• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Wich is the best starter?...

Which is the best starter for R/B

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    I am a dedicated Grass-type user. I have NEVER started a game (with the exception of Crystal, and I'd already played Gold) without choosing the Grass-type starter. I know that I dislike the water-starters with a passion. Blastoise is boring, Feraligatr is just weird, and Swampert... well, let's just say I only got it to Marshstomp before I reset the game XD

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    You can only find out if you like a Pokemon if you try it in battle. I decided I did not like the Water-starter so I restarted. It's really simple. I'll even list it for you.

Blue- Bulbasaur
    Yellow- Pikachu (not much of a choice here)
    Red- Bulbasaur
    Gold- Chikorita
    Silver- Don't own (sister started with Totodile)
    Crystal 1- Cyndaquil (I own two Crystals)
    Crystal 2- Chikorita (Kept unevolved throughout the whole game)
    Ruby- Treeko
    Sapphire- Treeko
    Sapphire Reset- Torchic
    Sapphire Reset 2- Mudkip
    Sapphire Reset 3- Treeko
    Sapphire Reset 4- Treeko
    Emerald- Treeko
    Emerald Reset- Torchic
    Leaf Green- Bulbasaur
    Leaf Green Reset- Charmander
    Leaf Green Reset 2- Squirtle
    Leaf Green Reset 3- Bulbasaur (kept unevolved throught the whole game)
    Leaf Green Reset 4- Charmander

shadow909

I'm the dragon master
    Years
    mine is bubasaur cause ive notice at the beggining hes stronger than squirtle and charmander

Years
    For starters it would definately be Bulbasaur coz it's alot easier to beat Brock and Misty with it. However, for later on in the game I think it would be better to have Charizard (so you start with Charmander obviously)

CardsOfTheHeart

We fight with our heart!
    Years
    each starter has its own qualities, but i would like to think of it in terms of the gyms they would be good and bad at based on type matchups:

pewter: bulba-best, squirt-best, char-bad; winner: bulba & squirt
    cerulean: bulba-good, squirt-neutral, char-bad; winner: bulba
    vermilion: bulba-good, squirt-bad, char-neutral; winner: bulba
    celadon: bulba-neutral, squirt-bad, char-good; winner: char
    fuchsia: bulba-bad, squirt-neutral, char-neutral; winner: squirt & char
    saffron: bulba-bad, squirt-neutral, char-neutral; winner: squirt & char
    cinnabar: bulba-bad, squirt-good, char-neutral; winner: squirt
    viridian: bulba-good, squirt-best, char-worst; winner: squirt

1st half winner: bulbasaur
    2nd half winner: squirtle
    AND THE WINNER IS: SQUIRTLE!!!

ok, ok, whatever. :\ bulbasaur's good at the beginning, charmander's good in the middle, and squirtle's good at the end. so... take your pick.

Dragonair-kun

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2007
    Charmander or Bulbasaur, Charizard has the strongest attack stats, Venusaur is more focused on special attacks, Blastoise, I'm not really sure. All are equal on it's stats. So, it'd be Bulbasaur ^_^

Pokemaster1110

Team Snorlax ******
    Years
    Truthfully, Bulbasaur is the best "early game" starter because he:

>KO's Brock's Pokemon
    >KO's Misty's Pokemon and is resistant to them
    >Is resistant to Lt. Surge's Pokemon

Squrtle is also nice but I am a big picture, long term guy, and so I stick with Charmander because of these reasons:

>Blastoise is a nice Pokemon, but Lapras and Gyrados are better
    >Grass is not a useful type, and Venusaur has a bad set of moves
    >Charizard is the best fire type in the game

Some may argue on the last point. Let me address the possible arguments.

>"Moltres is way stronger!" - This may be true, but Moltres has bad moves. I can't remember if he learns Flamethrower or not, but even if he does, its his only good attack. Fire Blast is too inacurate to rely on as your fire type attack.
    >"Arcanine is strong too!" - Also true. But can Arcanine fly? No. Does he learn Flamethrower? No.

The exception to all this is Magmar, who is a great pokemon, but can only be found in Blue and is not easy to get or raise. Stick with Charmander through those 1st two gyms (use them to get experience for your other pokemon) and you'll be glad you did.

Minako

[O n d i n e]
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 3, 2008
    In my personal opinion, Squirtle is the best of them.

... Though, game-wise, Bulbasaur wins. xP It's awesome for Gym battles, and there's lots of places in the game where it comes in handy, like getting through Rock Tunnel and beating Team Rocket [because of his Poison qualities].

Years
    It has to be charmander, its the best pokemon to start with, and the funnest , though now it can learn metal clawin the later game...it seems easy -_-''

Cooltrainer Lance

Flannery Fanboy
    Years
    To tell the truth I'm not a big water starter fan either. :\

Out of the three water's I'd pick mudkip because he's part ground. I'm a huge charmander fan in FrLg and R/B. Bulbasaur is okay but I'd definitely pick Charmander. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back