• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What the...??

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2007
    If Arceus is the "GOD" of all Pokémon, then what of "MEW"??

I thought Mew was like the most rarest, powerful and most mysterious Pokémon of all...

Discuss.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    I think Arceus is a poser, simply because mew and Mewtwo were the gods of pokemon, but Nintendo had to make 50 legendaries to ruin it...I still view Mewtwo and Mew as the two most powerful pokemon ever. You know something's wrong when the pokedex descriptions overlap on two legends...

Radikaru

moonrose
    Years
    I think the idea is that Arceus made Mew first, like how in Christianity, god made Adam first.
    And with the exception of Dialga and Palkia, every other Pokémon stems from Mew.

Or something like that.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Meh, I still think it is just a cop-out on Nintendo's part to have two "gods" of pokemon. Make uop your mind Nintendo...Arceus or Mew? I say Mew, for reasons you know, so I think something is just messed up here.

Radikaru

moonrose
    Years
    Well, you never really know.
    There's a possibility that the creators had all the generations planned out from the start and just added them as they progressed through the story.
    In that respect, this could have been predetermined and not just some "cover up" for something they randomly did.

Even if it is a "cover up," creating more and more is a good marketing strategy.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    well, ancient greece(i think)had alot of gods, Zues, ect, so they can have more then 1 "god" pokemon

Pochama_Tammy

Girly Girl
    Years
    I don't think it was ever explicitly stated that Mew was the god that created all pokémon. He was just the genetic base from which all other pokémon sprang. Arceus is the creator of everything, including Mew. And Mew's DNA is what evolved into all other pokémon!

^_~ Tammy

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    yeah, mew can learn every move out there, but Arceus can change into every type out there, so it's a 50/50 battle if they go head-to-head

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Yeah, I still won't change my mind. I studied greek mythology last year. You know, Zues, Hera, Hercules, Haydes(sp?), poseidon. But tell me this. Wasn't Zues the God of all gods, like the leader? Yeah, basically. The "gods" of pokemon are the legendaries, but the Zues of pokemon is a split tie between Mew and Mewtwo IMO.

Radikaru

moonrose
    Years
    Yeah, I still won't change my mind. I studied greek mythology last year. You know, Zues, Hera, Hercules, Haydes(sp?), poseidon. But tell me this. Wasn't Zues the God of all gods, like the leader? Yeah, basically. The "gods" of pokemon are the legendaries, but the Zues of pokemon is a split tie between Mew and Mewtwo IMO.

There were several high-level gods in Greek mythology, including but not limited to Gaea and the ones that stemmed from her.
    Gaea created the Earth and whatnot.
    Zeus was on a certain level, possibly below Gaea's level.

So, looking at it that way, Arceus could be the Gaea of the Pokémon world, with Mew/Mewtwo being whatever god is under that.
    Then the rest of the legendaries would be synonymous to the rest of the gods.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Meh, I know there was Cronus and whoever you just mentioned...but it wouldn't make sense to have 150 pokemon without a creator or God, meaning that it must have been Mew or Mewtwo, since Arceus didn't exist. I think that the godly staturelegends once had has deminished anyways, so it doesn't matter too much. Mewtwo was the main man behind what was going on in the first movie, and he and mew looked pretty dang powerful, especially Mewtwo. Mew FTW! But really, it doesn't mean anything considering all of the inconsistances(sp) in the TV show and movies.

Radikaru

moonrose
    Years
    But you have to consider the idea that the plot unfolds as you go along.
    Like in a mystery story -- you don't know who the mastermind really is until you get to the end, and along the way you have many suspects.

I think this thing with Arceus is similar; there's a possibility that he always existed but was not fully discovered by the player until we got to the Sinnoh arc.

But in a sense, Mew still is the creator, since the general idea is that all current species stemmed from it.
    But Mew itself stemmed from Arceus. So basically it goes like this:
    Arceus -> Dialga/Palkia & Mew -> All other species

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    But you have to consider the idea that the plot unfolds as you go along.
    Like in a mystery story -- you don't know who the mastermind really is until you get to the end, and along the way you have many suspects.

I think this thing with Arceus is similar; there's a possibility that he always existed but was not fully discovered by the player until we got to the Sinnoh arc.

But in a sense, Mew still is the creator, since the general idea is that all current species stemmed from it.
    But Mew itself stemmed from Arceus. So basically it goes like this:
    Arceus -> Dialga/Palkia & Mew -> All other species

I totally agree, but I wish I didn't. Not because I like disagreeing with people, it's because that's the excuse pokemon always has: There are new pokemon waiting to be discovered...yeah, yeah, whatever. Where were all the loudreds in Kanto? And I don't wan the "they don't live in that regoin" excuse. It is a pathetic way to continue the series, and it ticks me off. I wish there could be some originality, but meh. The TV show is a joke...just watch Ash's battle vs. the dome ace on Youtube...RIGGED! Just like the poor excuse they (nintendo) always uses. It's just an excuse to keep making godly pokemon like Arceus. Soon there will be a pokemon with 140 base stat for each stat who created Arceus. Sheesh. For that reason, my opinion is biased, but my opinion nontheless. Mewtwo and Mew pwn Arceus.

Radikaru

moonrose
    Years
    Oh, I agree. They just keep coming out with more.
    But it's good marketing, and Nintendo is afterall just a company looking for money. xD

But at least it at least somewhat explains their actions, I suppose.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Yes, yes, yes. I really do suggest you check out that vid on Utube, and the one that heracross beats Gary's magmar. It pretty much explains why nobody takes the show seriously anymore, and why you shouldn't listen to the poor excuse to continue the series. But yes, money is more godly than Arceus, Mew, and Mew2 combined these days...pretty much explains it all...and it's a shame too.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Mew contains the DNA of all pokemon and Arceus is the most powerful. In a way, they are both superior in different ways

Arceus still contains Mews DNA, so Arceus may be the superior one. Mew was really never said to be the god pokemon, it just was a powerful, and unique creature.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Yeah, I still hate the cop-out excuse nintendo uses, but you're probably right, though I still view Mewtwo as THE power of pokemon.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    No no.

See, Mew can be seen a little as a god because it has every Pokemon's DNA in it except for Arceus, Dialga, Palkia, Mesprit, Uxie, Azelf, Deoxys, and possibly Giratina. So, that would make it the god of all the Pokemon other then those aforementioned (and according to the show, Ho-Oh). Arceus would still be the god of all other Pokemon.

Yah... I checked Answers.com for that one. ^__^;;

Back