• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which 2D game maker is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waudby

I haven't gotten started on Sphere yet...

I've noticed that no one has opted for the open source game engines, why is that? They all have the potential to be more powerful than RMVX or GM.

Sphere is an open source engine which you can fiddle about with.

It is still being maintain with updates to the engine being released every so often.

Getting started in Sphere isn't easy, it's quite a daunting task, but us lot on the spherical forums are friendly when it comes to helping out.

You should sign up and ask away.

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    Whoa. That sounds dangerously close to an advertisement to me. ;)

I'll look into it. Thanks.

Years
  • Well, I've just started trying to learn something in Sphere, I know its difficult to start in Sphere, but I will try. The bad thing is that I cant find any usefull begginers tutorials. I've searched, but there are things how to do a Battle System etc. I've also used help function in program, but it doesn't tell me what I've need. Can someone tell point by point how to use Captain Arcane tilesets from Resources to make map with them, like import them good etc. I've tried to make them spritesheet but by the way, I couln't do it good. Please help ;) .

jonsploder

Teh SHPLODAR
    Years
  • GameMaker is the best choice for people that want to do things that every other program you mentioned there can't. You can do online games, 3D games and everything unimaginable in RPGMaker. It is rather hard in comparison however to RPGMaker/s, as they are basic all easy maps and events. In GameMaker it revolves around coding for anything decent. However GM is much easier than languages like C++ etc... And while it can deliver the same program usually, C++/Java, it doesn't have that flexiblity that you need sometimes. It will same you much more time though, and is a great starting point.

So there you have it, its a program for in between "complicated" languages and "easy" tools like RPGMaker. I prefer it as it saves much time, with amazing flexibilty and is very easy to understand.

Waudby

GameMaker is the best choice for people that want to do things that every other program you mentioned there can't. You can do online games, 3D games and everything unimaginable in RPGMaker. It is rather hard in comparison however to RPGMaker/s, as they are basic all easy maps and events. In GameMaker it revolves around coding for anything decent. However GM is much easier than languages like C++ etc... And while it can deliver the same program usually, C++/Java, it doesn't have that flexiblity that you need sometimes. It will same you much more time though, and is a great starting point.

So there you have it, its a program for in between "complicated" languages and "easy" tools like RPGMaker. I prefer it as it saves much time, with amazing flexibilty and is very easy to understand.

Well, that being said, in sphere I have scripted a batch image editor, which allows me to manipulate as many images as I see fit and save them all at once, it has saved me a hell of alot of time.

I've also started working on the online stuff, and Sphere did(not sure if it does now) have simple 3d functions too.

If you did want a good leg up into the world of programming I do advise to go with Sphere for the simple fact that it uses javascript to code and it's obviously alot more documented.

It is practically possible to make any sort of game in sphere to, from platformers through to rpg's or point and click adventures.

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    Interesting how Sphere is so popular here. I will definitely try it out and see what I think. But still, this isn't just for me. Other people want to know what 2D game engines out there are best. If there is a 2D engine that you know of and/or like, then post here about it, and I'll add it to the list. I should start a poll too...

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Stencyl is going to be the best gamemaker ever it's Free, everything is point and click and you can make any type of game in it, Platformer/Shooter/RPG/Tactics/ect.. and you can mix the types, and no programing is necessary.

EDIT: Here's a link for all interested: http://www.stencyl.com/about/

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2011
    Personally, my favorite 2D engine has always been RPG Toolkit. It's probably the most versatile free engine out right now and comes with a commercial use license that you don't even need to pay for. It has a lot of great features, it's open source, supports plugins, and it's super easy to use...it even comes with some of the most useful help files I've seen. Totally my favorite engine ever.

