• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why so serious?

How competitive are you?

• My Pokes' dominate because they're EV Trained!

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I don't EV Train, but I breed to greatness!

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I sometimes EV Train/breed for specialness.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • No "Ubers", they're cheap!

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I don't EV Train/breed for perfection.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • It took 15 Ultra Balls, and 3 of my Pokemon got KO'd, I'm using my "Uber".

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    What happened, why is the Pokemon scene so serious now? Its gotten so competitive. I get that people wanna be the best that ever was, but it seems like they're more worried about winning then just having fun playing the games. I'm not knocking the people who breed for perfect stats(or why ever they do it, I don't actually know), EV Train, or don't use "Ubers". Doesn't that get boring though? I mean breeding Pokemon to get an egg with a certain move or good stats just seems tedious, not fun. I know EV Training isn't cheating because its a natural thing you can do in game, but isn't the point of the games to have fun, not to have super powerful Pokemon that'll dominate on WIFI? As for the "Uber" thing, if my opponent is talking like they have this ultimate team or really strong Pokemon, who are they to complain about me using the "Uber" that I worked so hard to catch and used many an Ultra Ball on? Again, I'm not knocking all the people who are super competitive, I just wanna know, why are you? Myself, I don't do all the competitive stuff. The Pokemon in my team are raised by way of Trainer Battles, wild Pokemon, and Rare Candies(if I have any). Sure they don't ALWAYS win on the WIFI circuit, but they do good, and I'm okay with that.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    People have always played Pokémon at varying levels of dedication.

It also may be surprising to hear that some people may have fun with egg move and nature breeding, while EV training can be done very quickly with the use of a few particular items and training areas, and they may also have fun battling against others in the same boat at the top rung of competitive scene.

Uber Pokémon are also a completely different level to Pokémon that have been EV trained and have a beneficial nature because not only do they take a generally lesser amount of work to obtain, they are still likely to outpower a great deal of trained Pokémon - a Mewtwo's minimum Sp. Atk stat is nearly as high as a the maximum (this includes EV training) Sp. Atk of a Gengar that doesn't have a beneficial nature, a Pokémon that also has a pretty impressive Sp Atk stat. Then there's the issue that their Base Stat totals as a whole are higher than other Pokémon.

tl;dr different people have fun playing poketmens different ways and i bet there's tons of people who play the same way you/someone else does.

ps if you want my opinion i just used pokesav to take the coolest pokemon i had caught and give them good moves and evs. also i've never bothered playing multiplayer

Last edited:

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Well, I look at it this way.

Pokemmon is way more in depth than most people think.

Sure, the breeding and E.V training may seem boring at first.

I personally find it more fun now than when I first started.

And the feeling you get after you complete the daunting task is so great.

I haven't battled competively yet but I hope to soon.

I will say this though.

It makes me sad how a lot of my favorite Pokemon are NU and very bad (Thank god Tangrowth isn't )

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    I've never understood EV training myself, tedious is the exact same word I would use! I do admire the people who do try it out though, as it seems to take alot of dedication, but my team of normally trained pokemon seem to be holding their own on wi-fi so far, so if any 'EV trainers' want to compare and see if there is actually a differance I'd be happy to battle? :)

Years
  • I'm not a competitive player, I prefer my challenge whoring. I've tried breeding and EVing and all that maybe 2 years ago, but it just bored the hell out of me and eventually the tedium broke my will to achieve anything in that direction.
    So, as for my current play style, I will usually just care for not having an absolutely terrible nature on my Pokemon: modest Beedrill is not fun. Serious Beedrill I am ok with. Adamant Beedrill is nice to have, but I usually can't be bothered to wait that long. Screw EVs and IVs.
    As for the ubers, I don't really care about them, and I'll take my Jumpluffs over Mewtwos, Lugias and whatever any day.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    ps if you want my opinion i just used pokesav to take the coolest pokemon i had caught and give them good moves and evs. also i've never bothered playing multiplayer

I guess you're right. I never considered there to be a fun aspect to EV training, breeding for genders, natures, and moves. I used Pokesav before too, lol. Its a wonderful program ^_^

I've tried breeding and EVing and all that maybe 2 years ago, but it just bored the hell out of me and eventually the tedium broke my will to achieve anything in that direction.

