• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What would be the greatest Pokemon RPG: You Choose

Zangooser

Lover of all Zagooses
    Years
    What I think would make the greatest pokemon rpg is an online game.
    Think about it, an online pokemon where can walk around any region,city,or town. You can battle anyone you want! If your a good enough trainer, the Admins might make you a gym leader!. (or the Admins themselves might be gym leaders/elite four.

I think if they did make it like that, they would make you a city/town to orginate in and your starter pokemon depending on the region. They might let you choose what kind of trainer you would want to be!
    I think they'll have special events to go catch Legendaries, and limit one in the whole game.

Picture me!
    Cooltrainer Zangooser
    Home Town: Fallabor

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    Hmm..not sure whether this would go here or into Pokemon General..may as well leave it here X3

Utter Disaster

Absol rules!
    Years
    I?ve been thinking of a game where you play as a member of either Team Magma or Team Aqua. At some points you be a regular trainer with new gym leaders. You could choose the Pokemon the team gives you or catch your own. You would battle against the opposing team in a series of battles to see who?s the best. Eh. Just a thought.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    if they make it at all like city of heroes itll be awesome i tell ya that xD, although you wouldntr be able to catch ledgendaries, youd team up with a few in a couple missions thats all xD everyone would be a trainer and could design their toon

Insomnium

♥ ~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2015
    Maybe you could go on missions, and if you complete them successfully, then you have permission to try and catch one legendary? :D
    (Just a thought!)

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
    As part of the online game thing, maybe some support for GBA Pok?mon games.

Me, a better storage system than Box ? 1500 isn't going to do snuff when you have friends clamouring to store 'em before they go start their games over.

Or, again online, a server for each Battle Frontier facility. Pyramid mania, here I come!

Wingnut

Moon: 12 years and counting...
    Years
    I'm a bit easier to please. I don't play online, so what I want is a full-on Gamecube Pokemon game. None of this snagging business from Colosseum and XD. I want all Pokemon available and I want there to be voices (not just the Game Boy sound effects). It's certainly within Nintendo's capabilities to make such a game happen.

Years
    Utter Disaster had the right point, but I'd go back further. Pokemon: Black: Team Rocket. You start as a lowly Rocket grunt (male/female) and go town to town catching/battle Pokemon and serve missions for the great Team Rocket (finally, steal other Trainers' Pokemon!) and as you succeed, you get promoted and get Pokemon rewards (one of the starters for example) and agents to command. Plus since it's the Rockets, you're bound to get some diversity in your Pokemon selections and play on a lovely dark theme. Make that Venusaur a Rocket Pokemon!

I know that game has been rumorized for years and years. But if only the programmers could see the fanbase as most fans love the Rockets, and just do a lovely synergy of fandom and alternative brilliance.

Just my -2 cents.

Zari

Memento mori.
    Years
    Hm...o.O;; Well, what about melding all the ideas together? Mix every Pkmn generation together, have EVERY town in existence...maybe even an expansion that lets you fully design your own Trainer?...

I dunno...^^ Keep your fingers crossed, folks. ((I want to work for Nintendo, so maybe I can get the ideas to them!))

StephenPokemon Master

Me X ChakiChu from Janime
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 11, 2006
    Zari said:
    Hm...o.O;; Well, what about melding all the ideas together? Mix every Pkmn generation together, have EVERY town in existence...maybe even an expansion that lets you fully design your own Trainer?...

I dunno...^^ Keep your fingers crossed, folks. ((I want to work for Nintendo, so maybe I can get the ideas to them!))

YOU WORK FOR NINTENDO!?*gasps*

Insomnium

♥ ~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2015
    Zari said:

That sounds really cool!:D , but it would take nintendo YEARS for them to make that! (And, maybe for the designing your own trainer part, maybe they could make some skins downloadable from an e-reader game card!)

Years
    As much as I want an online Pokémon game, I find a complication rather hard to solve...

First, think of the world of Pokémon. See how large it is? Now wait a few years to see how much larger the Pokémon gets. It's a lot, isn't it? Assuming that Nintendo and Game Freak want to keep the game up to date, I find it hard for them to expand on a console. All good MMORPGs continue to evolve as time progresses, and console MMORPGs can only go as far as the game data contained on their disks (or cartridges. who knows, maybe they'll have a comeback!) That's why FFXI failed for the PS2 (that problem as well as making the redesigned PS2 NOT able to use the provided hard drive. wow, that's smarts, Sony!). Phantasy Star Online Episodes I, II, III, & IV (for ALL of the sysytems) could have been worthwhile had Sega prevented hackers from roaming free on their servers...

