• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do people say that Pokemon is for kids?

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    It's being called childish and a freak for liking something meant for kids that pisses me off, is that not understandable?

Sticks and stones. Sticks and stones.

This wasn't even a rant thread to begin with, it was trying to make sense of why people say and think the franchise is soley for kids and any teens or adults who like it are freaks.

You do know that people are going to find something about you that makes you a freak, right?

Besides most of those people are just bored or scared so you should plug your fingers in your ears and go "Lalalalalala, I'm not listening, lalalalala, la" any time they try and make them selves feel better by making you feel worse.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2009
    in the pokemon world . the world is... how do you say it.... nice...... almost every one is freindly.\
    almost every one cares for each other...in reality thats not true. the world isnt nice.... for the world to be nice is a childish thing to think...... irraility...... i know the worlds nice.. im 19 and live in nola.... soem one gets murdered 3 times a week... and to have freinds all the time every wher you go in pokemon.... ..... thats not true in this reality and when i watched pokemon when i was a kid.... thats what my parents said. the show was childish cuas it did not make eny sense... the world isnt nice....
    i know this first hand as iv been robed before in rl

btw this game isnt for kids ? pokemonworldonline.net/overview.php#

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    The losers that make fun of us PokéFans don't understand the actual complexity of the game itself. They think, all there is is "fighting people with monsters with powers." Well, all of us smart Pokémon lovers understand that they are to retarded to actually give it a try again, and they'll probably like it. Even though they are entitled to their opinion, they still don't have the right to make fun of us, when they know they have played it. And besides, it's not like we make fun of them because of what they like that we hate. We know better than that, and they don't.

Artyte

Bin- No Pokemon Prejudice
    Years

The term 'childish' is just a perception held by many people who do not understand much about pokemon. This is the same case as to the one on ethics of pokemon where many people, especially christians (no offence but this is true), rant on and on that pokemon is evil as they do not know anything about it (and usually those christians use the bible to argue when they have no knowledge of philosophy).

If you were asking me whether pokemon is childish, I would say no.
    Reason 1: It was never meant for children. Satoshi Tajiri, the creator of pokemon, just created it due to the fact that he was an "addict" in collecting bugs as a hobby. It just so happened that the children are more favourly inclined towards this franchise. And when these children grow old and realise that many children are playing it, they would feel like an outcast, thus stopping their "childish" habits and "become a teenager". The anime of pokemon is just describing the journey of a young boy in the pokemon world, nothing immature (just that they tend to put some images that potrays the image for kids). Usually, they would show signs of friendship which are common in many contemporary-popular animes that you have seen.
    Reason 2: If it was proven childish, why would the pokemon company especially hold pokemon tournaments around the world annually, in terms of TCG and video games, for people of all ages (most notably the section where they put 18 and above)? If it is was proven childish, the company would know that holding such a tournament would only invite people below the ages of 12, and thus earning lesser revenue, or sometimes even loss in profits as the revenue earned is lesser than the capital used to set up the tournament.

My best analogy of describing what is childishness and what is not is just taking into consideration whether wearing strap shoes is a sign of immaturity. Childishness doesn't equate to immaturity.

Now I've said my part...

PS: Hey coolcatkim22, you should learn that this is a spot for people to give their opinions about a certain topic. If you have just realised, there are many falsities spreaded amongst people who do not know on a certain situation, thus being fans, we try to correct their mindset and tell them what is true and what is not so that they can make their own decision not based on prejudice, but based on logical deduction. That's why we have to debate and that's why in this world, there is such a thing as controversies and science (otherwise there would be none if we shut ourselves up). So if you would correct that attitude of your's, you might succeed in administrative work. This is a post on a certain topic, if you are not happy, take it to another thread.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I agree, most aspects of the game would be difficult for children to understand and there are many, many things in the Pokémon anime (at least in the Japanese version) would also be harder for kids to understand. I know this because I have sat down and watched the Japanese version and have this at the first thing that pop into my mind: "I thought this was a kids' show! =OO".​

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2010
    I DO NOT think Pokemon is for kids, it rules. I' am in high school now and loads of people discriminate me horrifically. :(

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    I think the main reason why Pokemon tends to be viewed as childish would be a result of the anime, which is blatantly aimed at a younger age group. I mean it's obvious it's not catering to the same age group as Hell Girl or D-Gray Man, which deal with darker themes like Death on a frequent basis. Pokemon "faint" they don't die.

