• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Do Most People Hate Ash?

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2023
    I don't hate him, just some of the arrogance and naivety he showed during some of his early days..

StyxFTW

Be reckless
    Years
  • Everyone has their own opinions. But still, I don't understand why people hate the poor ten year old so much. I mean his voice is REALLY annoying but other than that I think he's cool. If he was real I would be his friend. I also like how he respects his Pokemon and doesn't want them to evolve if they don't want to. They should really make something like that in the games, like you'd know if your Pokemon want's to evolve or not.

Evee dude86

Veteran Trainer
    Years
  • The many GOOD/VALID reasons Ash sucks:

-HE'S STILL 10!
    -HE CRIES @ ALMOST EVERYTHING!
    -His dumb ass TAKES ALL HIS STRONGEST PKMN (CHARIZARD, PIGEOT, LAPRAS) AND GIVES EM AWAY!
    -He too arrogant
    -Lord I cud go on....

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
    Years
  • Ash : "Pikachu Dodge!, now!, Dodge!"
    Ash : "Go, go away my Pokémon!"

This tells that Ash uses "dodge" every time..., He released MOST of his Pokés
    Another thing, his voice in my language is cute.. <3

chikorita125

^ ment to be Happy Azumarill
    Years
  • he's really annoying, cries everytime team rocket takes pikachu, and i just really hate him. Dawns a beter trainer

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Evee dude86 said:
    -His dumb ass TAKES ALL HIS STRONGEST PKMN (CHARIZARD, PIGEOT, LAPRAS) AND GIVES EM AWAY!

He can call back most of his Pokémon, including Charizard, when he needs them.

Zenith95s said:
    This tells that Ash uses "dodge" every time..., He released MOST of his Pokés

He still has most of his Pokémon. The only Pokémon he gave away were Lapras, Haunter, Gliscor, Primeape, and Butterfree that I can remember at the moment.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
  • He can call back most of his Pokémon, including Charizard, when he needs them.

I believe it's more of a symbolic thing to actually own something. Rather then "lending" them to someone and simply forgetting they ever existed in subsequent episodes. I mean Ash STILL catches first evolution Pokemon. Rather then going to a new region with powerful Pokemon, and then catching the land's 2nd or 3rd evolution Pokemon. He just goes with Pikachu and catches a few first generation ones.

A real, intelligent trainer wud never give his Pkmn away in the 1st place....

I thought we already confirmed Ash's lack of intelligence. However he does have a very large amount of empathy. Which is probably why he gives them away to people, it's a lesson Nintendo really likes to reuse.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2012
    I hate him for various reasons. Among them, releasing like EVERY pokemon and almost never making an attempt to catch a legendary, if not never. I'm siding with never. He even tried releasing Pikachu on like episode 36.

Evee dude86

Veteran Trainer
    Years

• I believe it's more of a symbolic thing to actually own something. Rather then "lending" them to someone and simply forgetting they ever existed in subsequent episodes. I mean Ash STILL catches first evolution Pokemon. Rather then going to a new region with powerful Pokemon, and then catching the land's 2nd or 3rd evolution Pokemon. He just goes with Pikachu and catches a few first generation ones.

I thought we already confirmed Ash's lack of intelligence. However he does have a very large amount of empathy. Which is probably why he gives them away to people, it's a lesson Nintendo really likes to reuse.

LOL we did, I jus had 2 reprove it.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Evee dude86 said:
    A real, intelligent trainer wud never give his Pkmn away in the 1st place....

The animé pushes the idea that a real trainer puts their Pokémon first which is what Ash does.

Scales said:
    I believe it's more of a symbolic thing to actually own something. Rather then "lending" them to someone and simply forgetting they ever existed in subsequent episodes.

He still owns the Pokémon and uses them when he needs them.

I mean Ash STILL catches first evolution Pokemon. Rather then going to a new region with powerful Pokemon, and then catching the land's 2nd or 3rd evolution Pokemon. He just goes with Pikachu and catches a few first generation ones.

The writers just want push the new Pokémon. It wouldn't work as well if he caught Pokémon that were one stage away from evolution or already fully evolved with Pokgmon from the previous generation.

Evee dude86 said:
    LOL we did, I jus had 2 reprove it.

Didn't do a good job at that.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
  • Not really a big fan of Ash since he never seems to follow pokemon rules. I mean, electric vs electric? He seems to use type disadvantages a lot, yet often wins. For some reason, that always annoyed me.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Not really a big fan of Ash since he never seems to follow pokemon rules. I mean, electric vs electric? He seems to use type disadvantages a lot, yet often wins. For some reason, that always annoyed me.

