• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wolfie's recent sigs (Constructive criticism welcomed)

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
Years
  • Just wanted to show some stuff I've been doing over the past few months.

Spoiler:

I welcome constructive criticism, I'm always looking for helpful tips since I want to get better.

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
  • Sig 1: 7/10 It's okay
    Sig 2: 8/10, because it's Genesis
    Sig 3: 9/10 Cloud~
    Sig 4: 5/10 It's okay, but I like Suzaku better
    Sig 5: 8/10 It's an awesome Bleach sig
    Sig 6: 7/10 No Comment
    Sig 7:ZOMG Zidane 10/10 for it looking good and being pure awesomeness

Do you think it would be okay if you made a theme for me? O: I'd really like that. If you can, please send me a VM, so I can know if you accept or not, and I can tell you what I'd like. If not, send me a VM anyway, I'd prefer not to be ignored. :)

-Sonic~Boom-

☆彡
    Years
  • They are impressive! =)

You need more flow though. This looks like a main problem. It looks like with your renders you just Copy and Paste them on and the do Outer Glow.

Use a few tutorials and I'm sure you'll improve.

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
  • I think I know what you're getting at and I'm still trying to work out how to make them flow more better.

I tried some tutorials the other day but they turned out completely wrong.

ShadowPand3monium

IS BACK!!!! sorta...
    Years
  • Pretty good for a beginner. If you are one.... hehehe if not then sorry. lol. Anyways, Sonic is right, you need more flow and details. Using tutorials will help greatly. It helped me SO SO MUCH! If you understand them better, then you'll see it's very simple. I'm still learning, and I can't quite get passed the level I am at =_= lol. But try harder and harder. If you need any questions/answers, ask me or other expert photoshoppers. Trust me.... there's more than me... and better ppl. haha.

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
  • One thing I'm noticing about all your banners is that the render doesn't quite blend in with the background... at all. @_@ As somebody else has already said, it looks as though you're just making a background, C+P-ing your renders onto the canvas, and applying an outer glow layer style. First of all; outer glow = no. If there's one thing I've learned regarding GFX, it's that outer glow NEVER works... with anything. It seems like it would be a cool effect, right? Wrong, it's not. Especially when there's so many other techniques you could use to achieve the desired effect (such as smudging on a different layer type, etc). Second of all, the render should be one of the first things in place. That way you avoid the "this-was-slapped-on-in-the-last-minute" look, if you know what I mean. Not to mention having the render in place when you start helps you design the background around it.

Another thing I'd like to comment on is your use of text. Don't use gradients when it comes to text. Period. Also, having the text the same color as the background isn't exactly a great thing to do (most of the time). In my opinion, text should sort of stand out. Usually you can get away with plain white, but sometimes you need fool around with it to find the right color. I usually consult a color wheel, just so I know which color is complimentary to the background so I can work off of that.

Y'know what? Here; I want you to read up on color theory. I know it might sound boring, but I really think you could benefit from it. In my opinion, it looks like you already know how to use Photoshop. It's just the elements of design you need to familiarize yourself with. Also, check out a few tutorials on dA. Tutorials are really helpful when it comes to picking up new techniques.

Anyway, I could get into depth, lighting, focals, space and all of those boring things, but I'm sure you've heard it all before. Like I said, look up some basic elements of design on google or something. I'm sure you'll find them useful sooner or later.

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
  • Pretty good for a beginner. If you are one.... hehehe if not then sorry. lol. Anyways, Sonic is right, you need more flow and details. Using tutorials will help greatly. It helped me SO SO MUCH! If you understand them better, then you'll see it's very simple. I'm still learning, and I can't quite get passed the level I am at =_= lol. But try harder and harder. If you need any questions/answers, ask me or other expert photoshoppers. Trust me.... there's more than me... and better ppl. haha.

I'm not exactly a beginner, but trust me, I'm not expert either XD

Motsuko Live said:
    One thing I'm noticing about all your banners is that the render doesn't quite blend in with the background... at all. @_@ As somebody else has already said, it looks as though you're just making a background, C+P-ing your renders onto the canvas, and applying an outer glow layer style. First of all; outer glow = no. If there's one thing I've learned regarding GFX, it's that outer glow NEVER works... with anything. It seems like it would be a cool effect, right? Wrong, it's not. Especially when there's so many other techniques you could use to achieve the desired effect (such as smudging on a different layer type, etc). Second of all, the render should be one of the first things in place. That way you avoid the "this-was-slapped-on-in-the-last-minute" look, if you know what I mean. Not to mention having the render in place when you start helps you design the background around it.

Another thing I'd like to comment on is your use of text. Don't use gradients when it comes to text. Period. Also, having the text the same color as the background isn't exactly a great thing to do (most of the time). In my opinion, text should sort of stand out. Usually you can get away with plain white, but sometimes you need fool around with it to find the right color. I usually consult a color wheel, just so I know which color is complimentary to the background so I can work off of that.

Y'know what? Here; I want you to read up on color theory. I know it might sound boring, but I really think you could benefit from it. In my opinion, it looks like you already know how to use Photoshop. It's just the elements of design you need to familiarize yourself with. Also, check out a few tutorials on dA. Tutorials are really helpful when it comes to picking up new techniques.

Anyway, I could get into depth, lighting, focals, space and all of those boring things, but I'm sure you've heard it all before. Like I said, look up some basic elements of design on google or something. I'm sure you'll find them useful sooner or later.

Hmm, at least it wasn't a 'HAHA YOU PHAIL' type comment XD

Aaaanyways, I'll take a look at that link and see what I can do, I'll have another look at dA for tutorials (I seem to only get just brushes there XD).

I do envy all of these amazing looking sigs other people have done and I really am trying to get better ^^;

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
  • Ohhh, that's incredible! <3 Thank you sooo much! =3 I'll update it onto my sig nao! =D

.Wolfie-kun.

The Raggedy Doctor
    Years
  • No problem =) Anyways, here's my new one (Combining the tutorial I found for wee187's siggy and another I found today)

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Cool points if you know who Gackt is <3

Back