• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starting pokemon to choose?

Which starting pokemon to choose

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    I agree, although I had to rely on the rest of my team in most places, Torchic does end up being the strogest of all, he also teaches you to make balanced teams because he isn't exactly the best to use in the first half of the game =D

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    There is already a thread like this. Torchic coz when it is a Blaziken it is really powerful.

Skarmorylugia

The Skarmory-Obsessed Girl
    Years
    Torchic, because when it evolves into Combusken it becomes not only fire-type, but it also becomes fighting-type, which will help you in battling, especially the normal-type Pokemon. But also, there are some risks to evolving it. For one thing, it becomes weak to bird Pokemon, because fighting type is weak against flying type. And the fighting moves won't help much when you're fighting a ghost Pokemon, because they're along the same lines as normal moves.
    But other than that, Torchic is a good starter Pokemon to have. Why do I know this? I started with a Torchic! :)

Squarewalker

Have a nice day.
    Years
    Treecko isn't a very good choice cause it can't help you at the 3rd and 4th gyms and Sceptile won't have such good stats (except for speed =p).
    Torchic is a good choice but it will be a bit hard to train I guess, though it worths it because Blaziken is sure powerful.
    I think that Mudkip is the best choice. It is easy to train. It will help you in most gyms and the best is that it learns good moves and evolves into Swampert which has a very high attack stat :) .

mew_master

(don't)ignore paranthesees
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2005
    mudkip. it's good against the first, third (due to ground), and fourth. it's bad to no gym.

torchic is good against the first (due to fighting) and fifth due to fighting, however it's bad to the sixth, seventh, and eighth. mudkip is a lot better.

Bashaamo

Gimme some Tempura Udon
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 3, 2011
    You know what, we have different opinions. I chose torchic because I like fire types. We don't necessarily have to pick a pokemon that is good against all gyms. So I don't really care. I think torchic is good, one of the reasons is because it evolves into Combusken, and then Blaziken.

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
    well here's how it breaks down by gyms:
    Treecko - easiest against early gym leaders
    Mudkip - easiest against middle gym leaders
    Torchic - easiest against last gym leaders (excluding Wallace XD )

it doesn't matter as much, though, because they didn't make your rival hard enough. So don't base it on your rival.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    OK thanks for that. Now after the pole has closed i can start a new game with the pokemon that wins.

Back