• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When watching Anime, do you prefer...

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
    Dubs, Subs, or Un-Edited Anime?

I prefer to watch the subs of any Anime. It lets me listen to the original voice actors while still understanding what is going on. Any Dub other than 4Kids is okay in my book and listening to English versions of Anime characters is neat. But some Dubbing companies can change some minor details of the plot, where as Subs do not need to change any of the plot. And I can't understand Japanese, so I could only watch Un-Edited Anime without understanding what's going on.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to make it a poll, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Dubs, Subs, or Un-Edited Anime?

I prefer to watch the subs of any Anime. It lets me listen to the original voice actors while still understanding what is going on. Any Dub other than 4Kids is okay in my book and listening to English versions of Anime characters is neat. But some Dubbing companies can change some minor details of the plot, where as Subs do not need to change any of the plot. And I can't understand Japanese, so I could only watch Un-Edited Anime without understanding what's going on.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to make it a poll, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

It's either dub or raw if you ask me. Subs are just horrible and are sometimes inaccurate, especially fansubs*shakes in fear*, especially those. They even add cursing, what the Mudkips. They shuld already know that there are no words in the Japanese language that actually stand for curses, to my knowledge anyway.

I belive 4Kids has made improvements on it's aquisitions(Dinosaur King and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's) a great way. They don't take out words that are in perfect English nor are they taking out nationalitites(i.e.Japan, America) out of them and are acknowleding them. Of course they aren't perfect yet but they are getting better. If FUNimation can be forgiven, so can 4Kids. In time of course.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    They shuld already know that there are no words in the Japanese language that actually stand for curses, to my knowledge anyway.
    I believe there are some words or expressions that one could translate into English as cursing (probably if they were feeling audacious), but true apparently Japanese has no such words, and there are many ways of translating anything (I understand this liberty given the small amount of Dutch I know); as such, I'd rather watch the Japanese with Japanese subtitles (on English movies I even have English subtitles on, some things said can be unclear), but until I actually learn Japanese it's Japanese with English subtitles for me. Simply said, I just like things to be their original language, or as close to that as may be possible.

devilicious

dream
    Years
    I sighed irl at Beware of Dark Lugia's post.

Subs all the way. Fansubs preferably. Besides hearing the original seiyuus, subbed versions usually have superior translation to the dub. Oh, and piracy issues can go to hell, lol.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    As inaccurate as they may be, subs. It's an improvement over whatever I can make out of it, in any case; and it's usually not much. My Japanese sucks. As long as I can get a gist of what's going on and watch the anime in its native language, they can add entire strings of curse words that weren't there for all I care.
    And ever since 4kids tried dubbing Doremi, I've been deathly afraid of dubs. I only watch them if I can't watch the Japanese episode any other way (such is the case with Pokemon).

suicidesal

GirlWithTheMostCake
    Years

Subs all the way. Fansubs preferably. Besides hearing the original seiyuus, subbed versions usually have superior translation to the dub. Oh, and piracy issues can go to hell, lol.

I agree with everything you said. :D
    Also to note
    Fansubs with few exceptions are done because the fans are passionate about the anime and want to uphold the anime's artistic vision- dubs are mainly done by corporations and want to make money so they get dubbed as fast and cheaply as they can.
    Bad voice actors don't really care if they get a lot of money and are just happy to have work...
    Sentances are often changed when made into english so they don't need to reanimate characters mouthes to fit the english texts

Yu_&_Rei

♪Its Quiz Time!♪
    Years
    I prefer the dubs, fansubs aren't really that great, and when I look at subtitles I'm more focused on the translating subtitles than on the actual one itself.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
    I'll take whatever is available. I tend to watch subs first, and if I like the series I'll buy it when it gets dubbed, but I don't really have a personal preference. Subs are useful when it's a series that won't get dubbed, but a lot of anime that are released dubbed on DVD nowdays give you the choice of viewing it subbed. Fansub groups are only good depending on the series, as well.

Kirakishou

*~Snowdrop Crystal~*
    Years
    Now, that would depend on the quality of the voice acting. If its something like Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, I'd prefer it to be dubbed (excluding the abridged gig movies and their crappy new VA) because I have difficulty enough following it sometimes as is.
    But if the quality of the dub is horrendous, such as Yu-Gi-Oh! 5Ds, Rozen Maiden, Pokemon DP and numerous others...I'd sooner watch it with subtitles. I need decent voice acting if I'm going to watch it in dub.

fade101

I rawr youu!!
    Years
    Definitely subbed...
    I prefer the original language and well i'd like to understand what their talking too so
    SUB FTW!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I'll usually watch an anime at least twice. First time will be the dub if available, then usually the sub afterward. Subsequent watchings will be of the format that I preferred.

I listen to both then decide which is better. Dubs range from utter crap to rivaling the quality of the original voice actors, depending on who performs the dubs.

Long story short, my preference varies depending on how good the dubs are for a particular show XD

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Dubs, I can't really strain my eyesight, especially if they use font that definitely blends in the background, and with low quality? no way.

i pretty much prefer dubs.

Years
    I have no set "preference". Whether I watch a series subbed or dubbed depends on a few things: namely, what I feel like watching at the time, and what's even available to me. Sometimes it's also a matter of what I'm used to hearing, though even that's not always the determining factor in which version I end up preferring more. I know there have been a few times when I've gone straight for the dubbed version on a DVD just because I wanted to listen to english instead of japanese - and also times when I've actually liked a dub over the original version.

I know there are a few (older) series where I absolutely will not watch a dubbed version because I can't stand it at all, for whatever reason - but that's about it, really. Otherwise, all versions get an equal chance from me.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015

I agree with deviruchi…
    And it help me learn to speak Japanese too… xD;

Back