• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Using A BIOS File Is A Thing You Should Do

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Do you use some flavour of VBA? Most likely you do, it's one of the most visible and ubiquitous GBA emulators available. Here's an open secret: VBA is pretty buggy. It's gotten better, but the fragmentation of development across so many forks isn't all that conducive to spreading fixes.

Here's a fun thing to try: go patch a clean copy of Fire Red with MrDollSteak's patch and then change Bulbasaur's moveset so that its first move is Flash Cannon instead of Tackle, then go use it against Green. Did it work? Probably. (If it didn't, then you're cheating and skipped ahead in the book.) Now go download a GBA BIOS file and set the emulator up to use it and try again. Didn't work that time, did it? Weird. What's going on here?

Before I hacked Pokémon, I hacked Sonic. The Megadrive also has a BIOS, but in practice nobody uses it because what I just said wasn't quite true - it's not a BIOS (though it occasionally gets referred to as such) because it doesn't handle any IO. The GBA's BIOS is more involved - it provides utility functions for all sorts of things. If you don't use a BIOS file, then the emulator falls back on a set of routines written by its developers to simulate the presence of a BIOS.

However, this means that if you don't use a BIOS file, you are likely to hit corner cases which the developers of the emulator didn't know about or consider. This happens with the Flash Cannon animation in MrDollSteak's patch, which I'm betting was only tested on VBA without a BIOS file. Using a BIOS file ensures compatibility with hardware is the best it can be, so you should do it when hacking.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I know nothing whatsoever about dumping things. For all I know the BIOS for the GBA is identical in all regions so you can just find one from the same place you find ROMs.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2015
    I know nothing whatsoever about dumping things. For all I know the BIOS for the GBA is identical in all regions so you can just find one from the same place you find ROMs.

I appreciate the help, but I don't use those sites. I'll be ordering a flash cart for the GBA and doing what cosarara linked.

Back