• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's with all the hate for Kanto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Oh I don't know, it might because Metagross is a beast in competitive play while Magneton was doomed to UU until it got an evolution (which I'm pretty sure you hate anyways, so whatever. >_>)

My advice is to chill. the freak. out. No need to go off telling us we're not pokemon fans because you perceive the newer pokemon to be unoriginal. Believe it or not, there are people in the world with a different opinion than yours and its fully possible to like GenIII-GenV pokemon for any variety of reasons, including design and stats.

I'll give you a moment to let that sink in.

Now stop trying to impress your opinions on us because you'll just keep getting confronted like you have in this thread.

There are some problems I have with your post. If it's okay with you, I'm going to post my problems with it.

Firstly, we are not talking about stats, we are talking about design. Yes, we could be talking about Pokemon in terms of stats but then as Timbjerr said there isn't much of a difference between the old Pokemon and the new Pokemon when it comes to stats.

Secondly, I don't think any body's really here to change any one's opinion (because we all know that nobody will ever admit it if some body changed their opinion) we're just here to state our stance.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Comparing Metagross to Magneton was folly to begin with. Metagross was designed to be a pseudolegendary pokemon with insane stats while Magneton was designed to be a crutch electric-type available mid-game.

It'd be like turning the tables and comparing Dragonite to Altaria. I know you'll agree that the more popular one has a better design and is more used in competitive battling. :P

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Now I'm confused.
    Are you saying a Pokemon is well designed (by that as the concept is good) when it's stats are good or what?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Now I'm confused.
    Are you saying a Pokemon is well designed (by that as the concept is good) when it's stats are good or what?

ssftw brought up that newer-generation pokemon totally overshadow older-generation ones in competitive play by using the fallacious Metagross-Magneton comparison, so I just decided to turn the table around and compare the pseudolegendary from GenI with a mediocre pokemon from GenIII with a similar typing. My wording o fit all was off because I typed it all last night while I was all tired and scatter-brained. XD

Personally, I mainly judge pokemon by their design. If they're based on and interesting concept and a lot of creativity goes into it to separate it from its real-world counterpart, then I like it. I'll have to admit though that once I get into building competitive-build teams for any given generation, their stats and movepool become of more importance and I get to making teams built of pokemon that I like from both criteria.

Let's look at Bronzong, a pokemon that OP said earlier was uncreative and lol-worthy. Do a little research and you'll find it's based on a Japanese folk tale about a haunted bell that terrorized the monks of a religious temple. Kinda cool...kinda creepy...I like it. I just so happens to also be an excellent mixed tank for competitive battling, so I tend to use them a lot. :D

Infernape in particular gets hate for being unoriginal and is accused of being a Blaziken clone. I have to disagree. The Chinese mythological figure Sun Wu Kong that Infernape is based on is a very interesting figure...almost akin to an ancient Chinese Chuck Norris...much more interesting than the Horus of Egyptian mythology that Blaziken is based on. On top of that, he's built like the ultimate glass cannon and makes for a great sweeper or revenge killer on any team. :D

My overall point is that dismissing a pokemon just because it doesn't appeal to you instantly is just plain silly. Look up what they're based on because most of the pokemon based on mythological figures have really interesting histories. XD

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Let's look at Bronzong, a pokemon that OP said earlier was uncreative and lol-worthy. Do a little research and you'll find it's based on a Japanese folk tale about a haunted bell that terrorized the monks of a religious temple. Kinda cool...kinda creepy...I like it. I just so happens to also be an excellent mixed tank for competitive battling, so I tend to use them a lot. :D

Infernape in particular gets hate for being unoriginal and is accused of being a Blaziken clone. I have to disagree. The Chinese mythological figure Sun Wu Kong that Infernape is based on is a very interesting figure...almost akin to an ancient Chinese Chuck Norris...much more interesting than the Horus of Egyptian mythology that Blaziken is based on. On top of that, he's built like the ultimate glass cannon and makes for a great sweeper or revenge killer on any team. :D

My overall point is that dismissing a pokemon just because it doesn't appeal to you instantly is just plain silly. Look up what they're based on because most of the pokemon based on mythological figures have really interesting histories. XD

Okay, so what your saying is, that if a Pokemon is based on a myth that makes it orginal.
    "Originality is the art of concealing your sources"

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
    My opinion on Kanto is that it's one of my favorite regions just because it's the original and it's where I started out, so I have very fond memories of it that can't be matched anywhere else in the Pokeworld. Other people may disagree with that previous statement for their own reasons and I respect that. As for why people hate any region, it's because opinion can be extremely subjective on virtually anything imaginable.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    I don't believe I forgot to do this. Anyway, until some people chill out and realise that this is a Pokémon forum and not a battlefield (and to lessen the infractions and warnings I'll have to give out), I'm going to close this thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back