• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Generation Had the Worst Pokemon Designs Overall?

Which Generation Had the Worst Pokemon Designs Overall?

• Total voters

Thunderwolf1989

Ninetales fan! Ground trainer
    Years
    Gen I : Wow! Pokémon, Gotta catch 'm all! Yay, pokémon!
    Gen II : New Pokémon? Great, more to catch! Nice to see some new ones, they look great!
    Gen III : Again? What, are them Hoenn people living in the stone age up untill now? And what are those freaks? Anyways, there's a few that are cool, so let's catch those.
    Gen IV : What the... They created monsters out of the cool pokémon. Blegh! Let's just get this over with, transport from previous gen and utterly destroy those monsters.
    Gen V : So far, idk, just one has been released and it doesn't look like a pokémon either..

As I can't really judge Gen V yet with just Zoroa/Zoroark, so for now, the answer is still Gen IV's the worst..

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2010
    Gen 1: "OMG POKEMON SO COOL@@@@@@@@@@"
    Gen 2: "OMG NEW POKEMON COOOOOOOOOOL"
    Gen 3: "WTF IS THIS POMEGRANATE THIS ISNT POKEMON"
    Gen 4: "Oh, this again"

From my experiences.

Exactly the same ^_^. As for Generation 1 being plain? Well when i think of Pokemon, i think of Gen1. You look at Gen4 and its flippin crazy, they just DONT LOOK LIKE POKEMON ANYMORE. If in 1999 you lined up Gen1 pokemon with Gen4, would you honestly be able to tell that Gen4 were still pokemon? or just another rip off of it like Digimon e_e

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I think gen 1 had the worst designs. Simplicity is fine, but some of the Pokemon were far too simple: Electrode, Voltorb, Magnemite, Magneton, Diglett, Dugtrio, Gastly, Exeggute - they're all just circles with eyes. Starmie and Staryu don't even look like Pokemon - they're emotionless.

Plus, gen 1 had Kangaskhan who I do not like at all.

To be honest, I think that the main reason why people complain about new Pokemon is because they're not used to them. People complain about Magmortar looking silly, yet Magmar looked just as silly, if not moreso, with those lips. You grew up with the gen 1 and gen 2 Pokemon, so you had a whole childhood to get accustomed to them. But there's certainly some rubbish among their ranks.

Like an ugly baby who you just have to live with, you get used to them after awhile.

Last edited:

Sarah Paliner

:: Zetsubou no Carnival ::
    Years
    Generation III, probably. A couple of Gen IV Pokemon actually looked quite cool (particularly the Lake Trio and Shaymin). If the Zoroark design trend continues, though, Gen V is set to knock out Gen. III as the worst for me.

Searn

Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    I'm a fan of the classics, my favorite game was generation 2, and the legendary dogs were awesome, generation 4 were too unoriginal and there was no pokemon that stood out that made me want to train it, closest one would be Hippowdon, which was my favorite. Also, waaaay too many legendaries in the latest generation

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    I admit, Pokemon green were pretty bad. But they upgraded that in R/B/Y but that doesn't mean they were the worst..

Johto was completely awesome. Every pokemon made me go 'Woah!'

Kanto was decent. Had good detail like Groudon.

Sinnoh was awful. The pokemon looked awful!

Carnivine... Bidoof... Lickilily PROBOPASS!!

Nyjil da Kid

Jambalaya of Justice League
    Years
    It's kinda funny. I couldn't stand restarting LeafGreen or Ruby because I couldn't stand most of the Gen 1 and 3 Pokemon. Maybe I'm just ignorant but what graphic limitation did Gen 1 have? They used pencil and paper just like they do today. Can somebody clarify, please. Gen 4 was actually my favorite out of all them, then came Gen 2, and a close tie between G1 and G3. I've been playing Pokemon since it came out and I'm just realizing how dull and boring, IMO, most of the Gen 1 looks besides the starters, of course. But that's just me...

Years
    Maybe I'm just ignorant but what graphic limitation did Gen 1 have? They used pencil and paper just like they do today.
    That's what I use to think, but wouldn't it be a bit strange to have a Pokemon look really detailed in its Sugimori art, yet have it missing many features in the games, where they actually are limited on how detailed they can look? There's no way they could have made a RBGY sprite of Dialga.

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    Gen 3 is probably the most shocking, considering the designs were great for 2 generations and all of the sudden they ran out of ideas, but gen 4 was definitely the worst as far as bad designs go.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
    None of em, each one had their pros and cons, but mostly 90% pros for each gen.
    Few Pokemon have bad designs.

That's all.

シルバー

Γ Чεr ςcreαm is βut a drəαм х
    Years
    I personally want Generation 3 and 4 to burrnnnnn >.>
    I'm already hating our new 5th generation 'buddy.'

But I do have to say that Generation 1 was dull even if I favorite it and the 2nd generation. I guess I'm just hating the new and loving the old. Holding onto the best memories I have.
    Also mentioned though, all generations have pros and cons.
    I might hate 3 & 4 but there are a small amount of Pokemon that I actually like.

Back