• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's wrong with "normal" training?

Joe-kun

GOOD GOOD SMILE!
Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2010
    You're both wrong. I said "normal" training is NOT EV Training, and I never even mentioned hacking. o_o;

And agreed, Moriarty. Someone gets it.

Wolfwhispers

Trainers for Life
    Years
  • I've never done EV training either, but I have beaten those who have plenty of times. Honestly, I just do the simple training: attacking until my opponent goes down. -_-

xxashxx

Gotta Catch Em All
    Years
  • What about those that use Shoddy Battle? I have heard from many users that use it it is basically setting your Pokemon the way you want and then you are right into battle. Do you guys think it is a fair program since you can't use shoddy to EV training or is Shoddy used for real battles also. I am not a fan of this program because from what I have heard about the program it does not sound as fun like EV' training and battling on Wi-Fi and a lot of forums are doing away with the Wi-Fi and switching to shoddy. Members say it is much better than Wi-Fi. Is it really that much better since VGC uses Wi-Fi for their yearly tournaments? From what I have been hearing Shoddy is not that great but a lot of members like the program and could someone explain why it is better than Wi-Fi? Thanks.:)

Joe-kun

GOOD GOOD SMILE!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2010
    From what I have been hearing Shoddy is not that great but a lot of members like the program and could someone explain why it is better than Wi-Fi? Thanks.:)

Please don't go off-topic, xxashxx.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    To be honest, both are used for different things. EV training doesn't have to be used all the time, but I would definitely recommend using it when it comes to Wi-Fi battles. As for the storyline in the game, the Gym Leaders and Elite Four members aren't too difficult to beat even if you don't EV train.

So to be exact, you can EV train and regularly train either way as it doesn't really bother. But don't be surprised when people who have EV trained, and come to battle you in Wi-Fi battles while you haven't EV trained yourself, knock you off the ground.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • I'm too lazy to or to learn to EV train, and I think I'd get bored of it pretty quickly. Doing the same thing over and over would kinda take the enjoyment out of the game (which is kinda why I play games) for me. And I'll probably never get into competetive battling so there's not even that plus side for me. So I guess I'll play on with my Pokemon and their mis-matched stats.

Yu_&_Rei

♪Its Quiz Time!♪
    Years
  • I dont EV train at all, maybe I have a few EV trained pokemon but I still win quite a few battles, EV training isnt ALWAYS necessary

cherrybby

→ bellarayne
    Years
  • You're both wrong. I said "normal" training is NOT EV Training, and I never even mentioned hacking. o_o;

And agreed, Moriarty. Someone gets it.

uh... are you talking about me? did you even read my first post? :/ i clearly said that normal training was fine. i never said normal training = ev training. i was also just replying to his mention of hacking.

i wouldn't say that EV training is necessarily 'normal training', though. that's what got me a bit confused. xD

i very much get what you're talking about. (:

Years
  • Agree with that, there's nothing wrong about choosing the best foes for your Pokémon's development. It can even be fun... or challenging, at least.

Well, you can do quests too. You can take a Pokémon to level 100 by trading it to a new game at a low level and battling every trainer on your quest. And with VS Seeker, you can repeat your quest by different ways. No grinding at all. (Depending on how many EXP. points your Pokémon needs)

Pokemon really is a grinding game. You get into a battle, kill the other guy, get into another battle, kill the other guy, repeat ad infinitum. There are no "quests" that reward expirence. It doesn't matter if it is regular trainer battles, or wild battles. Grinding is grinding.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    EV training also comes with a lot of strategy and such. Caus the trained skills must be in consideration with the moveset of the pokemon.
    And realy, as long as you outlevel the poké's ingame, there isn't much need for EV training. Though it might come more in handy when you start with the battle frontier (I think, don't know how it exactly works).

And as for competitive battling, if you realy spend much time and effort in this, I'm sure you'll put much time and effort in your team too.

xxashxx

Gotta Catch Em All
    Years
  • Please don't go off-topic, xxashxx.

I was comparing the 2 and was asking if Wi-Fi was better than Shoddy and if shoddy was worth using over Wi-Fi. Anyway. What is the best way to EV' train before you enter an EV'd battle on Wi-Fi? I might try EV'ing something for getting a good Pokemon and see if I can do it for the Wi-Fi battle. I like Wi-Fi battling but have not had anyone to Wi-Fi battle with for awhile though.:)

Years
  • "Normal training" is EV training. You're still gaining EVs either way. "Normal training" is just really really bad EV training.
    Nuts to spending hours battling countless Margikarp and Pidgeys; I'd rather have fun in my games. ):

If you plan it out carefully, EV training shouldn't even take you more than a half-hour. It would only KO about 30ish Pokemon too.

