• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Who's your "HM Slave" In Ruby and Sapphire?

Expada

"Certified" Breeder
Years
  • I just decided to get back into Pokemon, and since I lost my cartridge, and my DS got stolen (tragic stuff) a couple years back. I decided now to boot up some roms of Sapphire, and Pearl, I'm playing through Sapphire, and I was wondering what Pokemon you like to use to pile all of your HM moves on. I'm thinking Linoone for this play through.

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
    Years
  • i used zigzagoon it was also good for randomly finding Rare Candies with its Pick up Ability

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I used Sharpedo and Tropius. Sharpedo can learn Surf,Waterfall,Dive,Strength and Tropius can learn Flash,Cut,Fly and Rock smash! So they were perfect HM Slaves for me.(Early in the game I used zigzagoon).:D

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 14, 2009
    I use Swampert because it can learn surf, waterfall, dive, and rock smash. Even though all its moves are HM, it still is a very reliable pokemon in battle.

Tyranitar.

The Reborn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2012
    I used Zizagoon and Linoone for HM slaves. xD They could learn Surf,Cut,Rocksmash and some other ones. Didn't want to teach HMs to my battle team lol. And for Dive and Waterfall I think I used Swampert..

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
  • I just started a new game on Sapphire a few days ago so at the moment, Skitty is the unfortunate little blighter. How it can learn Flash will forever be a mystery...

Unless it swiped a torch somewhere along my travels.

*Nayz*

a.k.a L_Judah
    Years
  • I used zigzagoon early in the game and then used Tentacool and Tropius since all HMs can be learned between the two of them.

Years
  • Linoone can learn a lot of HM moves and also has a very useful pickup ability. However, Tropius is probably the best HM slave because it learns Cut, Fly, Strength, Rock Smash, and Flash (all the non-water HMs). Azumarill can learn the 3 water HMs (Waterfall, Surf, Dive), Rock Smash, and Strength. Having those 2 pokemon is enough to navigate through the game. I usually don't have an HM slave. I generally spread out my HMs among a few pokemon. I've never had a pokemon with only HM moves. I don't like having a pokemon on my team with a severely limited move set.

I remember that I once taught my Hariyama to Surf because I didn't have any water pokemon. I thought it was a little funny how an obese fighter is able to Surf.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2015
    Zigzagoon and Electrike... I don't think I ever trained my Electrike at all, I just used it for HM's.

Years
  • I've only used "HM slaves" a couple times in various pkmn. games. But the one I did (Emerald) I used, of course, Zigzagoon. :D I don't like using "HM Slaves" so normally I teach my regular pokemon: Cut, surf, fly and strength. I find another pokemon to use: Dive, rocks smash (and later) rock climb and defog.

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2013
    i used kecleon, lol. (nincada and gulpin earlier for flash, cut, strength and rock smash)

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    I actually found out recently that Absol makes an awesome HM slave... it learns Cut, Flash, Rock Smash, and Strength...

I also use Wailmer for Dive and Waterfall... and I throw Rock Smash and Strength onto it too when I have to go underwater to the underwater cavern thing

Years
  • Zigzagoon/Linoone, because it can learn most of the HM moves that I wouldn't want to teach to my main team (i.e. anything but Surf, Strength, and Waterfall) and because its Pickup ability gives it another use.

Back