If a Pokémon game were to succeed online, there'd have to be additions every once in a while. Just like Ultima Online, the first MMORPG to have existed, is still running strong: expansion. I don't think consoles will cut it yet...

Until now, I believed that the creators of Nintendo resented the online concept. Now that they see the potential, I hope they don't screw it up with the Revolution.

Oh well. Enough of the bad stuff! I would love the online game to include each and every single detail found in the games and show (it seems that the anime is more directly linked to the games than the mangas). Players would be trainers who could start out in any town or city they wanted. (If Nintendo and Game Freak are inventive enough, they can figure out how to make a house for each player.) Of course, before leaving the town or city, the player would choose between the three starters that are from their region.

I'd also like to be able to completely customize my trainer, from looks to personality. The house would be a nice thing to customize as well. If players wanted, they can also change how their Pokémon look, like adding a mohawk or something.

The battle system would have to be completely re-vamped though since we've seen enough of the 3D "battles" on GameCube and Nintendo 64. I'm thinking real-time battling, keeping the camera behind the player's Pokémon. If the battles were to be like the show's, they'd have to add something like Stamina for Pokémon since they'd be running around the battlefield, not just standing there, taking hits like a tree, or miraculously missing a Pokémon that's standing still. It'd be cool to see the Pokémon interact with their environment, using boulders as cover or something to bounce off of.

Man, I have so many details I'd like to add, but I feel like this post is long enough already...

Gyarados Girl

Atrocious
    Years
    dqle said:
    (If Nintendo and Game Freak are inventive enough, they can figure out how to make a house for each player.)

It would probably end up being like the "Mog House" system in FFXI, when you enter the "Residential Area" it takes you to your specific instanced room.

In my honest opinion, there really hasn't been many worthwhile MMORPGs since Ultima Online during 1998-2000 or so, the expansions kinda hurt that game for me. Since then games like FFXI and WoW have just be sub-par, and very restrictive, not like an MMORPG should be. Earth and Beyond was one I liked, but that ended.

An online pokemon MMORPG, if done correctly... could be an amazing game, if done incorrectly, quite the opposite.

Making a non-gameboy, more open ended, single player RPG would probably be a logical step to gauge the viability of a potential MMORPG.

charizard_maa

Queen Chair
    Years
    It be cool. Like dqle said be compecated but cool I been thinking of the idea of custom triainers and house for GB(whatever) or whatever-the-big-console is. I imangen that the game will be kind of like the SIMS or Knighs of the Old Replibic. Still cool. As long as you get to pick from beign who wver you want to be. Like a Rocket, Magma/Aqua, gymleader-in-training, a hopeful trainer, or (just like I want to be) an adventurer.

A game where you can be whatever you want!!

Insomnium

♥ ~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2015
    Wow, I can't believe I never thought of most of that stuff before, but you're right! If Nintendo and game freak came out with something like that, I think that a lot more people would buy them then the amount of people who are buying it now (Which is quite a lot, actually) I know I would buy!

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    My opinion is controversial to say the least and has spawned mixed reactions on both fronts of the issue, but it's a necessary evil in order to point out some of the problems Pokemon has.

I'd like to see a Pokemon game actually get away from the repetitiveness of the series. Catching Pokemon, training them and competing in leagues and tournaments was cool at first, but after awhile, it got boring.

Then you had the Colosseum and XD games. Great ideas, but poorly executed. Not to mention the Purification chamber in XD was way too freaking confusing. That's another problem. Can they come up with something new without some sort of gimmick?

My concept for a great Pokemon game doesn't involve having EVERY Pokemon in a single game, nor is it about going to EVERY Region. No, instead it's about the story more than anything, something most Pokemon games lack. Because, let's face it. The whole 8 Badges and League thing is a tired concept that needs to be put to rest. I'm just sick of them making the same game over and over again and calling it a new Pokemon game.

Instead, what they should have is a journey that starts similar to the games. You're a new Pokemon Trainer, get your starter Pokemon blah blah... Then suddenly your town gets attacked by an unknown force and everything is turned upside-down, throwing you into a journey of epic proportions to defeat an evil beyond imagination. Oh, and there's... a few... new Pokemon...

Anyway, it's just an idea and has room for expansion upon it. A little hint, to take as you see fit.

Ati

Staff User
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Apr 1, 2009
    For me is Call of latios the best pokemon rpg

but am not sure

Back