• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which would you consider the best out of Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum?

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
    At the moment, the only game I have is Heart Gold; so I'm thinking of buying one of the versions that I listed in my topic. Is Platinum different to the other two? Is one version better than the others? I'm a little bit clueless. Help is appreciated, thank you =]

Years
    Hey, I'd say Platinum is the better option if you wanna buy one of them. Because in my eyes it's a better story and you can catch all the legends.. Palkia, Dialga and Giratina. Also it's kinda just the same as Diamond or Pearl but more of a special edition if that makes sense :]

Alexeon

← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
    Years
    Yes, Platinum follows the same trend that Crystal and Emerald before it followed, which is that the third game in the series takes what the first two presented, and improved on it heavily. Aside from the higher availability of legendaries, there's also other added features, like Gym Leader rematches and Battle Frontier (which was only a Battle Tower in D/P). Not to mention the fact that Platinum made the environment of the world change by adding snow on the ground in various places, which also made the male and female protagonists change into winter-wear. o.o

I also want to point out something more technical. Platinum obviously has more features, but there's also an issue with how slow certain actions happen in Diamond/Pearl, especially in battle. If you're used to the speed of battles in HeartGold, you'll definitely notice a heavy lag in the battle speed of D/P. Platinum doesn't suffer from this, though. x_x

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
    Thanks for the help, I've decided to buy Platinum :3
    Darkrai is available in Platinum, right? Just checking, because I really like those =]

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
    Darkrai is still an event only in Platinum ( pretty sure anyway)
    but you can catch almost every other legendary

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    Aw, shame D:
    Is Celebi included too?
    You can't get Celebi in Platinum, it's another event Pokémon that you can only get in Crystal (then transfer to DPPt through Pal Park). You can get the legendary birds, which roam across Sinnoh along with Cresselia and Mesprit, but most other legendaries (bar Dialga/Palkia/Giratina/Heatran) require either an event or Pokémon from other games (the Regis) to unlock. You also can't get Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, the legendary beasts, Lati@s or Mewtwo in Platinum.

There's no doubt in my mind that Platinum is my favorite of the three, but I still enjoy Diamond and Pearl a lot. The slow-paced battles drive me absolutely insane in D/P though. The only thing you'll miss by getting Platinum instead of one of the other two is the few version exclusives, but you can easily get those from people here or through HG/SS.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Well I think everyone has already summed it up. Platinum is the continuation of D&P with added features: distortion world, can get both dialga & palkia, rebattle gyms, improved battle frontier/fight area, etc. Really I suggest you get Platinum (plus you get Giratina in sky form). D&P were good but there were some obvious things that needed to be improved.

XandY

PC's #1 Coldplay Fan!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2010
    Yep, you should get Platinum. Wasn't the whole point of Platinum to improve the quality and features of D/P anyways?

I sure wish Nintendo would not have event only pokemon in each game though, it's not fair if there's one opportunity to get a Pokemon, and it's all the way in Japan!!! O.O

MaikeruS

Umbreon
    Years
    Id say platinum, you can catch dialga, palkia, and giratina, And its the exact same story except a little different as diamond and pearl, but more of a special edition as the other person said

Years
    I was just wondering; does Platinum have all the pokemon between Diamond and Pearl? or does it have some of the exclusives from Diamond and some exclusives from Pearl?

Jack

ego
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2020
    Platinum is the best, why ?
    Platinum has a few more legendaries, and possibly more pokemon.
    In diamond, you can ONLY catch Dialga not palkia.
    Same goes for Pearl but they other way around.

Platinum includes both those legendaries from diamond and pearl and another one.

Archmaster

The Last Archmaster
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2010
    Platinum. More legendaries, and extra gameplay. (It has another dimension in it, cus of Giratina.)

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
    I would only get Diamond because of Stunky. I wish I had instead of pearl. But still go with plat. And if you need a skuntank or a glameow I can get you one. That is if you want to catch all the Pokemon.

cystar

Favorite Pokemon is Politoed
    Years
    Platinum its my fav game its sick good speed and great story

Back