• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you think pokemon died out?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
  • To Harper: Dude, since when has the entire world liked Pokemon anyway? Just because several billion people don't like a franchise doesn't mean it's suddenly unpopular. What makes a franchise popular is the several billion people who still do. And since fans come and go with Pokemon, it hasn't really died out yet. I'd say that it's not really thousands of fans that we're looking at. It's still millions because people are being enticed by the hype of the DS generation.

In general: As for every kid in America not playing Pokemon, I'd say you'd probably be surprised. There's plenty of closet fans out there. In fact, some of the people I know who never said that they were into Pokemon at all when I told them I was a fan actually came out to me several months later and admitted that they've gotten Diamond or Pearl (and, um, that it didn't compare to previous generations).

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Heh, yeah. We'd probably see a world of difference in the "Pokemon Popularity" if everybody would just come out of their Poke-closet.

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
  • pokemon has died out a little, but it isn't as great as it used to be, R/B/Y sold over 4 million copies or something close to that, but if u look at sales for G/S/C u get more like 400 thousand copies, at one point almost every kid that thinks pokemon is a nerd's game they usualy have liked it, but moved on to different games.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Haha! I remember when I was in third grade. Some middle schooler conned me out of my deck, lol.

Pokemon was a craze, like Digimon or Yugioh! it eventually falls out of the public eye. Still, it's a powerful franchise.

Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh were crazes? o.O I don't think they were

pokemon has died out a little, but it isn't as great as it used to be, R/B/Y sold over 4 million copies or something close to that, but if u look at sales for G/S/C u get more like 400 thousand copies, at one point almost every kid that thinks pokemon is a nerd's game they usualy have liked it, but moved on to different games.

I think it was the 3rd gen that sold the worst out of all. I wish there was a site that said all the sells...but I'm sure I read on Bulbapedia that D/P surpassed 1st day sells on R/S by a lot

President Showaddywaddy

Eevee Trainer
    Years
  • Trust me, if you even said the word pokemon at my school, one of three things will happen.
    a)Isolated
    b)Beaten up
    c)Shot

Don't get me wrong, I think pokemon was a wonderful idea, but public interest has moved on. There may be a revival, but then, it's hard to convince teenagers that what they watched when they were six is good.

DarthSenorQueso

Officially number 1 snake
    Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    Pokemon did not die out pearl this site has almost 700 people there are dozens of other sites like this pokemon pearl and diamond are the second best selling games next to mario there are three magazines the show somehow stays on need I go on?

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • 1. Pokémon Red, Blue and Green (Gameboy) - 20.08 Million Copies Sold
    2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - 18 Million Copies Sold
    3. The Sims (PC) - 16 Million Copies Sold
    4. Nintendogs (Nintendo DS) - 14.75 Million Copies Sold
    5. Pokémon Gold and Silver (Gameboy) - 14.1 Million Copies Sold
    6. Super Mario Land (Gameboy) - 14 Million Copies Sold
    7-tie. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Playstation 2) - 13 Million Copies Sold
    7-tie. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (Game Boy Advance) - 13 Million Copies Sold
    7-tie. The Sims2 (PC) - 13 Million Copies Sold
    10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Playstation 2) - 12 Million Copies Sold
    11-tie. Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64) - 11 Million Copies Sold
    11-tie. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (Playstation 2) - 11 Million Copies Sold
    11-tie. Grand Theft Auto III (Playstation 2) - 11 Million Copies Sold
    14. Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (Game Boy Advance) - 10.66 Million Copies Sold
    15. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo DS) - 10.52 Million Copies Sold
    16. Gran Turismo (Playstation 1) - 10.5 Million Copies Sold
    17. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (Nintendo DS) - 10 Million Copies Sold
    18. Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) - 10 Million Copies Sold
    19. Final Fantasy VII (Playstation 1) - 9.8 Million Copies Sold
    20. StarCraft (PC) - 9.5 Million Copies Sold
    21. World of Warcraft (PC) - 9 Million Copies Sold
    22. Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! (Nintendo DS) - 8.61 Million Copies Sold
    23. Gran Turismo 2 (Playstation 1) - 8.5 Million Copies Sold
    24. Mario Kart 64 (Nintendo 64) - 8.47 Million Copies Sold
    25-tie. Halo 2 (XBox) - 8 Million Copies Sold
    25-tie. Donkey Kong Country (Super Nintendo) - 8 Million Copies Sold
    25-tie. Super Mario Kart (Super Nintendo) - 8 Million Copies Sold
    25-tie. GoldenEye 007 (Nintendo 64) - 8 Million Copies Sold
    25-tie. Pokémon Yellow (Game Boy) - 8 Million Copies Sold

