• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your definition of music?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    As long as you can understand the song, and it has a meaning, then I'll listen to it. Rap being one that doesnt make sense- its just random words that are thrown together just to ryhme, with no purpose at all.

Actually not. Maybe cretain songs but if u are just closed minded then u cant understand it or maybe you lack something upstairs to really find the meaning. Have u ever heard Brendas Got A Baby by Tupac? Google it, theres meaning for u hun!

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Actually not. Maybe cretain songs but if u are just closed minded then u cant understand it or maybe you lack something upstairs to really find the meaning. Have u ever heard Brendas Got A Baby by Tupac? Google it, theres meaning for u hun!

I'm confused; why are you arguing with everyone's belief of what to them is actual music? It seems like you're just trying to argue your points of what music is to you and compare it to others which doesn't make any sense seeing as how this thread is asking for your own believes and not for you to rebuttal and argue with people based on theirs. If you have your own taste of music and what music is to you, isn't that enough satisfaction? Arguing about what music is to someone isn't going to change their views one way or another anyway.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Music: A group of variegating noises which have a discernible rhythm, and evoke a response in the listener.

That's mine, fancied up a bit. If it has rhythm and it makes you feel something, then it is music. Genres I enjoy are: Hard Rock, Post-Grunge, Grunge, Melodic Hardcore, Punk Rock, Pop Punk, and general Alternative Rock.

Years
    Let me restate this- SOME rap songs make sense. But most are just random crap so it can rhyme, and are usually about sex and/or just a bunch of cuss words thrown together. Thats just me. But:

I'm confused; why are you arguing with everyone's belief of what to them is actual music? It seems like you're just trying to argue your points of what music is to you and compare it to others which doesn't make any sense seeing as how this thread is asking for your own believes and not for you to rebuttal and argue with people based on theirs. If you have your own taste of music and what music is to you, isn't that enough satisfaction? Arguing about what music is to someone isn't going to change their views one way or another anyway.
    ....yeah, I rest my case. Now dont try to argue with me over this, because it wont get anywhere and that isnt what this thread is for.

Last edited:

~Dai-kun~

The black wind howls again...
    Years
    Page ??? of the Daisuke Hikaru Dictionary:
    Section M:
    Music- The assortment of sounds used to express feelings to others using poetic features to add entertainment to those who listen to this "music"

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021

Oh, i was only making a point to those who gave no reaslon for bashing other genres but what ev. It was really worth u taking reputation from me huh?

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Music is noise or sound put together to form a melody / rhythm which can be differentiated from raw noise.
    Music is something which can reflect an emotion, a time or place or even a person.

LunarWing

Shiny Hunter/Trainer
    Years
    Music is noise or sound put together to form a melody / rhythm which can be differentiated from raw noise.
    Music is something which can reflect an emotion, a time or place or even a person.

That fits the description of music, yes. Yet it's very hard to fully describe what it is, I guess it is subjective, its really opinion-based I think!..
    So there isnt a "good" or "bad" answer.

Last edited:

Merzbau

it's just a ride.
    Years
    Music is an arrangement of noise in a pattern.
    Lightning Bolt is as much music as the Ramones, the Beatles, or Jefferson Airplane.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    To me, Music is an organized arrangement of specific objects that can use the special attribute of producing certain tones by organization of Half steps or steps by Octaves or Pentives by being hit, blown as wood, blown as metal, or vibrated on it's strings from the result of human action. Purposated to combine with other instruments or by itself to produce certain arrangements of those patterns and create a series of tones pleasant to the human ear.

Yes, I am a walking encyclopedia :P.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2014
    i define music as something that is performed on instruments (vocal included), and has a distinct intended melody. It must also require at least some skill to both perform and write.

also note that by vocal i mean actual singing, not talking, rapping or any other form of sound emitted from someones mouth.

i consider the following to be music (all sub-genres included)
    rock, metal, classical, opera, jazz

i feel like ive missed something, but to be slightly more clear, i do not define pop, rap, hip-hop or dance as 'real', as it either lacks instrumental qualities, vocal qualities, or skill/intent in composition.

Aepriz

Black Rose Collector
    Years
    I'd say music is about how something sounds , AS LONG as the music have the lead .
    Lyrics my never be more important then music (except for the emo/screamo genre cus thats just the whole point) .

Other then that , I just love some great guitar rifs or just good control of the instruments , ANS A GOOD CONTROL OF THE vocals (either clean,scream or death vocals) .

Michii

as in Mishy
    Years
    Music is expression. It's a way that people show their emotions and reach out to other people. To say that only certain genres are real music is unfair. All music is real music, whether it's screamo, rap, ska, rock, whatever. All of it is expression. There's no way a certain combination of notes and rhythms are better or more musical than any other combination. For the majority of the population, the only thing that really seperates real music from whatever isn't real music is passion and connection. Music is just defined by perspective; everyone has a different view of what it really is. But connection fuels the true definition. If a certain kind of music connects with a person emotionally, naturally they'll see it as real music. But if all they hear is a series of notes with no connection, it's not. Because of the six billion+ different perspectives in the world, it is not fair to say that one type of music is more real than another.

Now as one of the six billion+ people in the world, I have my perspective of music. I think music isn't just a series of notes that we hear. Music is deep and meaningful. It's an art, an expression of individuality and one's soul. It's one of the first sounds many of us really heard in the womb. It's been with us for as long as we've been born, and no one can really take it away. Music is a connection with life and it's culture. It's amazing and it's great. Music really is life.

Aepriz

Black Rose Collector
    Years
    Michii said:
    Music is expression. It's a way that people show their emotions and reach out to other people. To say that only certain genres are real music is unfair. All music is real music, whether it's screamo, rap, ska, rock, whatever. All of it is expression. There's no way a certain combination of notes and rhythms are better or more musical than any other combination. For the majority of the population, the only thing that really seperates real music from whatever isn't real music is passion and connection. Music is just defined by perspective; everyone has a different view of what it really is. But connection fuels the true definition. If a certain kind of music connects with a person emotionally, naturally they'll see it as real music. But if all they hear is a series of notes with no connection, it's not. Because of the six billion+ different perspectives in the world, it is not fair to say that one type of music is more real than another.

Now as one of the six billion+ people in the world, I have my perspective of music. I think music isn't just a series of notes that we hear. Music is deep and meaningful. It's an art, an expression of individuality and one's soul. It's one of the first sounds many of us really heard in the womb. It's been with us for as long as we've been born, and no one can really take it away. Music is a connection with life and it's culture. It's amazing and it's great. Music really is life.

I agree on that ,
    Especially that evryone has another view on music ..
    Great example is the music I like (Emo/screamo/deathcore) I really like it being pretty hard , active and all ..

While I know like lots of peopple who REALLY hate it , my mom tells me like 1000 times it aint music what I listen to xD

WeisseEdelweiss

Executor
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Feb 22, 2013
    Music is a frequency that when absorbed into the brain produces the similar frequencies that our emotions produce thus a song is either liked or disliked by the brain.

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
    I don't think I can define music...I mean, honestly, I'll listen to anything. Pop, Hip-hop, metal, R&B (rarely, but some), Rap (also rare), Rock, Alternative, Classic Rock, Techno/Electronica...it's just music. It's all great in many different ways and can change depending on my mood or interests at the time. Music is there to be listened to and enjoyed, not to be criticized (unless of course it's something that's inaudible or you can't understand it if you're a lyrics-person: then it's considered bleh. XD)

Back