• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why don't people play Magic?

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
Years
  • This is a question that even I don't understand. Magic surpasses YGO in every way except for stupidity in boosters (admit it, a booster in YGO sucks badly. Most commons can't even be used.)

So I don't get why other than YGO is the current fad. Any ideas?

punkie90

You can call me PK!
    Years
  • Well, Magic is rarely played because

-it's expensive for good cards

-there is no story along with it to juice up the game

- it's very gorey

-and kinda is a sign of the devil

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Kenny_C.002 said:
    It doesn't have its own hit TV series. =P That's basically the only thing holding YGO up in the tcg department. If it weren't for the anime, close to no one would know about it. @_@;; Besides, just she sheer fact that it came from Japan is probably another big factor. Anime is extremely popular right now, so anything that has its own anime and lots of merchandise, such as YGO, is likely to get blown out of proportion and such.

One of the reasons I don't play Magic is because I don't feel the need to get into it - it isn't very intriguing to me and I have no interest in the game. The cards are also too dark for my liking. XD I like bright colours. *amused easily* o_O

*is going to bed now* ;_;

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jan 19, 2004
    Kenny_C.002 said:
    This is a question that even I don't understand. Magic surpasses YGO in every way except for stupidity in boosters (admit it, a booster in YGO sucks badly. Most commons can't even be used.)

Tell me, which do you see advertised more: Yu-Gi-Oh! or Magic? And another thing, which is simpler to understand: Yu-Gi-Oh! or Magic? :P

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • I get the posts by nick and lightning (yeah, it kinda makes sense for the most part. Magic is harder to get used to because it's more free flowing...). I guess books aren't as appealing to the public than the anime...*scary*

Now to dissect punkie's post :P

"-it's expensive for good cards"

It's a myth, people don't ever play type 1 these days, and only a small number of the old cards reach the "over $100" category. Most cards in type 2 (meaning the most current 6 sets plus the current base set) aren't that expensive. The most expensive card in type two is currently Exalted Angel at $20. Look at YGO, the cheapest good rare bottoms at $20. Of course, people tend to think "Black Lotus" when they think magic, and that's where the myth comes in.

"-there is no story along with it to juice up the game"

Not many people know this, but all magic sets are based on a novel that go with it. I currently have the Legions novel, the Scourge novel, and "Moons of Mirrodin", the novel for th newest set: Mirrodin.

"- it's very gorey"

Two words: Rebecca Guay. I actually PLAY magic because of her extraordinarily beautiful water paintings. I'd be insulted if you don't go and find some of her works (easy! just go to www.rebeccaguay.com) and just admire them.

"-and kinda is a sign of the devil"

The basis of the game is actually magic (the real deal), so you can say that. But then again, is magic really the sign of the devil? That's for people's interpretations.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • *-* Yes, if there's one thing that would draw me into playing Magic, it's the art on the cards. My friend would always put down YGO because of the card game's art being inferior. He brought in his binder to show me the art... and I loved it. o.o I especially like all the cards with dragons. They're cool. X3

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • well... all those people in the "nerd room" (well I'm part of the nerd room myself so it's not an insult it's just what everyone calls that room) plays Magic all the time... The whole gang of gr.11s and gr.12s are playing it. So there are still some loyal supporter of Magic Cards.

Strider

Not Pwnd
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2006
    Well, Magic is rarely played because

-it's expensive for good cards
    Nol it's not. Shock, Counterspell. They can go for under a dollar. Yes, they are common cards, but they are among one of the staple of the game. Good cards are spread out through the rares and commons. You don't need rares to build a good deck. If you are a player, you don't need hundreds of dollar to build a deck. Of course, if you are a collector you'll need to spend money.

-there is no story along with it to juice up the game
    There's novel for it. More than 10 of the them are available.

- it's very gorey
    That depends. Some cards might appear more gorey than others, but at the same time they are beatufully drawn. Check the site given by Kenny_C.002

-and kinda is a sign of the devil
    Satanic is subjective

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Yeah. Some people actually refuse to play black because of the content. But everyone plays white, green, and blue. I mean, the three colours don't have any subjective artwork at all (okay okay, AFTER the standardization of the colour wheel a while ago). No zombies, no evil vampires, just plain wizards, elves, and a couple of angels. :P

Rebecca Guay = queen of Magic, the one who defined magic. (They'd better bring her back in 5th dawn, or somebody is going to get hurt). :D

Greed

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2008
    First of all, you can stop being stupid, Kenny.. Its your opinion YGO sucks, and Magic rules.. Its my opinion that YGO rules and Magic sucks. There, can you understand that?

I don't like that people bash YGO just cus it surpasses other former games.. :p And don't say YGO is stupid and use it to start a thread.. That's pretty low, you could have just asked why Magic isn't popular anymore, huh?

