• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's all this about bad models?

Years
    That is completely different. 3D models =/= Sprites. The differences are far less noticable between 2 generations of sprites and of models.

Abomination? LMAO.
    They are not all that differant, and yes thet are. Sorry, have to be horribly cliche'd here, but, FF7, 8, 9 to 10 and especialy 12 are are enough of a differance to notice the time span, and they are all a disc medium, and only 1 gen differance, this is carts/Imo, nintendo's mistake/to MiniDisc to DVD. Even Shadow Hearts to Shadow Hearts Covenant, both on PS2, has a massive graphical upgrade. Sorry, but if you think any franchise can get away with this, other than pokemon, heck, even new games not from a franchise, with N64/Early PSOne graphical standard for some characters, you are fooling yourself. This thing on the DS I could see, but not on a home console. Why pokemon fans would put up with this is beyond my comprehension.

I could play my N64 on the N64 or the VC, but not on the Wii as a normal bought at shops game. Again, my sprite referance holds, as it is the same circumstances. You are way too forgiving of sloppy work, just because it's "POKAMANZ"

Last edited:

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    Some people say that pokemon can´t have better graphics because they would probaly not look like pokemon anymore.
    I disagree with that, other franchise, Bandai decided to give it´s pets (digimon)real textures, like fur, etc, in their last movie.
    Here is the result:
    Here you can see a Dorumon, cartoonish, just like pokemon:

And here you can see the same digimon, but now with the textures:

IMO, with the realistic textures it looks much better, and I know a Wii is capable of doing so with pokemons too.
    They will still look like pokemon if they keep their original form.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    *WHOOSH*
    They are not all that differant, and yes thet are. Sorry, have to be horribly cliche'd here, but, FF7, 8, 9 to 10 and especialy 12 are are enough of a differance to notice the time span, and they are all a disc medium, and only 1 gen differance, this is carts/Imo, nintendo's mistake/to MiniDisc to DVD. Even Shadow Hearts to Shadow Hearts Covenant, both on PS2, has a massive graphical upgrade. Sorry, but if you think any franchise can get away with this, other than pokemon, heck, even new games not from a franchise, with N64/Early PSOne graphical standard for some characters, you are fooling yourself. This thing on the DS I could see, but not on a home console. Why pokemon fans would put up with this is beyond my comprehension.

I could play my N64 on the N64 or the VC, but not on the Wii as a normal bought at shops game. Again, my sprite referance holds, as it is the same circumstances. You are way too forgiving of sloppy work, just because it's "POKAMANZ"

You're forgetting something: in those other games the graphics are more likely than not using the same basic models for the characters and just changing the appearance. With Pokemon the creatures are so different that you pretty much have to make a model for each seperate one. AND you have two different color schemes AND the gender differences. All that combined equals quite a bit of memory usage, certainly more than characters from one of the Final Fantasy games.

Also on the point of Final Fantasy, let us keep in mind that games earlier on in a system's life tend not to push the system to its peak, but get much stronger as the system's life goes on (just look at FF7 vs FF9). Who knows what we'll get in the future.

*WHOOSH*

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I still can't believe people are moaning about this. Seriously. Nintendo isn't god, Gamefreak isn't god. They don't have an infinite amount of time or money to make the models for new Pokemon, and redo models for all of the old ones each time.

acrof said:
    If I were to say how many not-remodeled pokemons are in PBR, I would say it´s something about 290 out of 493 pokemons, because a good amount in the first generation was not upgraded, the same goes for G/S/C generation, and only Groudon, Deoxys, and Kyogre were remodeled from the R/S/E generation (for the first preview video of course).
    Doesn't mean the older models are all going to look bad. There is honestly no need to redo the R/S gen, and the Stadium and Stadium 2 models have been used forever with minimal complaints. The older models hold some form of nostalgia for most, and like I mentioned, Gamefreak doesn't have the money or time to redo everything.

At the Dorumon point: To make this short and sweet, Pokemon =/= Digimon. Digimon became more realistic because they wanted to make it available to a teen audience instead of kids. However, Pokemon is for the kids, and will always be for the kids. A drastic change in Pokemon appearance would indefinitely kill the franchise.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I still can't believe people are moaning about this. Seriously. Nintendo isn't god, Gamefreak isn't god. They don't have an infinite amount of time or money to make the models for new Pokemon, and redo models for all of the old ones each time.

Well that is true

Don't look that bad to me; sometimes you have to make with what's available.

true again, next time they can fix there mistakes and learn from them

:t354:tatsujin gosuto

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2010
    .... I think i just discovered something that no1 has noticed...... THEY'RE JUST GRAPHICS! THEY R NOT THAT IMPORTANT!

Luminous_Reaver

Never good enough
    Years
    .... I think i just discovered something that no1 has noticed...... THEY'RE JUST GRAPHICS! THEY R NOT THAT IMPORTANT!

