• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Well, Nintendo/Game Freak have betrayed their original audience and sold out the most loyal of players. Read my much earlier posts in this thread; I won't explain myself again.

EDIT: Pretty much backs up what I'm saying. America as the racial melting pot and centre of the world is complete tosh.

I wouldn't necessarily call it pandering or sucking up to the American fanbase, America is the next biggest fanbase for Pokemon besides Japan, and when Gamefreak said they wanted to set Isshu in a new far away region, it would make sense to put it where the most Pokemon fans are, outside of Japan of course.

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
    Years
    Getting back on topic, i had a feeling Isshu was New York for awhile now. From that XXL map, you can see the 5 Bouroughs, the Brooklyn bridge, etc.

I do think Isshu is based on America as a whole, because New York is pretty much a microcosm of America. For you illiterates, microcosm is a small group of individuals whose behavior is typical of a larger social body encompassing it.

Agreed; this is kinda what I've been thinking all along. I figured they might make it in the general shape of New York, but develop the region so it encompasses more then just one city. Although, I've gotta admit, New York makes a pretty decent microcosm of American society, as you said. Well, better than most of the other cities in America, at least. (:

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I wouldn't necessarily call it pandering or sucking up to the American fanbase, America is the next biggest fanbase for Pokemon besides Japan, and when Gamefreak said they wanted to set Isshu in a new far away region, it would make sense to put it where the most Pokemon fans are, outside of Japan of course.

Its the fact that they HAVE based the region on a location outside of Japan that irks me. Not the fact that it is based in America; I would feel the same if it was based anywhere else. Of course, it is some of the bigger headed American players who will let this go to their heads, which irks me even more. The US is only the second biggest fanbase in terms of country population density; what about the fans from other Asian countries? Europe, South America, Australasia?

I just feel that they are betraying their domestic fan base by basing it outside of Japan in this way. It is a japanese game and should remain so, they shouldn't need to pander to the American fanbase like this.

Also, on a literal level then I suppose the racial melting pot idiom is quite accurate, since the country is made up of millions of second/third/fourth generation immigrants. But, I think people are kidding themselves if they think that the US isn't one of the most racially intolerant countries in the world and, as I believe no country should be placed above another in ranking, since we are all human beings and all equal, it does smack me a bit of sucking upto the American fanbase, for want of a better term.

If this gets interpreted as me hating on Americans then believe what you will, I'm just staing my opinion that I think it is disrespectful of Game freak to betray their original audience in this way, regardless of where the game is based on.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
    Well then, I guess I'll be visiting NYC this fall! I've never been there before. :D

How exciting, my first trip to the Big Apple is via Pokemon World, wooo. ;D

Years
    Its the fact that they HAVE based the region on a location outside of Japan that irks me. Not the fact that it is based in America; I would feel the same if it was based anywhere else. Of course, it is some of the bigger headed American players who will let this go to their heads, which irks me even more.

I just feel that they are betraying their domestic fan base by basing it outside of Japan in this way. it is a japanese game and should remain so, they shouldn't need to pander to the American fanbase like this.

I do see where you're coming from though, I understand that it would be an ego pumper for some people. :/ I think Gamefreak is walking a razor's edge with this one, they're revamping the franchise, but at the same time they're changing so many traditional features of Pokemon to the point that it alienates the veteran players.

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
    Years
    Its the fact that they HAVE based the region on a location outside of Japan that irks me. Not the fact that it is based in America; I would feel the same if it was based anywhere else. Of course, it is some of the bigger headed American players who will let this go to their heads, which irks me even more.

I half agree with you there. The game's regions and everything about them are so heavily influenced by Japan, and that IS where it originated from. At the same time, I feel that we've only gotten a small portion of the WORLD of Pokemon. They're bound to be places that have a different culture; I mean, the Pokemon world's gotta be around the size of our own, right? I think they'll need to keep even more of the world's cultures in mind for future regions, if there are any.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I do see where you're coming from, I do understand how it would be an ego pumper for some people. :/ I think Gamefreak is walking a razor's edge with this one, they're revamping the franchise, but at the same time they're changing so many traditional features of Pokemon to the point that it alienates the veteran players.

I'm glad that you see where I'm coming from and that you agree to an extent. I'm not trying to hate on America here, I'm just stating some facts and opinions. If I was a hardcore Pokémon fan from Japan, I would feel extremely betrayed right now.

Let's imagine, to others who don't really get what I'm saying, a hypothetical situation. There is a new, unique game that gets released in a country like, say Ireland. It is entirely fictional, but the places and people within the game are all based on real-life Irish locations. Then, as the game increases in popularity, it gets imported to Japan and eventually a localised translation of the game is released. After a few years, there is a massive fanbase for the game in Japan. The Irish gamemakers realise this, and go back on the basis of their original games and made it so unique and popular, and release a new game based on Japanese locations. If you were a loyal fan of this game and from Ireland, would you not feel betrayed by the people who make the game?

