• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 10: Media Player vs Windows Media Player

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 27
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Recently, I tried downloading an example of a video game music remix. (For legal reasons, I did this with music that is not available for streaming because the artist only uploaded it to YouTube and nowhere else. It was the "Metal Sonic" theme from Sonic Mania in the original Crash Bandicoot 2 Cortex Strikes Back soundfont.) I tried listening to it on my computer with my headphones, but it always sounded low-quality, like it had been heavily compressed. I tried downloading in different ways but nothing helped. Finally I tried opening the file with something other than Media Player, and then I realized that Media Player was indeed to blame. As the title suggests, I listened to the song properly with Windows Media Player, which I am shocked is a completely different app. Apparently Media Player is the successor to Windows Media Player. Does anyone know why the newer Media Player makes music sound lower quality than Windows Media Player? Also, I tried Googling the issue, and ... Why is there a third "Media Player" for Windows 11? What is even happening?

Back