• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Why do people say that Red from the games in based on the manga?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Seeing as Pokemon all started with Red and Green versions I would like to say that Red in Pokemon Special (Adventures in the USA) is NOT based on the manga because the games came out first, so Red from the manga is based on the games.

Years
    Seeing as Pokemon all started with Red and Green versions I would like to say that Red in Pokemon Special (Adventures in the USA) is NOT based on the manga because the games came out first, so Red from the manga is based on the games.

More than likely they are refering to Red at Mt. Silver on G/S/C. In the manga Red travels to Mt. Silver and has in his team Venusaur, Pikachu, Espeon, Snorlax, Blastoise (given to him by Blue), and Charizard (Given to him by Green). Blue and Green lent Red their pokemon so he could reach the top of the mountain to soak in the medicinal hot springs to help him recover from his injuries from the E4 incident earlier.

Years

Uh, who says that games!Red was based on manga!Red? =| Every cross-canon reference that I've seen always has the opposite - manga!Red being based on games!Red.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    More than likely they are refering to Red at Mt. Silver on G/S/C. In the manga Red travels to Mt. Silver and has in his team Venusaur, Pikachu, Espeon, Snorlax, Blastoise (given to him by Blue), and Charizard (Given to him by Green). Blue and Green lent Red their pokemon so he could reach the top of the mountain to soak in the medicinal hot springs to help him recover from his injuries from the E4 incident earlier.

I think even at the time of Mt. Silver, they had Red's team in the Manga mirror what he had in the game. The game would have at least been released in Japan before they made the GSC arc of PokeSpe, thus they have the ability to make it so his team mirrors the team of what Red has in the GSC games.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Uh, who says that games!Red was based on manga!Red? =| Every cross-canon reference that I've seen always has the opposite - manga!Red being based on games!Red.

When people mistake Red for Ash and Blue for Gary Oak they say the games are based on the manga.

キラキラ

KiraKira
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2011
    People are constantly fighting over this in Gamefaqs...
    NINTENDO NEEDS TO CONFIRM IT so noobs can be quiet.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    What you say is actually the truth as the manga is based on games and not the games on manga. But one thing that opposes this theory is that Red have the same pokemon that he had in manga in his team at mount silver. I think that nintendo wanted to give some manga reference or the manga written in a way that red has the same pokemon he had at mt.silver to show reference to the game.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    People are constantly fighting over this in Gamefaqs...
    NINTENDO NEEDS TO CONFIRM IT so noobs can be quiet.

There's an easy way to do this.

Release date of Pokémon Red/Green Versions: February 27, 1996
    Publication date of the first volume of Pokémon Special: August 8, 1997

These can be confirmed by reliable sources, namely in this case, IGN (under the tab in the middle of the page marked "Editions") and Shogakukan's page for the first volume (i.e., the website of the original publisher of the manga), if you don't trust either Wikipedia or Bulbapedia.

In other words, technically, they have. You'd just need to do some digging to find it.

But to get back on topic, my guess is that with a lot of manga franchises, the manga comes first, followed by an anime and then a game. At least, this is a bit of a leap of logic in any case, considering American volumes of the manga usually come sporting the Nintendo seal in a corner (to show that it's totally not copyright infringement), and Nintendo's usually not something that touches book publishing with a ten-foot pole unless the media has anything to do with one of its games in the first place. That is, the people who are saying this probably just don't realize that this manga stems from anything thanks to the usual pattern.

Lunatone

The Meteorite Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2009
    I personally think it's all different. Since there is in fact a Blue, and she isn't in any of the games. But then again I've never read the manga, I was more for playing the games.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    I personally think it's all different. Since there is in fact a Blue, and she isn't in any of the games. But then again I've never read the manga, I was more for playing the games.
    Blue was there in FR/LG(but her attire was modified and she was called leaf).

Back