I don't mean to stray too much off-tpic, but that is my opinion on this. It won't stop me buying the game; as I'm not from Japan it doesn't affect me in this way, but I'm trying to put myself in the position of the hardcore Japanese players who were there since the start, before the fanchise gained worldwide renown.

Angelroid

Sun X
    Years
    Well, Look at this:
    Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

^1916
    and

^1674
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Lower_Manhattan_from_Helicopter.jpg
    ^2008

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm glad that you see where I'm coming from and that you agree to an extent. I'm not trying to hate on America here, I'm just stating some facts and opinions. If I was a hardcore Pokémon fan from Japan, I would feel extremely betrayed right now.

Let's imagine, to others who don't really get what I'm saying, a hypothetical situation. There is a new, unique game that gets released in a country like, say Ireland. It is entirely fictional, but the places and people within the game are all based on real-life Irish locations. Then, as the game increases in popularity, it gets imported to Japan and eventually a localised translation of the game is released. After a few years, there is a massive fanbase for the game in Japan. The Irish gamemakers realise this, and go back on the basis of their original games and made it so unique and popular, and release a new game based on Japanese locations. If you were a loyal fan of this game and from Ireland, would you not feel betrayed by the people who make the game?

I don't mean to stray too much off-tpic, but that is my opinion on this. It won't stop me buying the game; as I'm not from Japan it doesn't affect me in this way, but I'm trying to put myself in the position of the hardcore Japanese players who were there since the start, before the fanchise gained worldwide renown.

^Good point. I think Gamefreak is hoping that they can, i guess, brush that fact under the rug though. If Black and White excells and revitalizes the franchise, and draws many new fans to the Pokemon gaming community, I don't think they'd care too much about the tradition of it, or its perception by the old guard of Pokemon fans. :/ as sad as that is. They see big time $$$ in B&W, and thats mostly it im guessing.

Back on topic, those pixs Angelroid put up are of NYC awhile back, before it was a huge port. Im not sure what that proves, except Isshu is based around modern NYC. It isn't that obvious without the skyscrapers. xD

Last edited:

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    None of my Japanese friends feel betrayed. Nor do they know anyone who is or even slightly cares. They actually think it makes the game more interesting.

Just saying.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    Well then perhaps I am more patriotic about national institutions as an Englishman moreso than Japanese people are, and even I putting myself in the position of a Japanese. I just thought you would be more concerned about it; culture differences I guess. I would still like to know why they don't feel betrayed about it though.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    Well then perhaps I am more patriotic about national institutions as an Englishman moreso than Japanese people are, and even I putting myself in the position of a Japanese. I just thought you would be more concerned about it; culture differences I guess. I would still like to know why they don't feel betrayed about it though.

To be quite honest, Japan has adopted many cultural aspects of America. Most of them actually look up to America, except for when it comes to the military. They strongly oppose the base in Okinawa.

But Japan and America are not as different as you would think.

And plus, it's just a game.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Shouldn't this thread be closed by now. It's gone on for far too long and it's annoying xD I've gone from thinking Shanghai to New York. Which turned out to be real ^_^

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I'm fully aware it's just a game; that's not the point though. I'm usually not partial to reading things into games because, as you say, that's all it is; fiction. But, when it comes to betraying your origins and roots, it becomes a different matter entirely.

I suppose it all comes down to culture differences, and in that sense this is going to go nowhere; here in England our national institutions are a form of great pride amongst our people, and relate greatly to our national identity, and when that is under threat it can cause great anger. That is what I interpret this as, but you see it in a different light to myself and we must respect that.

My point still stands, I feel they should still focus on their original and domestic fanbase and not on others. That is all.

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011

No I wouldn't feel betrayed because that makes no sense...
    I would just be excited that a new game that I love is now getting a unique taste and a nice change of location so its not always the same...
    Plus you get a feel of what NYC is like if they do it right instead of an experience of a location you are already an expert on...
    If an American location based game got a new game of its series that I loved and was based on Japanese culture and locations I would be happier because I'm not accustom to Japan at all...
    Instead of betrayal I would feel like better...
    I understand you, but I like the pros enough to not care about the cons...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Mhmm I was planning to. As promised, this thread will meet its end because now we know where Deerling is. In order to prevent this from going into only "I was right you were wrong, go fall in a hole" in the future, I'm going to lock it.

You are free to let your opinions be heard in the Pokemon Pia thread, which is where we found out where Isshu is based on. Hopefully everyone will act in a civil manner there.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back