• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which ROM to use?

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2019
    So I'm making my first game but I'm not sure whether to use FR/LG or R/S/E.

I Like how R/S/E has more variety of blocks to choose from but the graphics and some tiles in FR/LG look better. How do you decide which ROM to use?

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    I chose FireRed because the game itself is simpler and also because I got sick of seeing so much of Emerald, both in my own work (I'd been playing nothing but MC and Pokémon RSE for like 6 months, and started by hacking Emerald because that's what I had) and in everyone else's work (Most people pick Ruby or Emerald, usually Emerald because "muh battle animations" or something) and a lot of the stuff that's in one game that's not in another can be recreated pretty accurately with scripts or ASM - for example, in the first few weeks I spent learning about scripts, I made one which lets the player encounter Mew, which you can't actually get in FireRed. FireRed is also generally more popular (IDK why, probably because Genwunners are a virus) buteith the recent breakthroughs in the decomps many people are moving to Emerald. I still prefer binary hacking because there's more tools for it and you don't have to literally know an entire bloody coding language to do it. Essentially, it's all down to picking which game you like more, but I'd advise avoiding Sapphire and LeafGreen at all costs because there's basically 0 research done on them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I chose FireRed because the game itself is simpler and also because I got sick of seeing so much of Emerald, both in my own work (I'd been playing nothing but MC and Pokémon RSE for like 6 months, and started by hacking Emerald because that's what I had) and in everyone else's work (Most people pick Ruby or Emerald, usually Emerald because "muh battle animations" or something) and a lot of the stuff that's in one game that's not in another can be recreated pretty accurately with scripts or ASM - for example, in the first few weeks I spent learning about scripts, I made one which lets the player encounter Mew, which you can't actually get in FireRed. FireRed is also generally more popular (IDK why, probably because Genwunners are a virus) buteith the recent breakthroughs in the decomps many people are moving to Emerald. I still prefer binary hacking because there's more tools for it and you don't have to literally know an entire bloody coding language to do it. Essentially, it's all down to picking which game you like more, but I'd advise avoiding Sapphire and LeafGreen at all costs because there's basically 0 research done on them.
    Completely agree with this, Emerald or Firered depending on your preference. Only thing I'll add is that the further along the decomps go the more optimal they will be for hacking, especially as new tools are made for them.

Back