• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are pokemon movies no longer popular in North American cinemas

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    The Pokemon movies are still shown in Japan and attract many viewers, but not in North America anymore. Pokemon the first movie was very popular, so was Pokemon the movie 2000, but after Pokemon Heroes (which box office bombed in the USA), the movies were dubbed and released direct DVD or TV.

What has made Pokemon movies so unpopular in cinemas outside Japan?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I think its more anime hasn't been too popular in America or at least in the theaters the last couple years. I can't remember the last time I actually saw an anime movie shown in theaters probably the last I remember if Cowboy Bebop Knockin on Heavens Door and that was a decade ago. Back when Mewtwo Strikes Back and Power of One pokemon seemed to be more popular across board cause it was new. Now it seems like that popularity over here waived a little in terms of movies/anime and other things like TCG. As too why it would be popular in Japan still today is because it originated over there.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    The most likely reason is the Pokemon anime is not as popular in the US and Canada as it used to be and that it would be financial suicide for Pokemon movies to have a theatrical release because ticket sales would not be that great. Its popularity has been declining since mid Johto and really started to decline faster in Advanced Generation. Releasing any in theaters now would be a very bad idea with very little return.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I figured it was because at the time that they released the first two movies in theaters, the entire world was sucked into the Pokemon phenomenon, and that really only lasted in it's full force from late 1998 to 2001. In 2001 people started to get over it, and while it still has millions of fans, the entire world isn't completely obsessed anymore, and thus it's anime (which is less popular than the games, now days) isn't something that can cause a box office boom anymore. :/ At least not the type that will earn them millions and millions of dollars. They probably figure it would be a waste to try.

Granted, I think that if a Pokemon movie were to release in theaters now days, it would do pretty well. Especially if they treat it like they do with other anime movies, or the Yugioh films, and release it for a very limited time.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    For a few years now, there have only been three Cinema Bangers in American: Thrillers, 3D films, and Crapish Comedies

And Pokemon is anime, which is not exactly popular in America. So unless a way can be figured out to make a Pokemon film that is in 3D, exciting, and good, not much shall come out of a cinema release.

No one else crossing fingers for a 3D release?

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
  • As other has stated, the Pokemon crazed has died down from what it was over a decade ago. A lot of people where into anything Pokemon in the late 90's, which is why the first movie was very popular. In Japan, the craze for Pokemon is still there, which is why they are still able to have movie releases.
    I think they should at least have limited releases in certain cities, here in the States, though.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    I wonder how well a Pokemon Best Wishes film would do, so far from what I heard its been doing great in Japan and US.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • The most likely reason is the Pokemon anime is not as popular in the US and Canada as it used to be and that it would be financial suicide for Pokemon movies to have a theatrical release because ticket sales would not be that great. Its popularity has been declining since mid Johto and really started to decline faster in Advanced Generation. Releasing any in theaters now would be a very bad idea with very little return.

Essentially this.

Cinema tickets and receipts as a whole are decaying which is worrying film studios. More people are turning towards online streaming via the internet and online piracy for their entertainment. Pokemon just doesn't have the broad appeal to be a financial sucess in this current climate.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The economics of film releasing require either a) a LOAD of money to be put up at the forefront in order to get individual cinemas to agree to show the films in the first place or b) an EXPECTATION on the part of the cinema owners that they'll get their load of money due to the film being so popular. As has been mentioned above, Pokemon isn't as popular as it used to be, and the anime companies (and the company that dubs them) won't find it economically feasible to punt up the money required for situation a) to take effect.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    The economics of film releasing require either a) a LOAD of money to be put up at the forefront in order to get individual cinemas to agree to show the films in the first place or b) an EXPECTATION on the part of the cinema owners that they'll get their load of money due to the film being so popular. As has been mentioned above, Pokemon isn't as popular as it used to be, and the anime companies (and the company that dubs them) won't find it economically feasible to punt up the money required for situation a) to take effect.

I see. And it seems that the Pokemon craze (outside Japan) has died down from what it was like in the past.

WriteThemWrong

LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice
    Years
  • It's probably when they stopped giving away cards for the movies. That's why I went.

I guess parents just got tired of paying for something that they could get for free at home.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I don't know why they couldn't release it in select cinemas for a short period of time, at least >_> The Yugioh 10th anniversary movie got that >__> I suppose most people will get to see it faster by it being shown straight on TV, at least.

Crystalized

Waiting For RSE Remake
    Years
  • They aren't even shown in Australian cinema's, so yeah. But I wouldn't go there anyway because I don't watch the anime (maybe once every 3 months) and all the recent movies haven't been worth seeing. (in my opinion)

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • It depresses me that this is no longer the late 90s. I love Pokemon so much and I would love the rest of the world to love it as though we were all kids again, just like I do. But yeah, the craze is gone. Pokemon will never be over, but the initial frenzy won't return.

Guest123_x1

I figured it was because at the time that they released the first two movies in theaters, the entire world was sucked into the Pokemon phenomenon, and that really only lasted in it's full force from late 1998 to 2001. In 2001 people started to get over it, and while it still has millions of fans, the entire world isn't completely obsessed anymore, and thus it's anime (which is less popular than the games, now days) isn't something that can cause a box office boom anymore. :/ At least not the type that will earn them millions and millions of dollars. They probably figure it would be a waste to try.

Granted, I think that if a Pokemon movie were to release in theaters now days, it would do pretty well. Especially if they treat it like they do with other anime movies, or the Yugioh films, and release it for a very limited time.
    Like others have been saying here, the craze has died down quite a bit since circa 2000-2001. However, I remember the craze being at its peak towards the very beginning (1998-99), and that was all a lot of youngsters of the time talked about. This continued well into 2000 and perhaps 2001.
    Then all of a sudden, the craze and hype decreased significantly after 9-11, and we hear about it less and less ever since.
    This might explain why the fourth and fifth movies were given very limited theatrical releases in North America.

As a side note, I remember Pokémon The First Movie being hyped to no end when it was released to American theaters, then later Toy Story 2 was released and went head to head against it. Pokémon The First Movie briefly held the record for opening gross of an animated movie, only to be shattered two weeks later by Toy Story 2. I remember when going to the theater to see Toy Story 2, there was a long line to get in and I thought it was for the Pokémon movie, since it was hyped so much at the time.

As for:
    And Pokemon is anime, which is not exactly popular in America.
    I remember around the time the Pokémon craze was really hot, there were several dubbed anime shows on broadcast TV here in the US, (e.g. Sailor Moon, DragonBall Z) usually syndicated to local stations (which were mostly FOX, UPN, or WB affiliates or independents, usually on the UHF dial (channels 14-69 at the time, 52 and above were removed due to the DTV transition in 2009, and the dial used to go up to channel 83, but channels 70 and above were removed back in the early 80s).

Back