• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which battles do you dread the most?

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
  • Even that website called TV Tropes mentions that. Choosing Charmander makes Brock a nightmare cos you won't have many Grass or Water-types.

That's true. ln the GBA remake, Charmander can learn Metal Claw, an attack that's super effective against Brock's Pokemon. Despite that, his Pokemon's physical Defense will still be a problem.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I always dread getting to Mossdeep in Emerald, since not only do I dislike going through the massive water route I can never seem to navigate, but also because Tate and Liza give me trouble every time.

Other than that, I can't really think of anyone else. Maybe rival battles, particularly the first time I played through BW. Not necessarily because they're hard, but because they pop up everywhere. I take one step into the new route after beating the Gym, then bam! "Hey Zephele, we have the same badges! LET'S FIGHT!" Ugh.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    I hate the battles that happen when you are trying to get somewhere important but you don't have any repels.......sucks....

Years
  • Well, I can say I hate the battle with the rival, especially after staleport city in Emerald. I didn't save and she beat the crap out of me. After I reset, I suddenly realize the last time I saved was before the 2nd gym. :( :(

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Battles in caves, where I already am desperate to get out because I ran out of repels, my Pokémon are BURU BURU and then I get challenged by a Hiker with 6 Graveler >:c

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    For me, it was battling Fantina only with my Monferno and Togepi.

Monferno takes out all pokemon except Mismagius, and Togepi uses sweet kiss + metronome combo until metronome is all used up and uses grass knot.

Yeah, it was quite extreme.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The only specific battler I can remember dreading was Clair in Gold version. The strategy guide I bought had warned me about her damn Kingdra - and it didn't lie! - so I went into that battler fearing for the worst. Apart from that, any battle where I'm far away from a PokeCentre is slightly disconcerting, as I never carry any Potions or other healing items. Mainly 'cause I'm cheap when it comes to stuff like that!

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
  • Whitney, oh dear bloody Arceus, Whitney. Freaking Miltank traumatised me. You'd pretty much defeat her first pokémon with little more than a scratch, but leave it to that bloody cow to take out your entire team one by one with her rollout.

And of course, rival battles. They can really piss me off when I am trying to rush to a pokémon centre, with my team pretty much half dead, and guess who's coming around the corner to challenge you for a battle? Every... bloody... time!

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
    Years
  • At first i didnt dread ghetsis' battles until that badass hydreigon wrecked my entire team( i was unprepared my first playthrough) i wiped the floor with him the second time but i still anticipated that hydriegon

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2012
    I ****ing dreaded going to fight ghetsis. But i was happy that i had my Galvantula in my party and i one shotted his hydregeon with an X scissors. other than that red in soul silver......he was a monster XD

torchickensandwich

<-- this guy
    Years
  • Any trainer that has Spiritomb. So I guess just Cynthia. I love her as a character but I always have so much trouble battling Spiritomb. Good stats, moveset and spamming double team. Gah.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2014
    In the OG Pokemon Red and Blue a little after you beat Misty there was a level 20 Butterfree that knew Sleep Powder, Supersonic, Poison Powder, and Stun Spore. I hated that thing. If you didn't have Geodude and you didn't choose Charmander you didn't really have anything supereffective. And it was usually faster than your Geodude. Mandatory battle too. Tough, tough, tough.

Also Whitney in G/S Defense Curl, Rollout, Rage Quit, repeat. Until you found out there was an easy trade for a Machop :)

Also the level 70 bird in G/S. Since it had a higher level than all of my Pokes and it knew Recover. Same could be said for Mewtwo I suppose.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2012
    OH MAN TATE AND LIZA
    they might as well be in the elite four because DAMN. at that time the only useful pokemon i had were mightyena and walrein. blaziken became a last-resort pokemon, gardevoir was rendered useless and the rest of my team were basically wiped out by xatu's confuse ray and claydol's earthquake.
    but the battle doesn't even start there, when solrock came out it was like a pimple you couldn't pry off with facial cream because it had sunny day and solar beam and walrein always died because of that. there was also lunatone's hypnosis which was incredibly annoying because i'm never the type to stock on stat-enhancing items such as full heals and awakenings.
    you have no idea how many times i had to re-battle them. i don't even understand how that could happen when i easily breezed past wallace and the elite and the rest of the gym leaders.

EDIT:
    i'm scared of cynthia, too. as soon as her battle theme plays, i get genuine goosebumps and i start praying to god to help me win her over. man i had a hard time taking her milotic down. it's like murder machine that won't let you get through and it just basically surfs and surfs and surfs. spiritomb is also a force to be reckoned with. it doesn't have any weaknesses so i don't really know who i should put it up against. and i also hate its dark pulse to the core.

cynthia is a tough nut to crack. and when you think you're almost about to bring her pokemon down, when it's this close to fainting, she retaliates with a full restore and you can just feel this urge to throw your ds out the window.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Cipher Admin fights where the evil beep uses an Attracy based strategy.
    Like Lovrina from The Under of Pokemon Colosseum.

PP stalling where opponent has some Pressure guys out and the can use Dig/Dive/Fly and Protect.

Am I the only one annoyed by Role Play Simisear? Butt ugly monkey made my Jellicent sad...

Red Blue fights against a Wrap user or Screech user (volume off please).

Battle Frontier, am not that pro.

Last edited:

Vasquez

Hacker and LPer
    Years
  • *Fishermen w/ all Magikarp teams ANNOY ME TO NO END. I mean, they're just a waste of PP and don't yield EXP to reward you for your time
    *Whitney... I mean, that Miltank is ridiculous!
    *Just weak trainers in general. Trainer levels should be adjusted to suit approximate Party levels of your team at that point. G/S/C was infamous for having weak trainers/Pokemon late in the game (The most memorable I think being a guy who has a lv.6 Voltorb a little North of Goldenrod.)

Back