• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which pokemon should you start with?

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2010
    Well the title says it all. Which Pokemon would you start with in Pokemon Platinum?
    Me personaly would start with Chimchar. Then I would abandun him for Typhlosion or Blaziken.

The Dragon Master Is Back

Go For It Gengar
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2009
    Piplup All The Way!
    Ill Never abandon him cause he'll evolve into a
    super strong Empoleon!
    >>>Trust Me Its A Strong Pokemon<<<
    But Not As Stong As Dragonite!

Years
  • There isn't one you SHOULD start with.
    It is down to personal preference.
    One isn't really worse than the other...

I normally go for the little fiery monkey.

Kaseo

Cursed Being
    Years
  • I chose Turtwig. It seems that he's the least popular of the 3, so that's actually a plus for me. And I like to go with the story. Diamond has Turtwig in the manga, Pearl has Chimchar and yeah

*~Fireheart~*

ready for action!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2012
    Depends on what Pokémon I'm in the mood for. First time was Turtwig, 2nd was Chimchar, and the 3rd time I chose Piplup.

Ayselipera

he'll evole into a strong grass/ground
    type.

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
  • I chose Turtwig. It seems that he's the least popular of the 3, so that's actually a plus for me. And I like to go with the story. Diamond has Turtwig in the manga, Pearl has Chimchar and yeah

I thought Turtwig was the most popular. Well, anyway, I chose Piplup and I'm not evolving it.

Alpha Bass

Scrap-Data™
    Years
  • Piplup of course! Heh, the water types always seem cool to me....excpet in johto...cydiquil was the best in johto....

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2013
    Either Piplup or Chimchar.

With Piplup, you can easily beat Roark's pokemon, but you'll have a hard time with some of the other gyms unless you can fully evolve it.

With Chimchar you'll have to evolve it before the fist gym, but then you'll be able to get through the others fairly easy.

Both are also pretty good for battling as well.

TFN

Blastiose fan XD
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    I always go for Piplup cause it evolves into Empoleoan who is one great pokemon

Gimmy

Rotommmmmmmmmmmmmmnomnom.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2009
    I'd choose Turtwig just for Torterra. I started with Chimchar this time though because I haven't picked him yet in the 1,000 times I've restarted. XD

Years
  • I chose Chimchar on Pearl and Piplup on Platinum....
    I think Piplup was the best choice 'cos it learned both surf and waterfall and evolved into Empoleon which is a really strong Pokemon
    but you shouldn't abandon your starter...

Back