It's simple. For 252/252/6 all you need is:
    Pokerus (it's hard to get, but people will be willing to give it away hopefully)
    10 Vitamins in the two 252 stats
    1 Vitamin for the 6
    The respective Power Items. (The ones you get by using BP at the Battle Tower/Frontier)

To start the training (the Pokemon has Pokerus of course)
    1. Give 10 vitamins in a stat to a Pokemon (Total is now 100 EVs)
    2. Make that Pokemon hold the corresponding Power item (Pokemon that normally 1 EV will now give 10 EVs)
    3. KO 15 Pokemon that give 1 EV in that stat. (100 EVs + 13 Pokemon x 10 EVs = 100 EVs + 150 EVs = 250 EVs)
    4. Take off the Power item and KO another Pokemon (250 EVs + 2 EVs = 252)
    5. Repeat 1-4 for the other stat.
    6. Use a Vitamin on the last stat
    7. ???
    8. PROFIT

It becomes child's play after a while.

EpsilonE

Banned
    Years
  • Someone may have said this already, but tl;dr

You get EV no matter what way you train. If you do it the "normal" way, the EVs are just spread out instead of compact into one stat

I guess it's only good for ingame battles rather than competitive battling since you get a wide array of all stats up instead of specifics, but if I have an alakazam, by god I'll fight 600 spindas for that massive sp attack

xxashxx

Gotta Catch Em All
    Years
  • Someone may have said this already, but tl;dr

You get EV no matter what way you train. If you do it the "normal" way, the EVs are just spread out instead of compact into one stat

I guess it's only good for ingame battles rather than competitive battling since you get a wide array of all stats up instead of specifics, but if I have an alakazam, by god I'll fight 600 spindas for that massive sp attack

How can you do 600 Spinda's when they can't be caught in D/P? or can they be caught in Platinum?:)

Years
  • That's missing the point. The point is, if you want high stats, you'll have to put in a little effort to get it. If that means KOing 600 of the same Pokemon (in actuality, the most you need is 255), then you will KO 600 of the same Pokemon. Or else no high stat for you.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • i really look at the ev trainig how a challenge to my skills as pkmn trainer, currently i want to make all of my pokemon's ev trained (breeding lots of eggs jeje) but i went to a tournament here in Mexico ( most specifically in the state of Chihuahua) and i beat the first rival with my team of normal trained pokemon's and he has a full team of ev trained, i feel really proud of my boys and ev training really don't make better trainer, because you have to be a really knowledge trainer and have a little of lucky of course jaja but i been trained the 2 ways and don't really matter the most important thing is have fun with pkmn and share this fun with a lot of friends.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    If you're not going to get into competitive battling you won't need to bother yourself with EV training. If you do decide to go competitive you can play exclusively on simulators like Shoddy and NetBattle or you can cheat and use Pokesav. As long as you do "legal" hacks you shouldn't have problems.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • I did EV training once for practice on my Haunter in Diamond. I noticed a signifigant difference in performance, however I did not do it for the whole team.

Why? Simply put, I just prefered normal training (even if a special-attacking, speedy Haunter is awesome). Really, there's nothing "wrong" either EV or normal training. It's all a matter of preference; if you want to be competitive, then you'll want to focus on EV training to better yourself against your fellow players.

If you just want to in-game play, which is perfectly fine (I do that way more than I wi-fi battle; even then, I go up against personal friends), then you can go the normal way and don't have to focuse on EV unless you really want to.

FalconsDrummer

Why yes, I have an Octillery.
    Years
  • I think EV training is completely unnecessary unless you're playing against someone who EV trains. Personally, I want nothing to do with battling someone who puts that much time and energy into preparing. It's just my opinion (so don't attack me for it), but I think "competitive battling" has gone a tad bit too far. I think it's more fun if you just focus on move strategy and the stats your Pokémon have naturally. But that's just my opinion. When I finally get to the point where I can start Wi-Fi battling, I will probably exclusively battle people who don't EV train.

But hey, to each his own.

Back