LegosJedi

Amateur Video Game Maker
    Years
  • I always used to use RPG Maker 2k3/XP, but since I don't have Windows anymore, I have to find one that runs on Mac. From the list given, novashell is the only one, but it looks kinda..... complicated. I'll try messing around with it some more.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    I'm using Game Maker 6.1 Registered (Pro Edition), and its pretty good. The scripting language is wonderful, its so powerful that you can just about do anything with it if you know how to use GML. Right now I'm making a Sonic fangame called, "Sonic Revival" with it. Game Maker can easily make games that also run at the perfect 60 FPS frame rate. The programming language is so powerful that you can just about do anything with it. The only thing you can't do with Game Maker is that you can't change the palette of a sprite, and you can't really create decent 3D graphics. But in my opinion, its the perfect program for 2D Platformers, and 2D RPGs.

Unfortunately, not much people here are into Sonic The Hedgehog. I'm thinking of starting to work on a Pokemon engine, although it would be heavily influenced by Super Smash Bros., and the movement won't be grid movement like all Pokemon games.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2011
    You use Game Maker? I wouldn't touch that if I was paid to...well maybe if I was paid to. Still, you must not have read your license agreement very carefully if you're still under the impression that you are actually allowed to make games with it. You can't legally use any sounds, sprites, etc...that you didn't make yourself, you aren't allowed to produce any material that might offend someone in any way, you aren't allowed to make fangames either (use of someone else's intellectual property). Basically, Game Maker has one of the most fascist licenses ever known and ownership of said software does not imply any permission to make any games, real or imagined, at any time.

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    I've used GM, and it has some pretty nice tutorials for it. No, I have not read the license, but I doubt it is that restrictive. Care to show a quote of it?

I've head of Styncyl before...I'll look into it, thanks. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    I've seen MILLIONS of fangames made with Game Maker. In fact, from what I've seen other than at the Game Maker Community, Game Maker is used to make fangames the most. You see, that rule of fangaming was illegal never really came until Game Maker's new company turned into YoYoGames, and with the release of Game Maker 7. I am still using Game Maker 6.1, and it is not licensed by YoYoGames, so technically I can make fangames if I wanted (Which I am, I'm making a Sonic fangame).

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    Way to get around the law! XD

Really, that's stupid then. I always have wondered why hardly anyone used the latest version of GM, and now I know why. The retards, I'll use Sphere. :) I want something that is open-source anyway, it has the potential to be much more powerful than anything else available.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
    Years
  • I'm going for one that isnt listed.
    And thats RPG Maker 2003.
    Alot of people still prefare this to the other makers in the RPGMAKER series.
    I'm one of them.
    I've made all my projects with it, just like at my latest- Pokemon Proectors to see what you can do with it.
    I've been using it for about 4/5 years now (since the english patched version came out) and when you know what you can and cant do, its one of the best to work with. With more point and click options then both RMXP and RMVX- it helps people who are starting off with it better.
    And I thought I was the only one. XD I've never really cared for RMXP, and I sorta get a bit irritated that more resources are made for RMXP than for RM2000/3. I've stuck with RM2003 this far, and I don't plan on changing my mind anytime soon.

BTW, for anyone who's reading this, GlitterGold should be making a comeback this summer. With any luck.

Razer Rage

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2012
    Wow. That lime text kinda hurts my eyes. Hmm, a second opinion for RM2003...would you mind posting a link to it? It's something I would like to look into.

I have used RMVX, and I have found it to my liking, as it is simple enough to use, although I wish that the makers would make tuts like they did for GM. Especially for the scripting bit.

I doubt I'll actually use RM2003 to make any games, seeing as it doesn't offer much in the ways of customizing the program itself (not open source/no scripting language).

So yeah. Half a mind towards RMVX, half towards Sphere, although I have yet to use it. I might consider the old version of GM, it's actually pretty easy to go with once you use the tuts.

GymLeaderLance99

A Muffin Button
    Years
  • PM me, and I should be able to. But I'm fixing up the demo I recovered from the guy helping me in the game's CBS department, so... (BTW, since I'm using the Dialga skin, the lime text isn't that bad. Plus it's sorta my trademark. XD)

Luke128th

These days shall pass...
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jun 1, 2012
    I've been using RMXP for while. I've tried GameMaker. Didn't work out for me the best way possible. I say RMXP. It may be a little hard to understand at first, but once you get the hang of it, the possibilities are endless(well almost :P).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back