According to here. Apparently, Diamond and Pearl have sold 10 million copies. I'd say that's pretty good for a game that's only been out for a year. Also, Wikipedia.

Shiraishi

Orz
    Years
  • I'd prefer GTA, still has gore, but less...sickening scenes.

As for Pokemon, how can you tell it's died out? This forum has atleast 100 people at any given time a day, and near 1000 on others.

If Pokemon truly has died out, I'd say it was because of the anime. Or, to be more specific, the DUBBED anime. With it's stupid catchphrase (Gotta catch 'em all!) and kiddy themes of "friendship" and stuff(though I guess this was also in the original Jap anime). Also, who can confuse a riceball with a donut/sandwich? I don't know what 4Kids was smoking when they translated that bit...

Is "Getto da ze" any better? Because thats what they use in the RAW version. It's quite annoying because I saw tons of pokemon commercials in japan.

DarthSenorQueso

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    Eh.... you know you really should check things before you say pokemon is dying ...lol

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    If we're debating over whether or not Pokemon has died out in the public's eyes, I really can't see anyone arguing that it's still alive.

You can show sales charts, tell me how many people still visit forums like these, and the like, but the openness of Pokemon is gone. That's what I'm saying.

No, I don't just mean in teenage/highschool/middleschool settings, either. In elementary schools there has even been a serious decline. I was a 5th/6th grader when Pokemon Red and Blue hit US shelves, and when it reached it's peak popularity. I was part of it. Back in those days, you'd be hard pressed to find a kid who didn't play. I'd see kids in resturaunt lobbies playing, I'd look out the window and see kids playing in the backseats of the cars, I'd go to my local toy store, and see signs saying "Sorry, we are out of stock of Pokemon cards. Shipments come in on Tuesday," and the next Tuesday morning see kids in line waiting for it to open. And it wasn't just around my small town home, either. I'd go on vacation and hang out with other kids from across America. I only met one kid who didn't own Pokemon. Everyone else played. Everyone. It wasn't just a fad for my generation, it was a way of life. Everyone was going to be a master.

But then it disappeared, almost without notice. I grew up, went to highschool, and never heard mention of Pokemon from anyone beside me and my one other die-hard friend in school, who eventually dropped it as well. Before I even knew it, the one thing I probably had in common with more kids than anything in the world, had become "uncool" to a large amount of people, a majority of them ex-trainers.

I'm not arguing that Pokemon isn't still big. The sales prove that, as do sites like these. However, its monsterous status has vanished. I am now the only person I know personally who plays Pokemon, and I know people from all sorts of age groups. Pokemon might not be dead, but it's in one heck of a coma in comparison to its history.

MegaDitto

Windsor ™
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    Pokemon is still a subject of Popular Culture....

Just not in all it's areas as it used to be. Mostly the Adventure Games and the TV series.

DarthSenorQueso

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    Im saying it is alive almost everyone in my school, friends ,mom,me likes pokemon and and its a big thing in the high school and in the pawn shop i go to...Hylian friend request.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
  • People becoming more 'mature', which in reality, have actually grown to become more immature by doing even more reckless and dangerous things.

DarthSenorQueso

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    like I said in my community eveyone plays pokemon even the bullys and mom's and teachers.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • People becoming more 'mature', which in reality, have actually grown to become more immature by doing even more reckless and dangerous things.

Sounds like someone's sour because he wasn't invited to the cool drinking party last weekend.
    Why do you think pokemon died out?

Back