• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Weavile?

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    OK, there are two Weasels... I mean Weaviles I'm gonna use.

Here's the Swords Dance Sweeper:

Weavile@Focus Sash
    Trait: Pressure
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 ATK/252 SPEED/4 HP

Swords Dance
    Night Slash
    Ice Punch
    Brick Break

Swords Dance First, then survive by 1 HP.

And Regular Sweeper Weasel... Dangit! Weavile:

Weavile@Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 ATK/252 SPEED/4 HP

Aerial Ace
    Night Slash
    Ice Punch
    Brick Beak

Ahhhh... just attack and attack.

~I'm looking for Opinions for which one is better for competetive
    ~I probably think Reg. Sweeper is better in case of a Steelix coming in and loosing Swords Dance boost, just looking for opinions though

Thx!

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    It depends a on the rest of your team, really. If the rest of your physical attackers need to set up, use the Life Orb set but if you already have a good physical sweeper that requires no time to set up, use the Swords Dance set.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Eh. I'm leaning towards Life Orb Set. since I'll run into some pokes with massive defense. Then I'll switch out and Swords Dance is ruined.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    It's like he said, you bring in weavile and get in that swords dance and the next thing you know you are against a skarmory or a bronzong.

Smarties-chan

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I personally don't like Swords Dance on Weavile, but thats what Focus Sash is for.
    Once your opponent's physical wall is out and Stealth Rock/Spikes are cleared, very few things will prevent Swords Dance Weavile from coming in and sweeping your whole team. I'd say Swords Dance Weavile is more of a late game sweeper, whereas the Life Orb set is better early in the game.
    It's like he said, you bring in weavile and get in that swords dance and the next thing you know you are against a skarmory or a bronzong.
    Which is why you take out your opponent's physical wall(s) before bringing in S-dance Weavile. And from Shoddybattle I know that a Weavile can (and will) two-hit KO Bronzong with Night Slash after one Swords Dance, while Focus Sash prevents it from fainting from Gyro Ball.

Smarties-chan

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    So he wouldn't need Focus Sash.
    Uh... what? Focus Sash is the sole reason Swords Dance Weavile works. =\ (unless you manage to scare a switch out of your opponent)

Ooka

Years
    Once your opponent's physical wall is out and Stealth Rock/Spikes are cleared, very few things will prevent Swords Dance Weavile from coming in and sweeping your whole team. I'd say Swords Dance Weavile is more of a late game sweeper, whereas the Life Orb set is better early in the game.

Which is why you take out your opponent's physical wall(s) before bringing in S-dance Weavile. And from Shoddybattle I know that a Weavile can (and will) two-hit KO Bronzong with Night Slash after one Swords Dance, while Focus Sash prevents it from fainting from Gyro Ball.

Unless the first turn they use gyro ball, don't die, switch out to a quick attack pokemon with a focus sash(Typhlosion comes to mind) and they still have a wall and you didn't take any of their pokemon out. In other words I am saying why would you even keep out a weavile against a bronzong.

Smarties-chan

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Unless the first turn they use gyro ball, don't die, switch out to a quick attack pokemon with a focus sash(Typhlosion comes to mind) and they still have a wall and you didn't take any of their pokemon out. In other words I am saying why would you even keep out a weavile against a bronzong.
    Maybe because your opponent actually has to switch in Bronzong before it can do anything to Weavile? Let's say your opponent just defeated your Pokémon with Garchomp and you send out Weavile. Garchomp switches out, you Swords Dance on the switch and use Night Slash possibly OHKOing Bronzong if you score a critical hit and two-hit KOing without a critical hit. And I doubt many people will like the idea of taking down Weavile for the price of around 70% of Bronzong's HP. And let's not forget that chances are Typhlosion (not that anyone uses it anyway) will get OHKOed or severely injured by Weavile when it switches in. A switch equals a free turn for Weavile to do whatever it pleases, which your opponent won't like.

Ooka

Years
    Maybe because your opponent actually has to switch in Bronzong before it can do anything to Weavile? Let's say your opponent just defeated your Pokémon with Garchomp and you send out Weavile. Garchomp switches out, you Swords Dance on the switch and use Night Slash possibly OHKOing Bronzong if you score a critical hit and two-hit KOing without a critical hit. And I doubt many people will like the idea of taking down Weavile for the price of around 70% of Bronzong's HP. And let's not forget that chances are Typhlosion (not that anyone uses it anyway) will get OHKOed or severely injured by Weavile when it switches in. A switch equals a free turn for Weavile to do whatever it pleases, which your opponent won't like.

I use a typhlosion, and that's why I said focus sash, you take one gyro ball with bronzong, switch into a night slash on your focus sash typhlosion and use quick attack(or any other quick attack pokemon)

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2007
    id say the second one, the first is a wast of an attack, you could just OHKO your opponent with the aerial ace as its fairly strong, but whatever you choose is up to you, do you go all out attack or do you use stratagies

Back