Yeah they are.
    I mean sure, lot's of people say things like that, but graphics do make a difference.

Like when I was playing Ruby the other day, it didn't look as good, or feel as fun.
    Because I've been playing Pearl for a hundred and twenty-four hours.

Sure I still play Ruby, and even (especially) Crystal, but after seeing some better looking games, they don't feel as cool as they did then.
    Also the nostalgia makes them cooler still.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    At the Dorumon point: To make this short and sweet, Pokemon =/= Digimon. Digimon became more realistic because they wanted to make it available to a teen audience instead of kids. However, Pokemon is for the kids, and will always be for the kids. A drastic change in Pokemon appearance would indefinitely kill the franchise.
    But what will happen when the pokemon fans become older?
    They will simply forget about it.
    And without those fans, I know that pokemon will lose popularity.

You see, when I became a fan I was 9 years old, and now I´m 17!
    People like me, who were there when red/blue came out, will surely lose interest in the franchise if they insist in that "pokemon is for children" idea.

I´m not against it though, but they should take this fact seriously.
    Pokemon =/= Digimon
    Everybody says that!:laugh:
    But I´m NOT comparing the concept of Pokemon with the concept of Digimon, and yes, they do have a lot of similarities, belive me I´m a huge fan of them, but thats not the point of my topic.
    The real point of that topic was to show how some textures would look amazing with pokemon, imagine a arcanine or other furred pokemon with fur textures in the games?
    That would be amazing!:cool:

I don´t care if the graphics are good or not either, BUT only when they are in their respective plataforms and are in their respective generation.
    EX:
    I can play Master System games with 8-bit graphics on it,
    and I can play SNES with 16/32- bits graphics on it, and I also can play N64 with 64-bits graphics on it, But I can´t play a Wii game (wich should be around 512-bits graphics, however the term "bits" died with the Dreancast, so...) with 64-bits graphics on it, it´s simply ridiculous.

Last edited:

Midnight_Dragon249

AGUryuka/LOPvalkus/GUILxeros
    Years
    I've been lurking in this thread for awhile now, and I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

While the 1st/2nd gen graphics could use some updating, they're (probably) not bad enough to make a Pokemon fan not get the game. What Asch said is also true; Gamefreak and Nintendo don't have the time to remodel everything. Really, being a company, Nintendo's probably more concerned about making money than making the gamers really happy. They're probably thinking what I stated in the first sentence of this paragraph.

People like me, who were there when red/blue came out, will surely lose interest in the franchise if they insist in that "pokemon is for children" idea.

Keeping Pokemon 'for children' could be a good or bad thing. They could keep atracting the younger generations, which we will never run out of, which would mean their franchise would hopefully not die. If they did what Digimon's doing, maturing with the original audience, after several years, the original audience has either lost interest because of college/work/family/etc or still likes it because it's a mature enough franchise. Although, I think Savers is as mature as they'd get. (Right now, I'm actually for what Digimon's doing. I don't feel as stupid watching Savers as I do Adventure)

Of course, I've never been too harsh on graphics, unless they're so bad I think, "I could do a better job than that!" Obviously, the first/second gen graphics aren't that bad, as I remember sitting in my room playing the Stadium games for hours.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years

Okay, its been over ten years, and Pokemon as a franchise is still holding strong, even stronger than it used to. That in itself is proof enough that keeping the children themed style is working. I became a Pokemon fan ten years ago, I'm still one now. That which makes Pokemon what it is is what draws me to it year after year. Obviously how kiddy-ish it is has little influence on who plays it.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    Keeping Pokemon 'for children' could be a good or bad thing. They could keep atracting the younger generations, which we will never run out of, which would mean their franchise would hopefully not die.
    But remember that even the young generation is playing games like Black, Mortal Kombat, GTA, etc.
    I think even maturing pokemon, they will not lose ANY oportunity to atract new fans, even the young ones.

If they did what Digimon's doing, maturing with the original audience, after several years, the original audience has either lost interest because of college/work/family/etc or still likes it because it's a mature enough franchise. Although, I think Savers is as mature as they'd get. (Right now, I'm actually for what Digimon's doing.
    I think they are doing the right thing.
    Just think about it, Spider Man, wich was created long ago is still very popular even to mature audience (my father is still a fan ^^) and even the new movies being more mature, I have no doubt that many children like it.

I don't feel as stupid watching Savers as I do Adventure)
    Me too! XD
    But I have to tell that I feel very stupid when I stop to watch those new generations of pokemon on TV.
    However I´m still a fan of pokemon!
    But I like just the concept of pokemon, because the games and the anime are looking too childsh for me, but I will still like it forever, even if the company dies,
    the moments that I spent on playing, watching and having fun with pokemon will survive in my memory.

Last edited:
    Back