• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why does everyone want shinies so much?

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    That, and they want to have Pokemon that are more funky looking than Power Rangers.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Because official recoloured sprites which are ultra-rare are perceived to be cool?
    Dunno. Apart from bragging rights and showing how much free time you have on your hands if you "shiny hunt".

Years
    • VA
    • Seen Aug 13, 2007
    Shinies

The One Horible Misconception About Shinies Is That If You Catch Them And Their Nature Goes Against Them (such As A Rampardos With A Nature That Lowers Attack But Hightens Sp.atk) It Will Be Only Used To Brag Then You Will Lose And It Will Seem Less Interesting

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
    Years
    But of course, there are people who do manage to catch the shinies they want with the natures they want. And people are still eager to find such specific Pokémon for trades as well...

As far as the appeal, yea, it would be the rarity and shine factor, but I think with all the cloning going on, rarity isn't that big a deal anymore, since most people who have a Shiny Mew, for example, probably have either a hacked one or a cloned one. It's quite sad if you really wanted to have something truly "one-of-a-kind." :(

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
    Years
    Yea, bad example actually lol. But you get the drift. The luxury of having a Pokémon to brag about is lessened when other people have the same exact one from the same exact trainer with the same exact IVs, nature, etc. But if you're in it just for the shine, it won't matter much.

Back