• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who are your HM Slaves?

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Hahah that HAS to be Bibarel XD Though I never really use a HM slave for surf, since it's a good move anyway.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    The classic one: Bibarel, My first ever HM slave.
    The current one: Braviary fly, cut, strength.
    and Bascullin: Cut, Surf, Waterfall and Dive

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2012
    I usually make my favourites HM Slaves seeing as they can be powerful attacks as well as useful tools outside of battling. In Sapphire I have Swampert and Tropius, in LeafGreen I have Blastoise and Zapdos, and in Pearl I have Luiga.

Nijiri

Manectric Fangirl.
    Years
  • In Pokemon Ruby, I'd use my main team (a long time ago) until I found out about using HM Slaves. I mostly use Zigzagoon to do my HM chores now (I never knew it could learn Surf either!). In the Pokemon Diamond, I use Bibarel. In Pokemon White... Well, I used my main team again for HMs (since I don't know what Pokemon I should use as an HM Slave). I'm still frustrated how they kept the "you can't delete hidden moves" part, though (sorry if that was off-topic a bit).

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • FRLG- I distribute Fly and Surf around my team, and a random dude for Strength and Rock Smash.
    HGSS- Some random dude from my box. Srsly.
    RSE- zigzagoon mostly. I use Swampert for Surf and Strength.
    DPPt- Bibarel for the win!
    BW- Srsly? none. no HM is need to complete the game, except for a single cut.

Years
  • I usually use a Water-type for all the Water moves, particularly in the Johto games when over half the HMs are water-related. Other than that, I try to liven up my party without shameless HM slaves. The only exceptions I can think of are the Nuzleaf in my old Emerald file (Cut, Rock Smash, and a couple others I don't remember) and a couple Geodudes I've had (they're typically about the only Pokemon you can get early in the game who can learn Strength).

One time while battling someone, he brought out a Smeargle that was obviously an HM slave, whom I guess he forgot to take out of his party. Really? A Smeargle? I mean, it works, but...

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    I always use Furret as my HM Slave. If the game doesn't have Furret until after national dex, then I trade one over. I use Furret because it can Surf, Roch Smash, Strength, and Cut. :P

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    the only HMs i use for slaves are the weak ones, (Rocksmash/Flash etc.)
    FR - Onix
    Emmy - Sharpedo / Tropius
    SoulSilver - Furret
    Platinum - Bidoof evos
    White - Sasmesage (idk)

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
  • I don't have HM slaves on purpose, I just end up eventually with Pokemon that know Strength, Cut, Rock Climb, and Fly (lol I don't really have a pokemon that knows all those)

In Gen III I have a Gyarados with the water-based HMs (except Dive, my Marshstomp knows that), and a Vigoroth for, well, the rest. I also have a Farfetch'd on my LG that knows Fly and Cut. Gen IV had the Shiny Gyarados, plus eventually my Feraligatr. My Darmanitan served as my manual laborer in Gen V, while my Stoutland Surfed me wherever I needed to go.

SuperKirbyFan

Weedle trainer
    Years
  • Well on my current file (points to sig), I'm using
    Skarmory - Flash, Fly
    Totodile - Surf, Cut, Whirlpool, Waterfall
    Geodude - Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I usually use a first Route Pokemon because a lot of them can learn Cut or something and also maybe Strength or Rock Smash. For the water HM's, I catch a Gyarados or a Tentacruel, depending on the game.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    In SS I use red gyarados for all the water ones, Graveler for all the rock/strength ones. Togekiss which is my main poke has fly, and a weepingbell has cut.

In black Semipour is the water slave, and the rest are scattered.

SS has way more hm requirements. So many water ones and rock ones in order to explore properly.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • My Favorite HM Slave was a Biberel named Gay Gene. Because Gay Gene's Strength made it possible to push boulders!!!

Yes, it is completely juvenile.

Beefinator

┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2012
    On my Ruby version, I had a Tropius and a Walord as my HM Slaves. My Tropius had Cut, Fly, Flash, Strength while my Wailord had Surf, Waterfall, Dive, Strength.
    In Firered, I only had 1 HM slave with only 2 HM moves. I used an Oddish because it could learn Cut and Flash. The other HM moves were actually part of my Pokemon's movesets.

Silence Rewritten

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • My HM slaves are just useless, I never bother with training. Usually I use the first catchable Pokémon. Currently in Platinum, I'm using a Bidoof. In Sapphire I always use Zigzagoon. I normally just teach them Cut, Rock Smash, Strength, and Flash or Rock Climb. I always teach Fly and Surf to my main Pokés, though. ^^

Back