• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows Geniune Pop Up

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Basically, Volume License Keys.

Why even have to bother WGA when you have the selection of any kind of XP ever.

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
    According to an arstechnica article, 22% of Windows installations were identified as "not genuine," and 90% of those were false positives related to issues that had nothing to do with piracy (for instance, misuse of a vendor OEM license on a non-authorized computer).

Actually, OEM software being used on a machine that it was not authorized for is considered pirated software. That is one reason Ebay doesn't allow the sale of OEM software. (Although I HAVE seen it being sold on Ebay anyway, and have actually bought an OEM game from Ebay. FYI, I already owned the hardware that the game was authorized to be used on)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Actually, OEM software being used on a machine that it was not authorized for is considered pirated software. That is one reason Ebay doesn't allow the sale of OEM software. (Although I HAVE seen it being sold on Ebay anyway, and have actually bought an OEM game from Ebay. FYI, I already owned the hardware that the game was authorized to be used on)
    Talk to ars about it, I pretty much quoted them word for word on that statement.

Anyway, the point is that WGA has an absurdly high false positive rate, and there's absolutely no reason to have it on your system. If you don't have it, don't install it; if you do have it, try using the batch file I provided earlier if you're using XP.

Last edited:

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    On the topic of WGA, Microsoft are removing it for Windows 7 apparently. Even pirate copies will be able to download updates, which I find both smart and stupid.

1. It'll discourage people from buying it
    2. Keep people away from Mac/OSX and Linux

Let's just hope Windows 7 is decent after Vista. :P

twocows

Years
    On the topic of WGA, Microsoft are removing it for Windows 7 apparently. Even pirate copies will be able to download updates, which I find both smart and stupid.

1. It'll discourage people from buying it
    2. Keep people away from Mac/OSX and Linux

Let's just hope Windows 7 is decent after Vista. :P
    Microsoft is more worried about 2 than 1 right now. OS X passed the 10% mark a few months ago (then fell under it again), and Linux just passed the 1% mark a few days ago (source). They're losing serious ground, and while piracy may not gain them any immediate income, it prevents people from changing to something else.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    Can we close this I found a solution!

Stop being so selfish and let the discussion continue. I have a problem too, you know. My Microsoft Office isn't genuine, and I want to remove the thing at the top that says 'This version of Office isn't genuine." How do I do that?

extramaster

Pokemon Diamond master
    Years
    :( This happened to my sister's computer and the only thing this did was disabling the windows media player (p.s. The place that sold my sister's computer gave her a cd with a fake serial number and we didn't realise that for about 2 years)

as2

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2009
    Stop being so selfish and let the discussion continue. I have a problem too, you know. My Microsoft Office isn't genuine, and I want to remove the thing at the top that says 'This version of Office isn't genuine." How do I do that?
    You buy a copy? Simple, really.. Or use OpenOffice!

twocows

Years
    Unlike with the OS, you'll most likely have to validate it. Office has the WGA validation engine built in, and the only way you can get it out is by using a cracked version. If it won't validate online, use the phone service; it takes forever, but it works.

Back