• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which do you prefer? Ash or Red?

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years
    He does not say that before every battle and what else is he suppose to say? "I'm gonna lose."? A lot of characters like him use absolutes in their manner of speaking but that doesn't mean he doesn't believe he can lose. He only says "I'm gonna win this." and the like because he can't go into a battle believeing he won't.

He basically does, or at least something to the effect. Going in to win a battle is different to predicting the end result, I used to do a good bit of competitive martial arts and most people (including myself) refused to predict the outcome as it clouded the mind with unnecessary thoughts but likewise everyone was there to win. However their are those that find it easier to push them selves if they do decide that the inevitable outcome of their victory exists. As for other things to say he could simple do his usual things "I wonder what Pokemon he/she uses", "I can't wait", "this is going to be tough" without the "I'm going to win", "prepare to lose" etc.

Now please note, I actually think that attitude suits Ash's character. I point these thing out because as I said "just because you find the faults created by the style of story telling worse than Ash's doesn't make it an absolute truth (and vise versa ) and just because you don't notice, mind or if you enjoy certain aspects it doesn't mean those aspects can't be the exact same reason someone else dislikes it."

You thinking that, that is a good or correct trait doesn't make it one and just because someone doesn't think it is a good trait doesn't make it that either. It simply makes it a good trait to you and a bad trait to the other person. Their is no right and wrong in what kind of characters you prefer from a media, nor in the reasons you think so since it is a "personal" preference.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    You thinking that, that is a good or correct trait doesn't make it one and just because someone doesn't think it is a good trait doesn't make it that either. It simply makes it a good trait to you and a bad trait to the other person. Their is no right and wrong in what kind of characters you prefer from a media, nor in the reasons you think so since it is a "personal" preference.
    When did I indicated that my thinking behind it was like that?
    I was simply trying to make sense of the other poster's absolutive perspective that Red thought in a particular manner that I have not witness in the series and the fact they was insinuating that Ash did not do this.

I know there are problems with both medias. The anime keeps using the same pattern and it's inconsistent. While the manga is too gamey and also keeps using the same pattern. (Actually, repeativeness is a problem in most of the Pokemon series.)
    I'm just sticking up for the anime because I like it and I'm severly annoyed by those who bash it without giving any real reasoning behind it.

2PercentMiltank

Got Miltank? :D
    Years
    Holy crap, Red all the way. I've seen some of the manga series with him in it (forgot the name of course XD), and I just greatly prefer his personality to Ash's. I used to think Ash was awesome, and I still do, but only in the earlier seasons of the anime. Once the end of Hoenn rolled around (new voice actor - yeah I'm one of those people), I was just like "NJFSNFIP WHAT IS THIS."

:<~

So yeah, Red for me. I'm still working my way through the manga, but it's fun so far. :D

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years
    When did I indicated that my thinking behind it was like that?
    I was simply trying to make sense of the other poster's absolutive perspective that Red thought in a particular manner that I have not witness in the series and the fact they was insinuating that Ash did not do this.

By arguing that Ash isn't confident all the time (which is a major characteristic of Ash) suggests that you don't see it as character flaw in him rather than thinking it doesn't exist (since it is a trait he has always had and is hard to miss).

She posted no absolute on Red's behalf, one was insinuated towards Ash (but not stated) however none was given for Red. All that is needed is one example of Red not saying he's going to win, I'm pretty sure there are more than a few examples if I remember rightly. I don't have my copies (I've recently moved and haven't got all my stuff moved in yet) but if I remember rightly he thought he was going to lose to Brock since he only had his Pikachu left (but was going to try to win anyway). As for Ash we can only know what he's thinking by what he says and he is always confident, which seems to be a trait of the majority of trainers in the series.

I'm just sticking up for the anime because I like it and I'm severly annoyed by those who bash it without giving any real reasoning behind it.

What reasoning does someone need for it to be real? If you are saying that real statement would have to meet an objective analysis then I would agree. To say that Ash is rubbish because he had a Charizard since Pallet town would be flawed as he didn't. However all your arguments in this thread have been in the subjective (except on Ash or Red being created first) and in the subjective I disagree that there ever can be a "real reason". For Ash thinking he can always win, since we are not generally privy to his thoughts we can only make a judgement based on his words. His words do suggest a great deal of confidence and this can be interpreted as him building himself up for a battle or as in him genuinely believing he can not lose. Both conclusions are personal interpretations of his speech and are therefore subjective.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
    This:

Which do you prefer? Ash or Red?

Red would just eat Ash for breakfast. Plus, there is an actual story in the manga. It's just so much cooler than the anime. Although, I still like Ash.

Back