• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which is better:Windows XP or Windows Vista?

XP or Vista?

• Total voters
    Years
    VIsta: Safe, but can't install crap without your computer flamming you about it.

XP: Little less safe, but more freedom.

That's how I see it, but my friend has Vista, and it's not too bad. But I love XP more. A little easier to navigate, and Vista is all but finished. They need to work out some stuff...

Years
    I have to go with Windows 95. It's over 9000 times faster than XP and Vista combined, and it came with Internet Explorer 3, the fastest, most secure browser ever made. :D

Srsly: I prefer XP, but that might just be because I'm used to it from using it for so long.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    VIsta: Safe, but can't install crap without your computer flamming you about it.

XP: Little less safe, but more freedom.

That's how I see it, but my friend has Vista, and it's not too bad. But I love XP more. A little easier to navigate, and Vista is all but finished. They need to work out some stuff...
    You realize UAC (hurr ur computer r flam,ing u SO RANDUM) can be disabled; right? Of course; why anybody in their right mind would do so is beyond me..

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years

It's there to PROTECT YOU. Like putting on a condom.

Exactly! What are you going to do when a really nasty trojan virus installs itself and you can't get rid of it? And you've got years and years of either precious memories, or documents that you wanted to save, or a term paper you need today but it's got because said virus deleted it? Guess who's fault it is then? I can guarantee it's not Microsoft's. It's the fool who disabled their UAC. Personally, I like it. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...and besides. XP already has a form of UAC on it, but people just fail to notice it.

Years
    Exactly! What are you going to do when a really nasty trojan virus installs itself and you can't get rid of it? And you've got years and years of either precious memories, or documents that you wanted to save, or a term paper you need today but it's got because said virus deleted it? Guess who's fault it is then? I can guarantee it's not Microsoft's. It's the fool who disabled their UAC. Personally, I like it. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy...and besides. XP already has a form of UAC on it, but people just fail to notice it.

:|

UAC is NOT an antivirus. There's Windows Defender for that, but you gotta pay for it anyway.

UAC is just a display of a warning message every time a program wants administrator access / access you do not have if on restricted accounts or guest.

An Antivirus / Internet Security does the same job but much faster. Reliability will change as per product though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    UAC isn't an Anti-Virus; but it makes your computer much more resistant and resilient to infection. Why? Because UAC is NOT "just a display of a warning messages". UAC runs as a separate user-account that cannot be compromised and requires you to AUTHENTICATE any action which requires hightened permissions. Any Virus that wants to add itself to your start-up? Needs to authenticate through UAC. Any malicious code that is opened from an email attachment? Needs UAC permission to proceed. UAC makes you magnitudes more secure. And it also trains you; as a user; to be more aware of the actions you're allowing. A/V products do not do the same job; they don't even come close.

Turning it off is irresponsible and most certainly a sign of a computer beginner who has never used a secure OS like Linux or Mac ~ which, by the way, both operate in the same manner to UAC except it's NOT optional.

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    I thought Vista would be winning here. =/
    Well yeah, i'd definitely choose Vista, and it is what i'm using now, i've seen XP, had a taste of it, and I really do prefer Vista's interface, and its more up to date in my opinion, although Windows 7 is supposedly better, I have seen Window 7, never used it though, and its actually pretty good if you ask me.

Zet

Years

UAC is NOT an antivirus. There's Windows Defender for that, but you gotta pay for it anyway.

UAC is just a display of a warning message every time a program wants administrator access / access you do not have if on restricted accounts or guest.

An Antivirus / Internet Security does the same job but much faster. Reliability will change as per product though.
    Windows Defender is free. You might wanna research first.

Also Sawaa, you run common sense 2009, why would you need UAC? ;o

Years

Windows Defender is free. You might wanna research first.

Also Sawaa, you run common sense 2009, why would you need UAC? ;o

:O oh yeah it is XD

No sorry I'm pretty sure it was payable before =.=

Also, as stated here,

Matthew said:
    The UAC is not just an inconvience for the user but also the software developer.

We have a software program that works great under Windows XP but because of the UAC, if it is installed on Vista, the automatic updater fails to update our software.

Ever try to tell an end user how to modify security on our application directory so the updater works? Let me tell you it is nearly impossible.

It has to be the worst thing that Microsoft ever invented.

And, here, is an article that has a quote from microsoft:

Homotron said:
    "The reason we put UAC into the platform was to annoy users. I'm serious," said [Microsoft's David] Cross.

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
    Years

And where in there did I say it was a form of antivirus protection? Perhaps you need to learn to read a bit better before making assumptions. It allows you to make an informed decision of what does and does not get installed on your computer, and if you didn't get that, then you really shouldn't be near a computer. ALSO, as stated by Shalon Rainsworth, Windows Defender is free. ~points to inability to read comment~ And I'm 1000% positive of this, as I work in a computer store and have been installing it onto customers computer for over a year now. Are you thinking of Windows Live One Care?