But I feel that Pokemon still has a universal appeal across all age groups overall due to the fact that it focuses on adventure and hobby collecting which are truly addictive elements in the real world.. You're never really too old to start a bug collection neither would anyone laugh at you if you have interest in collecting collectible toy figures or barbie dolls because that involves serious money.

Pokemon..has too much of a bad rep from the anime series (which frankly I find childish and tiring)

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    The reason they say that is because it's aimed for the younger audience (I'm talking about the anime). Technically speaking though, it's not FOR kids; anyone can watch it, including adults and teens like myself (though I stopped watching the newer episodes). xD;

Also, I think people say that because mostly everyone knows/has seen the anime at least once before, and since the anime is for kids they think Pokemon in general is too. It's just a result of many bad assumptions from a lot of close-minded people. I don't let it get to me. ;3

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Now, this isn't a thread ranting about the fact people say this, it sucks as we all know, especially when one gets made fun of for liking Pokemon based on that judgement (made a thread about this an age ago on here) but this is more about why people say that.

Now, I know that it's obviously made with children in mind, but there are alot of aspects to these games that in my personal experience, most young players don't understand. EV Training for example, hell, even I have trouble with that sometimes! But there's also the patience required to level Pokemon up to level 100 and max them out, the huge collecting side of it that requires multiple games to complete if you're willing enough, and it goes on.

There are alot of aspects to these games that can appeal to older players, and it makes me wonder why people say Pokemon is strictly for kids, and I was wondering if anyone had any possible explanations or guesses as to why?

Again this is not a rant thread per say, it's just me trying to make some degree of sense of this.

Have fun people, looking forward to hearing your input here.
    Do you think that the rest of society realizes that EV Training exists? Do you think that society realizes that there are more adult complications to Pokemon? I don't think so. Really, use your common sense here.

Also, do you want the whole world to take seriously a goody-goody world where creatures of all different sizes use elemental powers to defeat the forces of evil? Do you want the whole world to take seriously a wannabe trainer who thinks ~friendship~ should be focused on? At first glance, Pokemon seems ridiculously childish. It's just like looking at a picture of Dora the Explorer and saying its childish. Of course it looks childish! Who knows, even Dora the Explorer might have some adult aspects (lol) but we don't realize them at first glance. That makes our impression of the series childish.

the reason for all the babyish nonsense in pokemon is the little rat and my enemy pikachu.

it follows ash around like a shadow and will never evolve, therefore being a SMALL pokemon. people (me included) think it's about time to let it evolve then things would probably be a lot less babyish.

not only that, but the little kids and even some fangirls (no names) keep acting all 'aww aww so cute! pikachu 4ever pwn pwn! :3' is pretty much childish itself.

once it evolves, then I pretty much will fail to see what else is childish about it.
    Pikachu is only one character. It can't influence the whole series alone. There are many other components that influence how Pokemon is childish. Take a look at the trainers; they're all pretty much well-mannered, nice, and goody-goody. The creatures are adorable, and some are big giant beasts of fiction.

I agree with you.
    When I first heard about EV's I was like:

"Woh. Wait... What?" XDDDDD

Then I got use to it and it was fine.

I think it just depends on the people who play it.
    People who say its for kids either:

1. They refuse to accept it is an awesome game so they cover it up
    2. They have no soul

XDDDDDDDDD
    ... um... what? I can't believe you just called everyone who doesn't like Pokemon soulless. I mean... lol. Really, not everyone is going to like a certain franchise or series. :/ Learn to accept that.

Adults think Pokemon ruin the minds of kids...I think.
    They think it's childish.

Pokemon is for everyone, it just depends on how deep you dig into it.
    It can be for everyone. It was aimed at a younger audience. But... yeah.

The people who say those things probably play it non-stop themselves. Isn't the game like a 3+? And the anime probably didn't help.
    That is a big probably. You just said Pokemon-haters are non-existent. No... there will be haters, there will be people who think its childish. It's society's first impressions of Pokemon.

It's being called childish and a freak for liking something meant for kids that pisses me off, is that not understandable?
    That's going to be society's first reaction if they realize someone of your age likes Pokemon (no offense). I mean, it gets worse and worse the older you get.

