• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why, exactly, do many people think the anime has gone downhill?

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    If I looked at it separately, it has it's own charm that I enjoy just as much as I did with the original season of the series.

I definitely agree with you on this. You kind of have to appreciate it for what it is. If you watch pokemon expecting some beautifully dramatic masterpiece, you're going to be disappointed. But if you just go into it looking for a fun, lighthearted, often silly series that can be heartwarming at times, you'll probably like it a lot more :P.

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
  • I'm not really a fan of the Diamond/Pearl Anime Series - I think it's become less detailed/interesting than the past Anime.

Years
  • I think that Pokémon the Anime seriously jumped the sharpedo when Brock just completely gave up on life and became the world's most milkshake blooded losersaurus pathetic. Pokémon breeding? Nobody even knows how Pokémon breed they've never seen an Egg being laid! Brock basically just said he wants to do nothing with his life.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    I think that Pokémon the Anime seriously jumped the sharpedo when Brock just completely gave up on life and became the world's most milkshake blooded losersaurus pathetic. Pokémon breeding? Nobody even knows how Pokémon breed they've never seen an Egg being laid! Brock basically just said he wants to do nothing with his life.
    I don't really understand what exactly you want to say, but didn't Brock say that he wanted to become a Pokemon Doctor and left Ash for his journey to Isshu? He is not wasting his life or anything. And Pokemon breeding isn't helping Pokemon to breed. XD; Try reading this sometime.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    I think that Pokémon the Anime seriously jumped the sharpedo when Brock just completely gave up on life and became the world's most milkshake blooded losersaurus pathetic. Pokémon breeding? Nobody even knows how Pokémon breed they've never seen an Egg being laid! Brock basically just said he wants to do nothing with his life.

Breeding in the anime and in real life isn't just about putting a male and a female together for offspring, you know. Would you tell a friend that was interested in caring for animals and possibly becoming a veterinarian that he or she was doing nothing with their life :P?

Years
  • I was more saying that I don't like Brock.

If Brock was dedicating his life to becoming a Nurse Joy or a Chansey, I would've said that's a worthwhile goal. It always seems like his extent into Pokémon breeding involves preparing food. He's more a Pokémon chef

Last edited:

RainbowWing

Returned from the ashes
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2018
    I thought everyone stopped watching when Misty left?

well, yes. i didn't honestly care when misty left. mostly because everyone would of got sick if misty still stayed in the anime, and she did made some appearances.

Years
  • well I personally don't think the anime is getting worse. Some characters may be lacking in personality and development (especially some of the female traveling partners), but from what I've seen from BW so far it's not as bad, I'm actually looking forward to the BW arc :D. As for the change in voice actors, I didn't like the new voices at first but after awhile I liked some of them better than the old ones. It's the same thing with pokemon designs when gen V came out - they're really not that bad (the designs and the anime, I mean), we just need time to get used to them. No anime is perfect, there are many flaws in pokemon, that's for sure, but I'm pretty sure an anime isn't meant to be analyzed like a literary essay anyway. While it's true that there are lots of fillers and most episodes are 'cliche', I like watching it just because it's pokemon and it's nice to watch a non-serious anime from time to time. If you don't like it, then just don't watch it, no one's forcing anyone to watch the anime.

I guess most people don't like the anime anymore because they've grown up and it doesn't appeal to them as much. It's a shame that the pokemon anime receives so much criticism just because people have grown up while the anime hasn't. In most cases, people only play the games because everything else "pokemon" seems childish (at least this is the feeling I'm getting everywhere). I only know one other person IRL who is my age and watches the anime closely xD

btw, the only thing I don't like about the anime is how Ash loses all the experience he gains in his previous journeys when he starts a new one xD

[edit] about the creators taking out the 'adult stuff' from the anime, I don't think there were that many in the original series in the first place. And if there were, I think it's because of the dub, not the actual show. There's a difference in the script for the english and japanese dubs, mainly because the english script writers try to make TR sound witty (which I don't think works that well) xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    I was more saying that I don't like Brock.

