• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why can't I..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCharlie

Programmer of DarkDust
Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    So why do I go to a project thread and see these spectacular projects, tiles, maps, etc etc. When I go to load a tile set &/or make my own, it looks like crap. D:

Long story short, can anyone teach me &/or give me tips? :}

Would appreciate. :o

([email protected])

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    If you'll notice, most of those project have teams, with members doing specific parts. You can't expect much from a one man project, since most people don't have that diverse of a skillset. Also, most of it takes practice. When I first got the kit I more or less messed around seeing what I could do, and thought it wasn't bad until I looked at it much later after having more experience, and realized how awful I was. Your best bet is to focus on one skill in particular, and maybe dabble in others, if you want to make anything noteworthy. Having a team helps too, since they can give you constructive feedback and ideas. As far as teaching goes, it's not something easily done with something like this, especially online. The best way to learn is to try different things, or reverse engineer things that are already there until you get the feel for it.

iCharlie

Programmer of DarkDust
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    If you'll notice, most of those project have teams, with members doing specific parts. You can't expect much from a one man project, since most people don't have that diverse of a skillset. Also, most of it takes practice. When I first got the kit I more or less messed around seeing what I could do, and thought it wasn't bad until I looked at it much later after having more experience, and realized how awful I was. Your best bet is to focus on one skill in particular, and maybe dabble in others, if you want to make anything noteworthy. Having a team helps too, since they can give you constructive feedback and ideas. As far as teaching goes, it's not something easily done with something like this, especially online. The best way to learn is to try different things, or reverse engineer things that are already there until you get the feel for it.

That is some useful information. Thanks. ;) I guess I should practice more & learn from experience. The same way I learnt Java. xD

Thanks, I will definitely work on my 'skills' (Not just one, I dislike working in teams).

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • That is some useful information. Thanks. ;) I guess I should practice more & learn from experience. The same way I learnt Java. xD

Thanks, I will definitely work on my 'skills' (Not just one, I dislike working in teams).

That makes things tremendously more difficult. If you notice, most professional games and software are made using teams nowadays. And why is that? Because it is shitloads more efficient than one guy working at his computer.

iCharlie

Programmer of DarkDust
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    That makes things tremendously more difficult. If you notice, most professional games and software are made using teams nowadays. And why is that? Because it is shitloads more efficient than one guy working at his computer.

True.. Well I suppose I 'could' work as a team, but I still want to develop global skills. In Java (Scripting) you can't work as a team without knowing everything at least a little bit. So I'll do the same here, but instead of a little bit, I'll try to actually get some good knowledge of everything.

On another note; If anyone wants to help/team up with me with my project, they are most welcome to do so.

([email protected]) <-- MSN

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Why can't I..?
    Why can't I..?

Anyway, your game is the effort you put into it.If your game looks terrible, put forth the extra effort to make it look better. It's all you, buddy.
    If you don't know how to script, learn. Just a little knowledge can go a long way if you use it right.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • i need help with this too

If you read one of the earlier posts, you would've seen this:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back