• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your opinion?

GameFreak Executive

Born to be the very best...
Years
  • I want to know what the general opinion is, on people who use Action Replay/Gamesharks for access to the ingame events to get Poke's such as Darkrai or Arcues, etc.

I can say I am guilty of such cheating, but I try to limit myself as much as possible. Like, beat the E4 and all available sidequests, and atleast 1 level 100 Pokemon. And only use it as a means to get the item normally obtained from the event to jump-start the events the item is needed for.

I am a nut when trying to complete the Pokedex for each game I have, and since I am not always able to contact my friend who goes to the events, I can't necessarily complete it to my liking. So the AR/GS are sometimes my only option.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • For other people, go ahead and use them, but I guarantee if you use cheating devices too much you will get bored of the games completely.

Personally though, I don't like to. The last time I "cheated" was probably the boxed pokemon duplication glitch in G/S, or whatever version that was in. A while back I got an emulator and a ROM for Emerald version, and I tried to use the built in Gameshark to get a Mew and a Deoxys, just to try them out. I couldn't get the codes to work, but I'm glad because I would have quickly gotten bored of the game.

And there were times where I was tempted to cheat to get event legendaries and all kinds of shinies with the right Nature and flawless IV's, but the only reason I didn't is because that would take the fun out of it. Sure it's hard to get some of those pokemon, but it feels more satisfying to track them down by legit methods.

So I may only have under 300 pokemon caught in my most-filled pokedex (In Diamond), but I will feel that much more satisfied when it's completely full. Wow, I didn't think I would go on about this that much...... XD

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
  • People can cheat whenever they want, however they want. Just don't start trading them online and lying to people saying they're legit. That's when it gets lame.
    Personally, I don't wanna hack Pokemon for the same reasons as ^. It'd take the fun out of it for me.

subame

I control the spice!
    Years
  • I always figured that cheating is OK if used to improve one's own enjoyment or the enjoyment of others, but not if it negativeley affects others, such as trading or battling with cheated pokemon....i.e, event tickets and whatnot are okay, but trading cheated pokemon isn't.

And as a sidenote, that seel/pikachu thing is sickeningly adorable.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
  • i dont think using an ar to get the items for past events so you can get the pokemon is that bad. unless you lie and say they are legit. other than that it seems like it would take away from the game to get whatever you wanted right when you want it.

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • I really don't care whether pokemon i get through trades are hacked or not as long as the moveset, stats and ability can happen in game

Does it really change gameplay? no it doesn't

chances are if you play competitively you will recieve a sav'd or replay'd pokemon in a trade. If it doesn't have unfair stats why should you care?

There really shouldn't be any "higher standard" pokemon is just a game

Years
  • I totally use AR for this purpose. If I can get a certain pokemon in a legit way, I won't, but if I can only get a pokemon through events, and I missed that event, I'll use AR to get it.

My friend got a Gamestop Deoxys in his Emerald game and traded it over to Pearl and then to Platinum. It was the crowning jewel of his collection. Then he moved and misplaced his Platinum game. It wasn't a big deal, since he had already beaten that game and wouldn't go back to it, but he was really bummed about losing his Deoxys. So I found a code and replaced it for him. The smile on his face said it all for me.

Dubstep

Goes bump in the night
    Years
  • There's nothing wrong with cheating in a game if you're not cheating to beat out other players. I don't really care, and I'll certainly tweak data if I feel the need.

Starling008

Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I always complete the entire game, all sidequests, and train all of my Pokemon up to at least a decent level before I use cheats. It gives you more to do after you have completed everything you can in the game.

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
  • I don't mind when people use Action Replay/Gamesharks in their Pokémon games for their own enjoyment, such as: getting all items, maximum amount of money, completed Pokédex, etc. From my personal opinion, I think it ruins the fun of the game but hey, some people find it fun.

Trading Pokémon that were created through AR such as in game events, Shiny Pokémon or with perfect IV's and trading them stating they're legitimacy, that's when AR gets abused. That's the only problem I see with the AR's.

Back