• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen World-wide wi-fi trading

Who thinks that World-Wide trading is an awesome feature.

• I think it's awesome!!

Votes: 60 83.3%
  • It's Okay...

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • It's stupid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • World-wide trading? What's that?

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    ^Yes you will. It's called the frikkin' Wi-Fi connection. And for the last time, D/P is not region-locked.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    From what I saw on official WiFi Site, if you ever change the DS your D/P game is inserted in, you get reassigned a new friend code, and you lose all your friends on the old one... :/

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2007
    (PS- I got a Manaphy/Phione in my Ranger game. If anybody wants one when the American D/P GTS goes up, PM me. I'm not a mean guy, I'll trade you reasonably.)

I'll trade with you when the games come out. If you want to make plans (when, ect.) then chat with me on AIM. my screen name is Lakecassie[/QUOTE]

aquariumboy

\m/_ ((-L-)) _\m/
    Years
    I think it's awesome! But it's not exactly like everyone says. The friends code comes with the game, it is made when they make it. No 2 friends codes are the same because they always check it in factory, and you can't change it. Otherwise it would be messed up in so many ways.
    i dont think thats true...
    if it was the case i wouldnt be able to wifi race on mario cart with my r4 and m3. the wifi chip is inside your ds, once you go and start the wifi on your game for the first time it makes you a friend code that saves into the save files.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    From what I saw on official WiFi Site, if you ever change the DS your D/P game is inserted in, you get reassigned a new friend code, and you lose all your friends on the old one... :/

This is true. Whenever I switch to my sister's DS when mine dies, my Wi-Fi says asks if I'm willing to delete all past information and get a new FC.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I think it's great, I never have anybody to trade with so it will be useful to get pokes that only evolve through trading.

typeZERO

Great Ninja, Uria!
    Years
    You can only request Pokémon on the GTS that you have seen. So, if you haven't seen a Magnemite, you can not request it.
    So , what about Shinou Pokemon? Surely it should let you get a Shinou Pokemon even f you haven't seen it like a Dakrai or Aruseus. If not then what's the point of having the GTS if you can't trade for non-national dex pokemon that you haven't seen??? :P

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Originally posted by Paranoia
    Well, It's extemely simple, firstly you'll need a wireless internet, or purchase the Nintendo WI-FI USB from Nintendo, but you can only use Wifi with broadband.

Um.. is this really true? x_x Because I have dial-up and uh..yeah. *dies* Where I live I can't get cable or satellite (most of the sattelite internet companies don't have service for my area). Plus I remember my friend Tom mentioning something about having dial-up and wifi too...(he lives in a more isolated place). So now I'm kinda confuzzled...=/

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    So , what about Shinou Pokemon? Surely it should let you get a Shinou Pokemon even f you haven't seen it like a Dakrai or Aruseus. If not then what's the point of having the GTS if you can't trade for non-national dex pokemon that you haven't seen??? :P
    Nope, not even Sinnoh Pokémon. If you don't have an etry in your Dex, you can't request it.
    Nintendo probably made that step to prevent trading of illegally cheated Pokémon, such a Darkrai, Shaymin, etc, which can not be obtained from other places than an Event.

Um.. is this really true? x_x Because I have dial-up and uh..yeah. *dies* Where I live I can't get cable or satellite (most of the sattelite internet companies don't have service for my area). Plus I remember my friend Tom mentioning something about having dial-up and wifi too...(he lives in a more isolated place). So now I'm kinda confuzzled...=/

I haven't heared that you can only use the WFC with broadband yet. It might be reccomended since the things work faster then, but it should also work with ISDN, etc.
    If you get the USB connector from Nintendo to simulate a WiFi network for your DS (if you don't already have a supported wireless router), it should even work with Dial-up connections.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2007
    Speaking of Wi-Fi anyone have a legit Celebi they want to trade, I accept clones, if so what do you want for it?

Trainer Kat

→ voodoo jungle d r u m s;;
    Years
    If you trade with someone directly, no, you don't need to see them.
    If you use the GTS, yes, you do.

By trade with someone directly, do you mean someone who is RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU WITH THEIR DS, or using friend codes?

Say I connect with someone else via wi-fi friend codes. Could I recieve, say, a Meowth, even if I hadn't seen one yet?

Second question...If I battled via wi-fi, and my opponent used a Meowth, it would then be registered as having been seen, and I could trade for one, right?

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
    Years
    Yes to both. Local wireless or Friend Codes will allow you to get a Pokemon you haven't met yet. That's sort of the point. <.<;

As for the battle, I'd say yes, but I don't know for sure.

Trainer Kat

→ voodoo jungle d r u m s;;
    Years
    Thank god. I have no intention of catching a plane to New York just to get a shot at Darkrai.
    Yeah, I figured that was the point, but you'd think the GTS would allow you to get a Pokemon you haven't met yet as well. I mean, what's the difference between coordinating with someone on a forum to get an illegit Pokemon and finding a random person to trade one? O.o
    Thanks though, that really helps a lot.

LordxDanswich

Lord of the Sammich!
    Years
    Yes to both. Local wireless or Friend Codes will allow you to get a Pokemon you haven't met yet. That's sort of the point. <.<;

As for the battle, I'd say yes, but I don't know for sure.

No the battle won't count towards your pokedex, it never has and it never will.

Sorry to burst your bubble trainer kat.

typeZERO

Great Ninja, Uria!
    Years
    Nope, not even Sinnoh Pokémon. If you don't have an etry in your Dex, you can't request it.
    Nintendo probably made that step to prevent trading of illegally cheated Pokémon, such a Darkrai, Shaymin, etc, which can not be obtained from other places than an Event.

I haven't heared that you can only use the WFC with broadband yet. It might be reccomended since the things work faster then, but it should also work with ISDN, etc.
    If you get the USB connector from Nintendo to simulate a WiFi network for your DS (if you don't already have a supported wireless router), it should even work with Dial-up connections.

Hmmm....So you can't get event or unlisted/unseen pokes unless you have a friend near you that can trade with wi-fi? Just asking.

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    Hmmm....So you can't get event or unlisted/unseen pokes unless you have a friend near you that can trade with wi-fi? Just asking.

Yup, the whole thing applies only to the GTS. You can still trade all Pokémon if you link up with a friend and he or you have them.

Back