• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the deal with the anime dubbing schedule?

Years
  • Going to say what I am sure some maybe thinking...

What the heck is with the anime dubbing schedule?? Why is it the way it is? Can anyone explain this or even understand? Maybe some of you guys know more than me about it. I stopped watching the anime a while ago, just curious. I also wanna say I've seen some complaints on X and other platforms, but surprised no one has made a complaint thread here.

Years
  • Over a year after the Japanese version came out is crazy, isn't this the biggest gap we've had since the series started? I honestly think Netflix has done more harm than good for the English dub, at least to me. There are also other issues like replacing music, cutting scenes, and needlessly changing dialogue but that seems routine for the English version at this point. :s

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Over a year after the Japanese version came out is crazy, isn't this the biggest gap we've had since the series started? I honestly think Netflix has done more harm than good for the English dub, at least to me. There are also other issues like replacing music, cutting scenes, and needlessly changing dialogue but that seems routine for the English version at this point. :s
    the dubs have always been like that, one of the reasons why i don't bother with them that often anymore.
    a good example of this is digimon the movie which force-fitted the pilot movie, our war game and hurricane touchdown together to the point that the dub gave a non-canon reason for diaboromon's digiegg coming into existence. in the original, a bunch of viruses clustered together and formed the digiegg which fits with diaboromon being based on the Y2K bug. the dub changed it to force wallace/willis creating the digiegg with it randomly getting infected, one of its many haphazard and lazy attempts to force fit it to hurricane touchdown.
    another change is the scene where diaboromon stopped patamon and tentomon from digivolving. in the original when it happened "brave heart" stopped playing adding to the dramatic feel of the moment the dub changed it to dramatic music playing the whole time and giving diaboromon lines he didn't have in the original
    its also not just dubs that pull this type of stunt, even the japanese ones tend to do this when adapting from stuff as well, 3 prime examples are most isekais, tokyo ghoul and the promised neverland's animes.
    anime "writers" messed tokyo ghoul so bad its like it was thrown into a blender, had some spoiled food added, was blended then had some of the non-spoiled parts of it pored down the drain.
    the promised neverland's anime outright cut out yuugo and the goldy pond arc, both of which were integral to the rest of the story after.

Years
  • It's normal for anime to have a bit of a lag when being localized into English; it's hard work. The Pokemon anime taking about a year to get dubbed is quite typical and not even close to the worst out there (cough cough the One Piece dub being ~5 years behind the Japanese version for like a decade).

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    It's normal for anime to have a bit of a lag when being localized into English; it's hard work. The Pokemon anime taking about a year to get dubbed is quite typical and not even close to the worst out there (cough cough the One Piece dub being ~5 years behind the Japanese version for like a decade).
    one piece is also an abnormality, 4kids botched the dub so hard that funimation had to start from scratch to fix the many mistakes that were made with it. one piece is built around having smaller details come up as major plot devices later, while pokemon's first anime was so haphazardly written that even the japanese writers want you to forget some details like the GS ball & the Pikachu & Pichu short where ash stated it had been a year since he met pikachu.

Back