That is always the first thing I think about when I think of Ash and why I dislike him. I'm tired of him always beating these pretty cool, some powerful Pokemon with one freaking thunderbolt. Like in the beginning of the first movie he took on this trainer with three Pokemon (a Golem was in the three) and he used one huge thunderbolt and nailed all of them in the first try, even the Golem.
    I like to watch the main character actually have SOME struggles, not win every single round, or be able to predict episodes before it happens, 'Hey, Ash is going to win this, don't even try it.' I mean, if you miss out on an episode, the answer is always the same anyway.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Not really a big fan of Ash since he never seems to follow pokemon rules. I mean, electric vs electric? He seems to use type disadvantages a lot, yet often wins. For some reason, that always annoyed me.

There is more to Pokemon battles than the typing of moves or Pokemon.

That is always the first thing I think about when I think of Ash and why I dislike him. I'm tired of him always beating these pretty cool, some powerful Pokemon with one freaking thunderbolt. Like in the beginning of the first movie he took on this trainer with three Pokemon (a Golem was in the three) and he used one huge thunderbolt and nailed all of them in the first try, even the Golem.

I like how many Ash haters have to go back OVER A DECADE to dig this electric on a ground type thing up, and justify how they hate Ash for it.

First off, the game mechanics, especially when it comes to the physical moves vs special moves, status affects, typing and immunities, etc... are not necessarily the same as the anime, and yes, they may even change from episode to episode. But they've gotten a lot better at recognizing abilities, physical vs special, etc... and I don't reember the last time a ground type was hurt by an electric attack. Recently, in one of Gible's episodes, it was even pointed out.

[quote[I like to watch the main character actually have SOME struggles, not win every single round, or be able to predict episodes before it happens, 'Hey, Ash is going to win this, don't even try it.' I mean, if you miss out on an episode, the answer is always the same anyway.
    [/QUOTE]

Ash doesn't always win. Have you ever watched the anime before?

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • In short, this.

I actually do like Ash as a character. He shows good morals for those who are young and watch the show. Even when things are looking down in his favor, he still gives it his all - more now, than back before in the original. He's not a terrible character, he's just naive with his own given personality. It's what makes him, him in the show. A naive, growing trainer who's on a quest to be the best. However, in order to achieve that you never start off the best and you learn from your losses. In a way, it's kind of like a trial and base era which Ash is going through on his journey.

I can't complain on what he does in the show, as it's the writers who make him play through his role. If anything were to be changed about Ash though is that maybe he could grow up a little more. His voice actor is fine for the dub, I definitely never had a problem with it. His look, after watching the show for so long, he should have had a little change in appearance (something like how Ben in Ben10 grew up), but we'll see what happens with that, if ever.

tl;dr, Ash is a great character who shows strong morals that teaches the younger audience to not give up in life, even when things are bad. He's not the least bit horrible, and yet, he's not the best. He's Ash, what else is left to say?

Basically, this.

Ash is supposed to act like a brother and role model to young kids. We fall, we get back up; strength isn't everything (although I'm quite a pro-strategy); think of your friends, your companions before yourself - that's the morals he's teaching. (There could be more but I don't know.)

Fire back at the people who try to justify for Ash all you want, haters, but remember that this is a show AIMED AT KIDS. You're not supposed to whine because you're not the intended target. So stop whining and suck it up even if you hate him.

beca

◔_____◔
    Years
  • In the early episodes, he was just a whiny brat. But hey, I grew to like him eventually xD

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • So, it's not that I really dislike Ash, it's more that I'm just frustrated by his character. (or lack, thereof) See, really since the anime has started, the writers have worked less and less on character development, and that really turns older viewers away. You see, Ash has some characteristics, but we never get to see what's in his head or heart, because if we did, it's just be saintliness. I feel as if Ash is supposed to be an effective rolemodel, and ironically, by trying to do this the writers failed in doing so. Ash is always so sure of himself, he knows with hard work and perserverance he can do anything. No, this is not a bad thing, but the problem is, this deletes all struggle and growth from his character, making him completely unrelatable. Because if he has flaws (real ones, not just making a dumb decision) that really deal with him emotionally and mentally, but he does the right thing anyway, then people can actual react to that, because nobody's perfect.

My other problem is Ash's pokemon, which I kind of group with the trainer anyway. You see, in the first season, Ash didn't give away nearly as many pokemon, and when he did, he usually only had the pokemon for a few episodes anyway. Butterfree is the only exception to this that I remember, which is why I cried when I saw this episode. This season, He's caught so many pokemon, and kept them for 20+ episodes, just to give them away. I loved Gliscor, but he left anyway. Same with Ambipom. Now, I know Ash has to respect his pokemon's feelings and desires, but there's one flaw with this system: trading pokemon around so often only leaves with underdevelopment in all of the pokemon's personalities. It's pretty hard to show the emotions of something that can only say it's own name, but over time a character can slowly build through the pokemon's actions and decisions. But when you keep switching pokes in and out of the arsenal, you have to start all over again. So while we may have known Bulbasaur really well, we know very little about Gible. This is my complaint, especially since the anime really emphasizes that each poke is an individuals with genuine feelings. And, well, I guess that's it. [/rant]

Back