Anyways, Magic is kinda hard for me to play.. I tried it, but I sucked on it.. And the animation's okay.

I just dig anime cards, alright?

Like Lightning said, it'd be popular if Magic had series on it. Heck, almost my whole school doesn't even know what Magic is, and are experts mostly in YGO cards.

*gets killed by cards*

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I learned how to play MTG a long time ago because my classmates were into it and they taught me. I don't have any cards of my own save for about 100 that my brother's friend gave to me plus a starter deck I got a long time ago. I've found that I was just not able to keep up with all the releases and I gave up on it altogether.

I rarely see anyone playing it anymore, and if I do, I usually take relief in the fact that there are bigger losers than me in the world. XD

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Cartoon, you gotta understand my position a little better; I'm more on the: nobody even wants to TRY Magic. That's what's ****ing me off. Everyone I know that plays YGO discard Magic as crap and whatever. They never truly ever look at it. For me, I play BOTH of them. I could care less whether one's better or not. You have to understand that my position here is that nobody even tries magic.

I've based all my arguments off facts that I've observed through playing both of them, whereas almost everybody else just prejudice against other CCGs as crap. Heck, if you want me to pull .hack or Knight of the Zodiac (.hack is actually quite fun) CCGs in here, my point will still be the same: people go with the current fad as the "cool" thing and discard all other similarities.

I don't like that people bash YGO just cus it surpasses other former games.. :p And don't say YGO is stupid and use it to start a thread.. That's pretty low, you could have just asked why Magic isn't popular anymore, huh?

btw, I never EVER said that YGO is stupid. I said Magic surpasses YGO in every way. There's a difference there.

My first example is the stupidity in boosters. When I've compared Magic against YGO in boosters, this is what I've found (facts):
    Magic is cheaper in cost (okay, 10 for 2 YGO packs or 10 for 3 Magic packs)
    Magic contains 11 cards in boosters whereas YGO has 9 cards
    These are cold hard facts.

Commons from the YGO packs I got were either cards with low attack, no effect, low defense, etc. or bad magic like sagen (or however you spell that field card) or sparks.
    Commons from Magic aren't as bad, but still almost just as bad (aside from the shocks and counterspells, most of the creatures suck, unless it's like a goblin or something like that)
    As you can see, Magic beats out YGO slightly, only slightly.

This one's personal, so you don't have to count it:
    I open a pack in magic, and find something by Rebecca Guay, blown away by the art. Of course, it's probably a common and I'll just frame the card and not use it.
    I open a pack in YGO, and find something like Summoned Skull, just puts it in the deck. I don't go an observe the details, it's just...summoned skull. I see the other cards....well some I like the art and keep, but nothing good enough for me to frame it, while others I just give away (and those people just toss them away...).

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jan 19, 2004
    Heh, I've played Magic before, and it does require a bit more strategy and knowledge than Yu-Gi-Oh!. The only reason I don't play Magic is because I got too much into Yu-Gi-Oh! when I learned how to play.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • I see. Yeah, that's what one of my friends thought too. Doesn't matter, we still play random YGO and pokemon games. :P

Actually, I think the surprise factor in YGO is higher than magic, tho. You know how in magic, it's usually "Oh my, you played this?" or "Oh my, you morphed this?". YGO is morelike, "What? you played this?" or "You've activated WHAT?" It's always fun to see the surprise factor (tho some are worst than others). And pokemon is just..."Another Big Basic...-_-"

I feel that I love infinite combos, also. And both games serve them up (okay, magic has a couple with Intruder Alarm). I mean it's a classic to have an infinite attack MAgical Marrionette and just as fun with an inf/inf pesk token with trample. :P

Greed

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2008
    Well, Kenny, you could have said at least "This is not an offense to YGO fans" or something like that..

Sometimes it offends people @_@ That could have made me be a bit nicer -_-;

*Gets killed by YGO fans*

usami

biohazard
    Years
  • I dont think that Magic suports the devil beacuase of the magic beacause well yu-gi-oh contains Magic like the 7 millinium items have magic by one of its holders like Pharoh or Marik so they is a basicly an even amount of magic in most however i have never played magic so im just basing this on the fact that magic dosent suport the devil.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • I see. I mean, some people do think that magic itself (true magic) is the sign of the devil, and I respect that (a friend of mine thinks that way, we're still good friends). But if they DO decide to add a 6th colour to the game, then it wouldn't be true magic anymore...

btw Cartoon, I'll remember that next time. ;)

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • hmm. I don't like magic. But some people bash yugioh because it copies of of *******. But yugioh was before *******...

Ah yes, the seven-letter word containing -mon in the end. lol

I'm not sure about the CCGs tho, since the actual mon game was concepted back in like 1995.

Back