If Brock was dedicating his life to becoming a Nurse Joy or a Chansey, I would've said that's a worthwhile goal. It always seems like his extent into Pokémon breeding involves preparing food. He's more a Pokémon chef

Yeah, I understand. I'm not really a fan of Brock's, either. To be fair, he is often seen displaying way more knowledge about pokemon than Ash or any of his companions, and is usually the one looking after the injured pokemon, too. But it would've been nice to see his failures as well as his successes. He never seems to have any difficulty figuring out the perfect type of pokemon food for any pokemon, and he always ends up befriending pokemon with ease. He also almost always knows everything whenever a real question comes up. His character becomes kind of dull once you realize he already knows everything.

People seem to be having generally positive reactions to the Black and White episodes, though. I'm still on the Sinnoh ones, though I'm ending up skipping a lot of filler episodes. I really like Paul as a character -- he's really interesting, and not just pure evil or pure arrogance like I thought he might be when we first met him. I just don't like how Ash keeps losing to him. I've never watched any of the Sinnoh League episodes, but I am already pretty sure Ash will beat him there. All these losses are totally setting him up for it =/...

One thing they've kept throughout the anime that I think is good is that not all the pokemon evolve. Bulbasaur still remains my favorite personality of all of Ash's pokemon. And I think it's awesome that he never evolved.

Years
  • Yeah, I understand. I'm not really a fan of Brock's, either. To be fair, he is often seen displaying way more knowledge about pokemon than Ash or any of his companions, and is usually the one looking after the injured pokemon, too. But it would've been nice to see his failures as well as his successes. He never seems to have any difficulty figuring out the perfect type of pokemon food for any pokemon, and he always ends up befriending pokemon with ease. He also almost always knows everything whenever a real question comes up. His character becomes kind of dull once you realize he already knows everything.

I'm happy you see my point. I also hate how Ash keeps losing to any lv.5 scrub that comes along as soon as he starts his journey over again. It's like Pikachu loses all his power at the beginning and hasn't been beating Dragonite's left and right for like 10 years.

Also is it me or is Brock usually the one saddled with more unruly Pokémon than normal?

~PokemonMaster~

Up-And-Coming Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I like the endings of the seasons. The tournaments. I also think the gym battles are pretty good.
    But the beginning of Gen III, IV, and V seasons really annoyed me. Pikachu keeps losing to new weak Pokemon, it is really messed up

Years
  • Why, exactly, do many people think the anime has gone downhill?

that's why. the first few episodes were awesome, it's nosedived since johto. I'd say because EVERY EPISODE IS THE SAME WHAT

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    Why, exactly, do many people think the anime has gone downhill?

that's why. the first few episodes were awesome, it's nosedived since johto. I'd say because EVERY EPISODE IS THE SAME WHAT
    What you posted is the description of a typical filler episode in the Pokemon Anime. I know that nobody likes filler episodes, and the ones in the Pokemon Anime aren't even quite interesting.
    But still, some gym battles and contests can be entertaining as well.

Years
  • What you posted is the description of a typical filler episode in the Pokemon Anime. I know that nobody likes filler episodes, and the ones in the Pokemon Anime aren't even quite interesting.
    But still, some gym battles and contests can be entertaining as well.

That's your opinion. I like fillers, I like them a lot. So you're wrong when you say NOBODY likes fillers.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    That's your opinion. I like fillers, I like them a lot. So you're wrong when you say NOBODY likes fillers.
    Okay.. agreed. But not many of us prefer having so many filler episodes, where nothing special takes place.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    I think fillers are easier to watch if you just look at them as cannon, since technically they are. Sometimes filler characters will reoccur; not all of them are thrown away. And according to the anime, all of the filler episodes actually did happen (unlike in some series like Naruto, which is 100% based off manga, so any filler episodes didn't really happen).

My only complaint is that not enough character development happens in the fillers. If you don't want to advance the main plot, fine. But usually the only development we see in fillers is that Ash learns some obvious battling strategy (pay attention to the environment, monitor your pokemon's well-being, believe in your pokemon, etc.), rather than experiencing a deepening of his character.

It might also be interesting to learn more about the various characters' pasts in-depth. Dawn barely seems to have a past at all. What did she do for 10 years, anyways? There was one incident at one point in time with Plusle and Minun and then...? Even May had more of a past...

One major thing they should do differently is have more of Team Rocket's schemes span several episodes. In other series, we get so frustrated when the villains get away with something. In pokemon, we know Team Rocket rarely has possession of pikachu (or other stolen pokemon) for more than 5-10 min or so. Let them get away with something already, even if it's just for an arc of episodes!

Back