Do you seriously hang by every comment from the mouth of a Microsoft representative? Just...wow...don't trust everything you hear from them. Besides, how do you know what the context of the conversation was at that time? There is the VERY likely chance that he was being sarcastic. Today's youth... ~shudder~ :disappoin

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    I'm gonna go with Vista right now,considering that i'm using it. Now when I look at XP Computers I go "omgawd. i no like it."
    I'm use to Vista. :D

Jad

Pokemon And Megaman Fan
    Years
    depends
    mostly today pll use xp more than vista because xp was made during pc evolution so it is used more
    but i like the cool vista design

depends
    mostly today pll use xp more than vista because xp was made during pc evolution so it is used more
    but i like the cool vista design

Last edited:
    Years
    And where in there did I say it was a form of antivirus protection? Perhaps you need to learn to read a bit better before making assumptions. It allows you to make an informed decision of what does and does not get installed on your computer, and if you didn't get that, then you really shouldn't be near a computer. ALSO, as stated by Shalon_Rainsworth, Windows Defender is free. ~points to inability to read comment~ And I'm 1000% positive of this, as I work in a computer store and have been installing it onto customers computer for over a year now. Are you thinking of Windows Live One Care?

Do you seriously hang by every comment from the mouth of a Microsoft representative? Just...wow...don't trust everything you hear from them. Besides, how do you know what the context of the conversation was at that time? There is the VERY likely chance that he was being sarcastic. Today's youth... ~shudder~ :disappoin

Firstly, I'm going to adress your complete ignorance and incompetence with a few quotes and a mini speech.

You have stated that UAC can remove a trojan virus :|

That is utterly ridiculous and poposterous and heres a quick few words for you.

UAC PREVENTS the virus from running initially, but if you've let it run (as you've stated, "installs itself") then a) Its not installing itself, because you have let it install, and b) you're screwed unless you have antivirus. If that is what you believe, then you, and your 'computer store' will soon close down due to being ridiculously stupid and not knowing what which program does.

Dont just call me incompetent because I root for an operating system that is not given updates and was created 8 years ago.

"Hanging off" every comment off every representative of microsoft would cause me to buy vista and sit there all merrily paying for Live One Care and blaming my hardware for any software problem that fails through technical support.

UAC isn't an Anti-Virus; but it makes your computer much more resistant and resilient to infection. Why? Because UAC is NOT "just a display of a warning messages". UAC runs as a separate user-account that cannot be compromised and requires you to AUTHENTICATE any action which requires hightened permissions.

Someone that you joined just told you that UAC is not an antivirus. :/ That perfectly sums it all up.

y'know, following around the magnificient moderators and trying to please them whilst making other members with valid points get you anywhere. Especially when all you do is rephrase everyone's posts making them look like yours.

*shudder* today's dying aged.

So...your sources are...a blog...and a "nameless microsoft rep"?

Well here are two other sources (ZDNet and Techrepublic) which should be proof enough :/

here | here

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    ~Snip~
    Well here are two other sources (ZDNet and Techrepublic) which should be proof enough :/

here | here
    Not withstanding the fact that you've linked to *another* blog with the former; I'll agree with the latter link that the implementation of UAC *is* clumsy; even in Windows 7 ~ compared to the prompt in OSX for example. But the ethos behind it is still true; Windows users should NOT be running as elevated privileges in this day and age.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2009

Not withstanding the fact that you've linked to *another* blog with the former; I'll agree with the latter link that the implementation of UAC *is* clumsy; even in Windows 7 ~ compared to the prompt in OSX for example. But the ethos behind it is still true; Windows users should NOT be running as elevated privileges in this day and age.

UAC was designed as an elevated security measure, so its not really clumsy, its rather useful when you get a virus which tries to delete a file or tries to open a file. I do agree that it gets to be a pain in the arse once every blue moon, but it can be easily disabled.

Years

That can be left to the user to decide as a part of Windows Defender.

All antivirus run in the background scanning your computer, and processing your actions to make sure you are not stuffing up your computer.

And I personally would not use an administrator account for my general use as i have a seperate administrator account to do such 'administrator-ish' work :| I thought everyone did

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    UAC was designed as an elevated security measure, so its not really clumsy, its rather useful when you get a virus which tries to delete a file or tries to open a file. I do agree that it gets to be a pain in the arse once every blue moon, but it can be easily disabled.
    My whole point some posts up was this; that UAC is designed to protect the users. And the conclusion to this was that you should never disable it :)
    That can be left to the user to decide as a part of Windows Defender.

All antivirus run in the background scanning your computer, and processing your actions to make sure you are not stuffing up your computer.

And I personally would not use an administrator account for my general use as i have a seperate administrator account to do such 'administrator-ish' work :| I thought everyone did
    Windows Defender doesn't prevent the execution of code at an elevated level; nor does any AntiVirus. And ~ 95% of people still run Windows with an Administrator level account; you know full well that this is the case. You should also know that no Anti Virus will prevent end-user mistakes; which UAC can go a long way in doing. Again, A/V is not a replacement, alternative or second answer to UAC. You should run UAC regardless of any bloated Anti Virus, Personal Firewall or Adware Protection solution you have in place.

Back