• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will the characters ever grow up???

TTYO

Old Timer
    Years
    In my fic series, Pokemon Beyond, Ash is already 18 and a member of the Wild Force(This is a special department of the Pokemon G-men it deals with Wild Pokemon that hurt or even eat humans)
    Max is helping Prof. Birch and he 's 13
    May is 15 and she attending high school
    Gary has a small high school criminal record for he stabbed Anakin's nose, he 's 18 and takes over his retired Grandfather's job.
    Misty and Brock are a... Love Hina-type couple(The girl punches the guy when he peeks at other girls.)
    Tracey assisting Gary and he's err... how old is he??
    Melody, 15, from the Shamuti islands is a lot more grown up, carries that conch-shell flute around. She summoned Lugia to defeat Godzilla who demolished a Tidal Wave power Plant in her homeland, Shamuti island.

O

Your Mom
    Years
    As far as I know, Anime Characters never age (depending on what kind of anime), But most of them never age. Like Batman for instance(i know he's like a comic), he's been arond for like a 100 years and he's still kicking butt. But in Dragonball Goku really does slightly turn into an Adult and the series progresses, so does everybody else. Pok?mon is like a Batman concept, so as long as the show goes on, the characters will never die. AND ALSO, it won't be every year that it's Ash's birthday, let's say each episode was a day and there's one episode a week so Ash wouldn't be 15/16 years old

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Here's the deal people. Anime wise, each League is about a year, since they're ALL annual according to the series (I think Ash's mom brings this up at the end of the first League). If THIS is taken into account, then this is how the ages would add up after Hoenn.

Ash: 13
    Misty: 14
    May: 11
    Brock: 17
    Max: 10*
    Gary: 14**

*Max was nine when the Hoenn Saga began. He clearly stated that he had to wait a year to become a Trainer, and people can get their licenses at 10.

**Gary might actually be the same age as Ash. That was harder to determine, but he was taller in the beginning.

If you follow the above chart, then it states that everyone except May and Max will be teenagers after Hoenn. Thus, that would be a good place to throw in the traditional Anime 2-year break and deepen everyone's voices.

Also, remember that the title, Pokemon Advance Generation is NOT just a clever way to advertise the GBA games. It could also symbolize advancement in and of itself, which could mean many things. One of the things could be the characters are advancing in age, or in lamen's terms, becoming mature...

Note: If and when the industry actually ages the characters, don't be surprised if Ash comes out sounding like Goku, or Tenchi. Those are just two of the biggest voice artists in the American Industry currently.

Last edited:

Water Pokemon Master

Water Pokemon Enthusiast
    Years
    You know, in some episodes they might sleep one night...but isn't it usually a new episode one week? So Supose the average episode is 2 days in 30 minutes...and they show it once a week for about 6 years...<dies>
    I have no idea how that problem would come out as...but if there's any mathmititions (I'm no speller either) here maybe they can figure it out.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    There IS another theory. My friends and colleagues, the cast of Pokemon might be suffering from the Rugrats Syndrome... In that show, the characters were babies for a decade, then suddenly 10 years older. If THIS is the case, then we might have another 4 years... But that will give them time to complete Hoenn and those Islands that I can't remember the names of... They'll end up growing up at about the same time that I think they will...

Yeah... So, in the end, that wouldn't make much of a difference...

Sunflorazumarill

Look, it's Sunflorazumarill!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2012
    I'm putting in my two cents to this. Here's how I think it works. There's a little something called "time lag", where how long the series has been going on for is not how long the jounrney has lasted.

Here's how I calculate the time length of Ash's journey. The series has been going on for six years. So take that amount of time and subtract a year to a year-and-a-half (due to stuff like summer) and you get how long Ash and Co.'s journey has lasted. So in my opinion, Ash's journey has lasted for around four-and-a-half to five years. There will be more time lag in the future as well (about a year real time being six months Pok?mon time). That is *** I figure the journey's time.

PikaPal

Ghost Type Master
    Years
    I think that they are already older. I think that Ash is 15 now(or 14) and Misty's a year older. Brock started out w/ them as 13, so he's like 18 now. Each time a pkmn league ends, 1 year has passed.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    Well, there are some notable differences in Ash's appearence alone. For one, he's more toned now. I'm pretty sure the other characters outside of May and Max may have differences too.

In fact, the only characters that don't look any different (in terms of aging) are the Team Rocket Trio.

Determining age is a hard argument to make, considering that if they don't flat out tell you, you are either supposed to assume so, or you follow the cartoon standard that characters never age.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    In any case, I think we'll know better how old the characters are after the Hoenn Saga. But you might be right. They might have longer life spans...

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    I think that they've all only aged about 2 years from the start of the show, they look know diffrent!

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I think everyone matured as the show progress. So I think it will be great if they all grown up. I know Ash will be super hot. ^__^ Right now I think Ash is 13-14.(In real life he would be 16 or 17, but that just me. @___@)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2004
    There are some really sad posts in this thread....they're cartoons, I like the show, but people, it's a cartoon.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    To Nismo: That's spam, you know...

Anyway, the Anime timeline and real life timeline are completely different. If the show was indeed progressing in real-time, then Ash and his friends would indeed be 16-17 and up, but the fact is that it has only been 3 years tops since Ash first began the journey, and that makes him 13-14 by the end of Hoenn. Figuring in the other ages, it's easiest to just go by the Chart at the top of this page.

Toruko-Jin-Selim

Big pok?mon fan!
    Years
    i think the gang are growing up but it's taking a slow process, ash has matured and learn't alot since the start of the episodes, so wait and see ^^

Back