• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Why did it take so long for Nintendo to do this?

キラキラ

KiraKira
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2011
    Not the remaking of Johto, but the features of HG/SS.
    The touch screen controls, Pokemon following behind the player, actual pictures of roaming Pokemon on the map... that kind of stuff.

I think we should have seen a lot of these earlier. This is by far going to be the greatest game of the series so far.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Not the remaking of Johto, but the features of HG/SS.
    The touch screen controls, Pokemon following behind the player, actual pictures of roaming Pokemon on the map... that kind of stuff.

I think we should have seen a lot of these earlier. This is by far going to be the greatest game of the series so far.
    Yeah! I agree completely with you. It could have been implemented earlier too.

BTW HG/SS are gonna ROCK!!

Years
    Because they wanted to add something to make the remakes special like the way they do with a new game. If they had these features with DPPt, we might not have appreciated seeing them again in this game. I'm happy they waited to do this for this game. This is my favorite region. I'm happy they've given Johto the recognition it deserves.

derozio

Years
    Because they wanted to add something to make the remakes special like the way they do with a new game. If they had these features with DPPt, we might not have appreciated seeing them again in this game. I'm happy they waited to do this for this game. This is my favorite region. I'm happy they've given Johto the recognition it deserves.

Yeah. Maybe your reason is completely logical. I too am happy about it!

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
    I would assume that they saved these features to make each game they release better than the last. I'm sure they've got hundreds more ideas they could implement or change existing ones, so that if they want to release any more new games, they still have something to fall back on.

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    i think they always new that they would make HG SS and they new it would be there biggest yet but if it comes with new features and more stuff and they make is seem really cool more people will buy it and they will sell even more copies i think it is all just marketing they are just thinking of the best way to get money

Obsession

Narcotic Empress
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    I'm not sure, but I think Nintendo pushed the right buttons this time. I have a funny feeling Soul Silver is gonna be my main game <3

Imagine the epicness of a pokemon of your choice following you. I loved Pokemon Yellow, but this, seriously is a new level in terms of sheer epicness.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    First of all Nintendo did not decide to finally put the features in this game but gamefreak. Nintendo is only the developers. The only part they play is getting the games out and deciding if they want more games. Gamefreak plays most of the part.
    Second they are doing this most likely to push the boundaries. If all of these features are made to be strong and make the game better then it is likely they will be implemented in future games as to make things a bit better.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    Well, they probably couldn't do it on GB/GBC, and they didn't trust the GBA to handle it, or they were too lazy.
    I understand them for not doing it on DPPt, those were the first real-regular-Pokemon-quest-games for the console, so they didn't want to exaggerate...it's like how the Distortion world only appeared at Platinum.

And yeah, I say and think about it a lot over - HGSS will be the best Pokemon games so far, IMO.

Sapphire the Totodile

Totodile EAATSS!!!!! pie
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2009
    yea game freak is the company that makes the games but nintendo(gamefreak) should of done this before

Years
    Not sure. It seems like it would have been much better for marketing and such to have included these features in the other DS games, and especially Platinum.

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
    Maybe with D/P/Pt, they were testing out the DS's capabilities and maybe they had this remake idea in mind since FR/LG, as in they had already planned to develop it for DS around the time of the G/S's 10th birthday?

Meh, that's just my view on it. At least they're making them now, and I'm happy with that.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Maybe with D/P/Pt, they were testing out the DS's capabilities and maybe they had this remake idea in mind since FR/LG, as in they had already planned to develop it for DS around the time of the G/S's 10th birthday?

Meh, that's just my view on it. At least they're making them now, and I'm happy with that.

I thought they started making HGSS when DP were released?

But anyway, I agree with the general consensus that they needed to test the DS's capabiblities with DPPt and that they had more time to develop more features this time around.

derozio

Years
    Wrong. GameFreak alone are the development team behind the games, while Nintendo supplies the development kits and probably also contracted GameFreak to develop and Nintendo publish. The contract would be how you'll never see Pokémon on a non-Nintendo console, of course. But you're right at how Nintendo calls the shots as to publishing; they decide the pricing, too.

You all have to remember that Diamond/Pearl was a "first venture" out of the box for them. Not only would they spend development time with 3D, but they will have needed to develop a touch-screen interface for the first time. So, they'd have to find the best way to handle all that.

Pokémon roaming on the map could've been easily done, but wouldn't it be even more mysterious if you DIDN'T know what special Pokémon was lurking around? And the thing with Pokémon following around is that it requires someone to actually sit down and design every single Pokémon by hand. Not everyone has the time and money to bother with that… until now. If HeartGold/SoulSilver really was worked on for a few years, their headstart (since the games are REMAKES - the game's been laid out for them for a long time) means that they can spend more time implementing what they please. Get that?

More often than not, it's about development time more than anything. GameFreak works on more than just Pokémon, after all.

Wow! Hiroshi always seems to post something logical! lol ;)
    I agree that they were able to bring this many features in HG/SS coz they invested a lot of time and hard work in it.

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
    I believe they had to find more advance coders or have more testing with having all 493 Pokemon following you via 3D graphics. I could be wrong though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2012
    I'm sure they've had these ideas - as well as many more - in their heads for quite some time, but they ended up choosing other things to implement instead. This could be for a variety of reasons - such as the difficulty of implementing a feature relative to other features that they chose to develop instead, or an unwillingness to drastically change the franchise. Perhaps something such as seeing wild Pokemon roam really isn't that great in practice, even though it sounds great.

And they have to save features to add to the next game -- after 5th Gen comes out, we'll be asking "Why didn't they put in X, Y, and Z before?" They don't want to add in too many drastic changes, or they risk overwhelming their buyers and perhaps losing some of their audience as a result.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
    They wanted to make it perfect for us, of course...

But I agree with what Hiroshi said, it is mainly due to development time and stuff.

POKéMIKE1

AKA meejle
    Years
    I believe they had to find more advance coders or have more testing with having all 493 Pokemon following you via 3D graphics. I could be wrong though.

The following Pokémon (as well as all the people in the game, and some of the scenery) aren't 3D, they're 2D sprites on a 3D surface as far as I know. Which is why the graphics are referred to as "2.5D". :)

But still, you're right about it being a lot of work to create up, down, left, and right sprites for all 493 Pokémon. I guess that's why it was restricted to "cute" Pokémon in DPPt.

Back