• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What should I pick

Which One

• Turtwig

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Piplup

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2009
    Pick turtwig. Chimchar doesnt make up for its other type in it's final evolve. Piplup is water and steel in it's final evolve form, there are many water types that are good to choose from and steel isn't a type of pokemon you would want in your team so get turtwig.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Chimchar, the only other fully-evolved fire type is rapidash, who is not very good.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Chimchar is probably your best bet. Fire types are rare in this game, and Chimchar is very good in its final evolution as a sweeper.

Years
    Pick whoever you want. I always go by personal preference when picking my starters. Gave me a ton of trouble in Blue with the first gyms because I always picked Charmander, but hey, I got through them anyway.

It doesn't really matter in your main game, unless the lack of a fire type other than Ponyta is really, REALLY going to bother you. Other than that, just go for whichever you prefer.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Chimchar. Infernape and Rapidash are the only fire types to get before Elite 4, and I think you know which one is a better choice.

Plus, with Infernape, you get a fire type and fighter type, that clears 2 slots!

CrystalFlow

Fun Trainer
    Years
    On diamond i chose piplup, which i then traded over wifi for a charmander. Then on pearl i went with chimchar to try and beat the game w/o wifi trading through-it i could end up using gts though

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Ooh here's a gym leader/E4 list, the ones infernape gets stab SE hits are in bold:
    Roark/Rock
    Gardenia/Grass

Maylene/Fight
    Wake/Water
    Fatina/Ghost
    Byron/Steel
    Candice/Ice

Volkner/Electric
    Aaron/Bug
    Bertha/Ground
    Flint/Fire
    Lucian/Psychic
    So infernape gets 5, torterra comes 2nd with 4 (Rock/Water/Electric/Fire) and empoleon comes 3rd with 2 (Rock and ice).

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2008
    None of the starters are hacked! Your friend told you a bunch of bull crap. Pick chimchar and make sure it is a girl so you can breed it and get the other 2 starters. Jeez.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Chimchar (Infernape) Wipes out all the elite 4 with its fiery fire moves and fighting moves. It makes the game a whole lot easy ^_^ , so I would recommend him.
    The others are also very good, it's mainly upto you to decide.

Years
    Go for chimchar. There aren't any other viable fire types in DP. If you want Water types go for Floatzel, Gyarados or Gastrodon. For Grass, Roserade is probably the best, if not only viable option.

For me, I used Gyarados (Caught as Lv. 19 Magikarp and used Rare Candy) and a Roserade (Caught as a Budew).

Back