talk about STAB, shall we?

Dark/Ghost have some nice moves that can be added with STAB; Crunch, Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, etc... But there are other moves that can be more useful with STAB; dragon, water, fire, ice. Dark/Ghost hits a lot for at least normal, but not that much for super effective.

Piggybacking off Anti-Pop, Dragon/Steel would be a great combination; doesn't get hit by fire, fighting, water, or dragon too hard. Ice doesn't do that much, but it gains a ground weakness. Not much (I believe this makes it have only one weakness?) If this said Pokemon had Levitate, there would be no weaknesses, similar to Kingdra and Palkia (whom I believe has the best ingame combination)

So, what is the best combination? Most likely either Dialga or Palkia/Kindgra. But then again, weaknesses can have advantages.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    what about the ghost-dark thing....(& why doesnt normal have an advantage over other types??)

Crett

That Popcorn Guy
    Years
    Ghost/Dark.
    2 Pokemon exist with that type,
    NO weaknesses.
    Sableye and Spiritomb...
    dot dot dot.
    THEY BOTH START WITH "S".
    I find that suspicious.
    well, I'd have to check on that Dragon/Ice thing later..

Back