• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What pokemon do you think deserved to be a starter?

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
    I think they could do a Dark-Fighting-Psychic trio.

They could use tyrogue or Machop for fighting

Abra or Ralts for psychic

And as for dark I'm clueless

A good dark type could be Absol. Only he doesn't evolve.

I was also thinking of a steel starter. Not someone like scyther or onix since you have to evo-trade them. And for the trio it would be fire, steel, and ground.
    the fire starter could be ponyta. Ponyta are awesome. Or growlithe or Vulpix.
    the steel starter could be bronzor? No, aron or beldum. although the begining would be boring with beldum.
    the ground type could be sandshrew. He's pretty good.

Ayselipera

I think it would be interesting to have all the psuedo dragons as starters.

For example Dratini, Bagon, and Gible... just a thought.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    Agreeing with Evee, Firstly, It's Small but still has some fight in it, That's Starter material. Secondly, It evolves with true friendship or with a Stone. Also, Evee Would be a challenge because we all know that Evee doesn't have the greatest stats, So i agree.
    Eevee doesn't, but many of the Eeveelutions are some of the best of their type. Look at Espeon and Jolteon, for example.

Princess Pichu

Art is a flash of beauty~
    Years
    Pichu
    Yeah, Eevee, like most have said already. But I think Riolu would've been nice. And maybe Meowth or something. Maybe Bellsprout, Horsea, Mareep, Aron, Trapinch, Beldum, and Shinx too.

Season

Garden Gladiator
    Years

I was also thinking of a steel starter. Not someone like scyther or onix since you have to evo-trade them. And for the trio it would be fire, steel, and ground.
    the steel starter could be bronzor? No, aron or beldum. although the begining would be boring with beldum.

Aron would be a fantastic starter. I like the idea of Pokemon with 3 stages in their evolutionary line as starters. Any less than that takes something away from the game imo.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    I think they could do a Dark-Fighting-Psychic trio.

They could use tyrogue or Machop for fighting

Abra or Ralts for psychic

And as for dark I'm clueless

i totally agree on this. although dark would have a major advantage over psychic with an immunity. slap a steel type on the psychic for dual typing so that it won't royally screw over the balance.

need moar 2 stage evolutions for dark type...so far, nothing comes to mind. larvy and pupitar have rock/ground until tyranitar with rock/dark.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I was totally going to come in and refute this thread for being ridiculous. I mean why choose other starters?

But actually the eevee idea was a good one haha. Like maybe the Prof gives you a choice and you can pick 1 stone OR a massage that raises it to full happiness or something.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    Eevee was a starter in yellow unfortunetly you didn't get him. For some reason the developers didn't make it that Blue, Gary evolved him into one of the evolutions. So it was like epic easy to own him.

Spheal would of been a nice pokemon. As it had two types, Water and ice.

So what if they reused water :D

a deserving pokemon would be..

i like the types but not the pokemon. All pokemon have to be able to evolve twice. not once.

Steel: Aron. - I liked you choice for this lil guy.
    Ground: Trapinch
    Fire: Would probally have to be.. Magby

Last edited:
    Years
    Eevee was a starter in yellow unfortunetly you didn't get him. For some reason the developers didn't make it that Blue, Gary evolved him into one of the evolutions. So it was like epic easy to own him.

Ummmmm......he DID evolve his Eevee, but it was late in the game if that's what you mean. It depended on how your first two battles turned out:

Lose the battle at Oak's lab and on Route 22: Vaporeon
    Win at Oak's lab, but lose on Route 22: Flareon
    Win both battles: Jolteon

Anyway,

Just like everyone else in this thread, I believe that Eevee would make an excellent starter. Only thing is, Eevee offers so much variation, there's not much room for competition for 2 other starters. It would have to be like in yellow version where you don't really have a choice of starter, you are just simply given Eevee.

Aside from Eevee, I would say that Beldum, Rotom, Dratini/Gible/Bagon, Gastly, Abra/Ralts-----

Oh wait! Just had a thought! Drumroll please!

*drumroll*

Shaymin!

Seriously, I wish shaymin was breedable. I would SO begin games with Shaymin in my party.

Exon

Hacker in Training
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    You know, when I started this thread it was just for fun. Basically to see the different opinions on pokemon as starters. Now, however, I think I'm actually going to run with the eevee idea. Since it seems so popular I think I'll actually implement that into my game, especially since it would actually fit fairly well as a starter based on the storyline. Thanks all, and keep 'em coming, this is actually pretty enlightening and may help others choose something besides the traditional starters for their games as well.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Actually, Eevee was the starter Pokemon in XD: Gale of Darkness, if any have forgotten.

I would love it if they put a Growlithe or Vulpix as Starter Pokemons for the Fire-type. They will evolve into great Pokemons.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
    Uhm I just realized something. I knew that last time I posted it sounded so familiar. So when I checked my Diamond, where I have all three starters fully evolved, I saw that they already had a steel, fire, and ground done. Torterra is part ground, Empoleon is part steel, and Infernape is part fire.
    Good news? I thought of another trio. Ground (I really like ground types. Nidoking FTW!), Poison, and Grass.
    The trio would be
    Gruond: Gible or Trapinch (keeping it with three evos without trading or using stones)
    Poison: Zubat (he needs more fans anyways) or weedle
    Grass: Seedot or Lotad
    the downsides are that both ground types evolve into dragons and resist grass. Zubat does have a third evolution but it becomes Crobat through happiness. I still think this is a good trio though.

Exon

Hacker in Training
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    Actually, Eevee was the starter Pokemon in XD: Gale of Darkness, if any have forgotten.

I would love it if they put a Growlithe or Vulpix as Starter Pokemons for the Fire-type. They will evolve into great Pokemons.

I wasn't counting the "off-brand" games, mostly the main stream ones personally.

Zacceh

Another day in the life of...
    Years
    Eevee has potential as a starter, but it's the most overused starter Pokémon to date. Consider this:

Pokémon Colosseum: Eevee's Dark and Psychic evolutions -- Umbreon and Espeon respectively -- debut as starters at level 20.
    Pokémon XD; Gale of Darkness: Eevee debuts as a playable starter.
    Pokémon Yellow: Following on the anime, in Pokémon Yellow, you receive Pikachu as a starter Pokémon. Think back to what your rival received. He got "the last Pokémon, and it's the strongest!" He got an Eevee.
    In every other game, Eevee has been available as a gift Pokémon.

RBY: Obtained on the roof of the Celadon Apt. Building
    GSC: Gift from Bill
    RSE: I don't remember.
    FR/LG: Obtained on the roof of the Celadon Apt. Building
    Platinum: Received as a gift from Bebe after speaking to her about her Pokémon Storage System in Hearthome.
    DP: I don't remember

Nice starters could be
    Ralts
    Ponyta
    Shinx
    Meowth
    Elekid/Buzz
    Magby/mar
    Cubone
    Hitmon Family
    Larvitar
    Ditto (TRUE diversity right there XD)
    Riolu

Reasons Why Legendaries Are BAD Starters
    1. Overpowered from the beginning
    2. DO NOT OBEY - If you've ever tried to play a hack featuring things like Mewtwo, Mew, and Jirachi as starters, they don't obey you, even at Lv. 5 under the Badge Claus.

The Original Darkwiz787

Stuck with text below my name.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    I like the starters we have. They balance fairly easily without being some of the best.

Last edited:
    Back