The losers that make fun of us PokéFans don't understand the actual complexity of the game itself. They think, all there is is "fighting people with monsters with powers." Well, all of us smart Pokémon lovers understand that they are to retarded to actually give it a try again, and they'll probably like it. Even though they are entitled to their opinion, they still don't have the right to make fun of us, when they know they have played it. And besides, it's not like we make fun of them because of what they like that we hate. We know better than that, and they don't.
    Good god, you are such a loyal Pokemon fan. ._.; Open your eyes, please.

There will be haters of a certain series.
    There will be people who lose interest.
    There will be people who think it is childish.

You know what? I can't blame them. People look at Pokemon the first time think it's childish for reasons that I do not have to explain. They're not losers for just judging them by the first impression of Pokemon.

Years
    So using that first impression from the show makes it okay to try and make fans of the games feel like outcasts?

That was the feeling I got at times back in Year 7, it actually got bad enough to make me lose interest in it, and it didn't get re-ignited until after Year 11 when I got Pokemon Pearl.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2010
    So using that first impression from the show makes it okay to try and make fans of the games feel like outcasts?

That was the feeling I got at times back in Year 7, it actually got bad enough to make me lose interest in it, and it didn't get re-ignited until after Year 11 when I got Pokemon Pearl.

Actually, at the beginning when Pokemon first came out ( I was about 10 I think?) I thought Pokemon was a really good show, not because I was a kid, but because the anime's premise was fresh and the plot wasn't as stale as it is now ( Twerps encounter Goody-Goody Trainer with a Problem Pokemon, TR swoop in to steal Pokemon & Get their Butts Kicked, Simple Moral Lesson Learned: Friendship, Perseverance etc etc.) I mean, the lessons are valuable and worth learning and such, but what I'd like to see from the series is something more in-depth, like teaching kids how the world is not black & white like it idealistically makes it out to be, but in shades of gray. Or touching on more "mature" themes other than the usual kiddy friendly ones.

Then after about a year of more of the same, I soon lost interest in the anime after Orange Islands. While the movies continue to be superb graphically, I can't say much for its plot nor the series' plot.

I wouldn't be as quick to judge who still follow the anime faithfully (and definitely not fellow gamers), but I'd still groan inwardly and the kiddish anime will spring to mind. After all, NINTENDO uses the anime as a tool to promote the game franchise so you can't fault people for instantly associating anime with game.

Anyway, everybody judge things based on first impressions and stereotypes, it's just how the world works..

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Naturally society thinks that Pokemon is childish, so they would laugh or ridicule anyone who is a fan of a series of such a childish nature. It's not a good thing, but it won't change.

Gars129

Is now focused on other things
    Years
    The other day a 9 year old told me that his neighbor is the same age as me, the same grade, and he doesnt play pokemon. And that pussies play that.
    Liking pokemon doesnt make me less "normal", and being into what everyone else is into is lame.

dutchmuffin77

...not dutch
    Years
    people see the show and they think that the game is exactly like the show.
    they call it childish when they havent even played it before or even seen someone play it before.

it sometimes upsets me when people in my class make fun of pokemon when they werent even allowed to play it when they were young or see the show when they were young; i think sometimes it might be jealousy over taking them because they never got to have fun playing pokemon like me and they still cant play pokemon like me.

that really sucks for them.

Pumpkinz 4 Mayor

Run! Its the Soup Nazi!
    Years
    I think its because of the main character in each f the games. They are always 10 or 13 or something like that. It may sound silly at first, but you'll never find a Pokemon game with an adult as a main character. (Except in Pokemon hacks, of course.) Its made in the sense of a younger audience, and people think that older people who play it are weird, because its made for little kids, even though there are adult apects to it. Trust me, its happened to me before...

Torosiken

The angst is in the bloodline
    Years
    WHo said pokemon childish?! They must try it 1st! Bet they will like it!!
    (I tried to said it to my school friends naw they like pokemon too :D) -> I am a pokemon virus xD

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    I agree with Cherii. There are people out there who are going to think you are childish for liking Pokemon.

You know Leon, if you didn't let them get to you then they wouldn't keep heckling you. If you just ignore them they'd go away. I know that's difficult, but deal with it.

Back