That's the same thing that happened to me. After I beat the core story of a Pokemon game I'll try and EV Train and stuff, but I just get to bored and quit at it. Lol.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    I've tried breeding and EVing and all that maybe 2 years ago, but it just bored the hell out of me and eventually the tedium broke my will to achieve anything in that direction.

That's the same thing that happened to me. After I beat the core story of a Pokemon game I'll try and EV Train and stuff, but I just get to bored and quit at it. Lol.

Last edited:

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    me, i barley even play b/ss anymore (don't have the time to), so im never concerend about ev training to be the perfect. all that matters to me is getting my favorite pokemon, get them the most suitable nature and ability, and moves. then battling online for the fun of it, too bad it's too hard to find anyone else who would battle the same way i do, everyone is almost into ev training and all that, so i will always be facing someone overpowered..

Years
  • I couldn't care less about IVs and EVs. I just catch some good pokemon and train them to my very best. I don't even think about Ubers or OUs or UUs or whatever, I just think of them as pokemon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'm halfway in between on this. I'll breed for IV's and EV train, but I use the Pokemon that I prefer and not the ones that necessarily fit into a "tier." My logic is that I don't want to use Pokemon I don't like or aren't comfortable with using, but I do want to make the ones that I do use to be the best they can be.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I have never really been the competitive pokemon player. Sure I like wi-fi battling and all, but usually in my games I'm just doing something that I think is fun. Sometimes fun is EV training (which I am still learning about), trying to complete my pokedex, or just doing simple things like pokemon contests. It varies depending on my mood at the time.

I can't really say why some people are so serious. Maybe they're not as serious as made out to be. Just love playing pokemon and they just happen to EV train and breed perfect pokemon just to keep the games interesting.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I'm a competitive battler and Ev training, Breeding, IV Breeding can be fun, but sometimes it is just downright boring .____. Its one of those things you have to be in the mood for.

The people that are serious have no life just take battling to another leveling, a freaky kinda scary level but they enjoy it.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I don't have time to create perfection for all my Pokemons. There are times when I do EV train my party, and I usually breed a Pokemon for a specific moveset. However, I will not waste my time and life on making my Pokemons invincible.

The IV breeding system is too confusing for me. It also takes forever to breed a Pokemon with perfect IV, nature, and the right moves. Most of the time, I can't keep track with how many EV points my Pokemons need and have already gained. There was this one time that I got a headache for trying to EV train my Togekiss, Arcanine, Absol, Lucario, and Butterfree.

However, I know many users and people out there that are proud of this. I would too if I know how to do this on a daily basis.

Years
  • Hah, to be honest, I don't even really know what EV's and IV's are...
    Well, I think I understand EV training a bit, but IV's... no.
    ANYWAYS about the competitive battling and such, I don't really care about that stuff.I think it IS kinda... "tedious" to continuously breed a Pokemon over and over to get a certain move or something...

The only thing I care about is the nature of a Pokemon, but not all that much. If I feel that the nature fits the Pokemon appearance wise, I'll keep it. But if its nature kinda messes up its stats a bit, then I might release it and catch another. :3

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Hah, to be honest, I don't even really know what EV's and IV's are...
    Well, I think I understand EV training a bit, but IV's... no.
    ANYWAYS about the competitive battling and such, I don't really care about that stuff.I think it IS kinda... "tedious" to continuously breed a Pokemon over and over to get a certain move or something...

The only thing I care about is the nature of a Pokemon, but not all that much. If I feel that the nature fits the Pokemon appearance wise, I'll keep it. But if its nature kinda messes up its stats a bit, then I might release it and catch another. :3
    IVs.....god I haven't even found out what that is yet. :D
    I pay more attention to nature, it's more important than EVs...and IVs (???). Though sometimes I end up spending like thirty minutes to an hour trying to get the "right" nature for my pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    I have EV trained a total of three Pokemon, and that was because it was redoing my team, and I wanted to try it out. Otherwise, there is really only one thing that I care about and that's Natures. This is due to the fact that I'm not a competitive battler, so I don't care about the 'competitive aspect' of Pokemon as a whole.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I'm no competitive battler by any means and I've only IV bred/EV trained two pokemon since 1998, but I'm not gonna discount those who are as taking the game too seriously. They play the game in the way they find the most fun and we should all do the same. XD

Back