• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are you always Ten?

Inferno-Ape

Nope.avi
    Years
    Ya'know, I've been playing Pokemon, and I guess i've never noticed, but Your character is ten years old in every game. I DON'T like that. I mean come on! They should at least let us put our age.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Does it explicitly say 10 every time? o_O I don't remember it ever specifying age except for in the anime. Regardless, the characters always look 15ish instead so just pretend they're older anyway. :p

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
    In-game the ages definitely aren't ever specified.

Besides, you're just a bunch of pixels onscreen. You can't really tell the age of anyone.

Falcon Wing

PokeMafia Member "Weavile"
    Years
    I always wonder how old Ash is now. Is he still 10?

As for the Games, I would say Dawn was ten based on the Anime. But everyone else all looks teenage to me.

Camisado

a therapeutic chain of events
    Years
    Someone get us a screenshot of where it tells you your age in the games. I'm sure it's just a canon fact from the anime.

Mew Ichigo

Akatsuki Fan
    Years
    Its a game, they dont age. I mean come on, Ash should be like 18 now. (Though his new voice sounds like hes just reached puberty...)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    In the intruction manual for Red/Ble, Red is said to be 10. For every other playable character, it's hard to determine...they seem to be getting older every generation though. :P

Casey333

~Johto Trainer~
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Jan 10, 2018
    I always thought they were about 11 or 12. I always wondered how Brock was a teenager but he looks and sounds like an adult.

Years
    Once you turn eleven, puberty strikes. And the enemy team loses the right to call you a brat.

Also: No "melons" = no inappropriate in-game dialogue

Be grateful that the "heroes" of Pokemon games have yet to be fat, LOL.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    In the intruction manual for Red/Ble, Red is said to be 10. For every other playable character, it's hard to determine...they seem to be getting older every generation though. :P
    I was going to mention that. I still have that manual, though not sure what the other manuals say.

I believe it just says "You just turned 10 and are about to get your Pokemon license..." So it's probably dependent per local and regional law, and differs as do laws between states, and even more so could depend on your parents choosing to keep you until you're 13, 15, or even 17. So Red may be the youngest player character, though the Jr. Trainers and Poke Kids are clearly young, though maybe those are just their pets that they're training and they aren't really legal trainers?

Years
    It's like Neverland in the movie, Peter Pan. You never age when you're a cartoon. Most pokemon trainers start their journey at age 10. That's probably why. It never specified age in the game I don't think. However, in Pokemon Chronicles, the characters Jimmy and Marina are older. (Don't remember how old, though.)

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    Supposedly Wes from Colosseum is the oldest - he's designed to be about 17.

Inferno-Ape

Nope.avi
    Years
    Well why I'm saying Your Ten is becuase Ten is the age that your supposed to be able to have your first pokemon Right? And Prof. Oak or rowan or whatever is always saying"Your grand adventure is about to start!" SO that's were I got the idea. Also How come Fantina's gym in Diamond has 4th Grade level Math? I was ten when I was in 4th grade.

Rinku

Is back for "REVENGENCE."
    Years
    Well one thing we know, Ash is not 10 anymore.....have you HEARD his new voice? Ever since Pokemon Battle Frontier, I've been questioning his manlihood... Back to what the thread is about: The main character is supposed to be young, and never over the age of 20 (at least as I've seen so far) It's all supposed to follow the same plot, start your Pokemon adventure at the age you get your "license", which is (as given by the anime) 10. The main characters do, most of the time look 10. Other than the females, that is. And Gary (Green) doesn't look 10 to me, neither do Ruby or whoever the male character will be named in D/P, and that's as far as the boys go.

Back